Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-08-2004, 19:39   #1
flogen

How much has Madonna sold so far?

Given they are still advertising for the gig pretty much everywhere, and the fact that the tickets are at a rediculous price for a very poor quality gig, I wonder how many tickets have been sold?

Anyone have a good idea of how many are left? Please, someone tell me its going to be a crowd of 200 people, all there because they won tickets on the radio.

flogen
Advertisement
23-08-2004, 19:48   #2
super_furry

According to Today FM a couple of days ago, they've sold just over half the available tickets. It's a piss-poor line up at a rip-off price.
23-08-2004, 22:08   #3
DrColossus

yeah i heard the darkness were supporting? who's the line up anyway?
24-08-2004, 10:21   #4
grumpytrousers

I think the lineup is something like Oakenfold, the darkness and Iggy Pop. I've said it before - I'll say it again, Madonnas target audience as at Auguest 2004 is thirty something women and gay men. Not big Darkness fans , much less Iggy-heads!

The traditional Slane Audience has tended to be a lot of 'we've just done the leaving cert let's get locked' brigade. And a fair few people in twenties/early thirties. So - U2, Stereophonics, RHCP, REM all attract a certain 'lad' factor, know what i mean?

The price is also rather prohibitive. Inasmuch as Madonna is 'living legend' I'd love to see her, but for the money being asked, I'd expect to *see* her. I mean in somewhere like the Point.

regarding sales - there was a throwaway caption on a picture in the tribune of her and they said that sales had been 'sluggish'

*edit* also, given that Ian Dempsey had Lord Henry on this morning talking it up, 2fm were giving away tix this a.m., today fm have been at it all weekend, I think somebody somewhere is ****ting themselves. what's amusing is that the print media didn't play along this time. there were no huge puff pieces in the papers giving her loads of publicity at the weekend, and it's getting a bit late for the 'last minute' brigade to get their arses in gear now!

Last edited by grumpytrousers; 24-08-2004 at 10:24.
24-08-2004, 10:29   #5
p.pete

Send a message via AIM to p.pete Send a message via MSN to p.pete
A lot of the last-minute people will also go to Marley Park and give Slane a miss. Bad timing for Slane but Mags will get paid either way (she must have a clever manager being able to sell her to such a large venue).
Advertisement
24-08-2004, 10:30   #6
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
€88 to go see someone sing out of tune and dance about on a stage? My arse. As grumpytrousers says, the target audience is thirtysomethings. Most probably won't even watch the darkness. And Iggy Pop and Madonna aren't exactly 'similar'. Who comes up with these ridiculous pairings? Like Metallica and Linkin Park last year. What kind of morons organise these gigs?

I can't understand why anyone would pay this much money to go see this gig. Madonna can't sing live
24-08-2004, 10:36   #7
grumpytrousers

See Seamus - in a way, it was like MCD tried to second guess the market. "thirtysomethings have more disposable income, therefore they'll stump up the money".

WRONG WRONG WRONG

thirtysomethings have more disposable income but are more careful with it. However, give 'em a relatively cheap concert ticket, and the feckers will blow a fortune on merchandise. Well - they did at the Stones concerts in the Point last sept anyway.

Whether Madonna can or cant' sing live isn't that big a deal - i mean, all these 'diva' shows tend to be more 'spectacle' than sound anyway. From what i hear over the water, it's not that she 'can't' sing live that's the issue....

*cough*mimes*cough*
24-08-2004, 10:48   #8
Marq
Hosted Moderator

Reinvention!

Apparently sales have been "sluggish" for the entire tour, not just for her headline at Slane. So sluggish in fact that to combat it the 'Reinvention' Tour is being rebranded the 'Greatest Hits' tour for many gigs. That's something of a turn-around, oui non?
24-08-2004, 10:50   #9
bbop

The Darkness arent supporting anymore its just okenfold and iggy, how can mcd advertise the darkness as playing and then just pull them without telling anyone
Advertisement
24-08-2004, 10:57   #10
sharkman
Adverts.ie Moderator

What a strange line up .....

Gate Open: 4pm
Paul Oakenfold 5pm to 6pm
Iggy Pop & The Stooges 6.30pm to 7.30pm
Madonna 8.30pm
24-08-2004, 11:16   #11
grumpytrousers

touts taking a hit as well...

*strokes chin*

might go yet!!!
24-08-2004, 14:05   #12
p.pete

Send a message via AIM to p.pete Send a message via MSN to p.pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpytrousers
touts taking a hit as well...

*strokes chin*

might go yet!!!
That's funny - lots of desperate people

6 tickets for €250, ouch

<edit >
That's actually sterling - still a low price...
25-08-2004, 10:45   #13
eth0_

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_furry
According to Today FM a couple of days ago, they've sold just over half the available tickets. It's a piss-poor line up at a rip-off price.
Yeah I heard that on the radio too, just a few days ago, yet MCD were claiming in the Irish Times this morning that "95% of tickets have been sold".

LIES!
I cannot wait to see the thronging crowds at Slane on the telly, if shops are selling the tickets below face value and STILL not shifting units (heard that on here yesterday) then it doesn't add up.
25-08-2004, 10:48   #14
grumpytrousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth0_
Yeah I heard that on the radio too, just a few days ago, yet MCD were claiming in the Irish Times this morning that "95% of tickets have been sold".

LIES!
I cannot wait to see the thronging crowds at Slane on the telly, if shops are selling the tickets below face value and STILL not shifting units (heard that on here yesterday) then it doesn't add up.
Hmm...they wheeled out Tony Fenton on Toady FM to talk ad nauseum about her gigs he'd seen. As Jim Carroll pointed out in the times, it's okay for the hacks and jocks to go on and on about here - they're not being asked to stump up €90 for a ticket...

prices plummeting on ebay as well...
25-08-2004, 11:19   #15
BaZmO*

I remember posting about this a few months back, but the day that I posted was the day that the Boards server went down and all the posts that day were lost.

Anyway, the point that I made that time was that I really really hope that this gig flops. There’s a few reasons for this.

1. The absolute cheek of Madonna to refuse to play on a Saturday, citing that Saturday is her holy day yet she has no problem performing on our holy day.
2. The tickets are priced ridiculously considering the p1ss poor line up. Fair enough that Madonna is a living a legend and tbh I wouldn’t mind seeing her in concert, but you don’t **** over your fans with ridiculous ticket prices especially considering that a lot of people that would be going to the gig would have to take the Monday off work due to point 1.
3. My third and final point is, How many World Tours has Madonna had?
A LOT!!
And how many times has she come to Ireland with those World Tours?
ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADDA!

So as far as I’m concerned “Madge” can Fúck Off back to her Castle in the English countryside and continuing playing happy families with her Plastic “Cockney” husband!!!!

B.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion