new google email - 1 gig of storage for free! - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-05-2004, 13:06   #46
Terminator

It seems to be an occasional thing. On mothers day (USA) there was an option to give your Mom a gmail account. Of course the person I sent the invite to wasn't my mom at all.
Advertisement
13-05-2004, 13:08   #47
Blacknight
Verified representative

Send a message via AIM to Blacknight Send a message via MSN to Blacknight
I think it's a very tasty service. The way it handles mail is very nice and shows fantastic application of the google technology.
Some "standard" features are still absent and I know they are working on resolving some issues with certain browsers, but overall I love my gmail account.

Dahamsta - chill out. The advertising is pushed out using the same technology as adsense, so it's just a load of robots etc., ie. no human interaction and a hell of a lot easier to deal with than Yahoo or Hotmail crap.
13-05-2004, 13:17   #48
qBot

Send a message via Skype™ to qBot
Quote:
Originally posted by Terminator
It seems to be an occasional thing. On mothers day (USA) there was an option to give your Mom a gmail account. Of course the person I sent the invite to wasn't my mom at all.

ah well... i guess ill just have to wait a bit longer.
13-05-2004, 15:17   #49
dahamsta
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by blacknight
Dahamsta - chill out. The advertising is pushed out using the same technology as adsense, so it's just a load of robots etc., ie. no human interaction and a hell of a lot easier to deal with than Yahoo or Hotmail crap.
That's a bizarre reply Michele, it's like you read my objection and interpreted it as binary negative response. I'll post it again so you can try to assign a deeper meaning:

Quote:
Unfortunately it's not that simple cgarvey. I'd be the same as yourself in that if I have to deal with advertising, I'd prefer it was advertising that was appropriate to me. However that's not the issue. The problem is that Google will be in a position to create, store, and possibly sell very rich, extremely granular profiling data directly associated with your personal details. Of course Google says that they're committed to "not doing evil", but that data would be worth an awful lot of money. And they've got an IPO coming up...
Did I object to the advertising? No. Did I suggest that human interaction would be involved? No. And for the record I don't object to the advertising and I don't believe that humans are involved at any kind of integral level. Which leaves me with the question: Your reply is relevant to mine how exactly?

Let me be clear so this doesn't happen again: It's dangerous because /at some point in the future/ the data could be used for profiling: by Google, by a new owner, by someone Google sells to, or by a Government that subpoenas the data. Get it?

adam

Last edited by dahamsta; 13-05-2004 at 15:24.
Thanks from:
13-05-2004, 17:22   #50
thesteve

i just got an invite and my mind has gone blank on a unique name... any ideas? has to be something i can use on the cv etc, so nothin obscene!
Advertisement
13-05-2004, 18:01   #51
Terminator

Username's must be 6 characters or more so if your name was joseph soap, you could go for

joseph@gmail.com
josoap@gmail.com
soapster@gmail.com

Etc

Try to get as close to your name as possible - something that's easy to remember. Most other users will have to add in numbers to their usernames so get a good one while you still can.
13-05-2004, 19:31   #52
jank

damm
there goes my jank@gmail.com

anybody know when it will move from beta to.....i dont know public!?
14-05-2004, 17:24   #53
krattapopov

hehe time to strut oh yes, got me a gmailer

im cheap so ill let the bidding start at 50 quid for an invitation, beat that dangerman
14-05-2004, 17:57   #54
alleepally

handy link below if you want to check is the name you want still available.

http://www.fscom.net/gmail/
Advertisement
14-05-2004, 18:16   #55
hostyle

Quote:
Originally posted by alleepally
handy link below if you want to check is the name you want still available.

http://www.fscom.net/gmail/
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but what are the chances that whoever is running that site will register any name you type in, in an attempt to sell it to you later?
14-05-2004, 19:19   #56
thesteve

thats my motto... paranoia is your ownly friend!
14-05-2004, 19:55   #57
alleepally

Quote:
Originally posted by hostyle
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but what are the chances that whoever is running that site will register any name you type in, in an attempt to sell it to you later?
Anythings possible I guess but think about it rationally

a) who in their right mind would be bothered registering hundreds, if not thousdands of email addresses

b) 90% of people will just choose an alternative if the name they want is gone when the thing goes public.

c) how would said bogeyman know how to contact you out of the internet population and track you down to sell you an address.
14-05-2004, 20:35   #58
Karoma

Quote:
Originally posted by hostyle

about the same odds a domain reseller registers the domain name you search for...

Quote:
anybody know when it will move from beta to.....i dont know public!?
it'll probably always remain "beta" - see 'news'... when it's made public-nobody knows. try macspy.com - 1 gig mail + 350mb storage apparently..
14-05-2004, 20:40   #59
qBot

Send a message via Skype™ to qBot
supposedly yahoo is going to increase it's storage space to 100mb over the summer. Take a look here. It ain't a gig, but tis better than nothing.
15-05-2004, 17:44   #60
flogen

Quote:
Originally posted by qBot
supposedly yahoo is going to increase it's storage space to 100mb over the summer. Take a look here. It ain't a gig, but tis better than nothing.
too little too late really, i mean, theyre offering 10% of what google have to offer, without the nice search and conversation features. Once google sort out their spam guard and afew other bits that need fixing (like automatically adding any address you send to into your contacts) then they'll be hard pushed to find real competition to them. that Mac or spymac service looks good, at least it has the 1gb. The only reason I'll keep using my yahoo account is for the webspace, its the only thing google dont seem to offer. spymac does tho.

Flogen

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion