Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-04-2014, 16:50   #1
tophurler

Lubuntu Broadcom Question

Hi,

I'm just recently after making the move from Xp to Lubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 1501. After hours of meddling I managed to get the issue with the wireless sorted. (Although I tried so many steps I'm still unsure which one did the trick! ). I find it great, laptop has become practically silent while running and is working great for the basics.

My question is as follows and I'd be grateful for the help, I have tried to use a Lubuntu Live USB on another Dell laptop with the same broadcom issue, is it possible to copy a certain set of folders from the laptop that is working and move them across?

I saw it mentioned on another site while searching the initial problem but cannot remember where!

Thanks in advance,

TH
Advertisement
15-04-2014, 14:01   #2
Stuxnet

What do you mean by working set of folders ?

For wireless in ubuntu, if you find the driver isnt working out of the box,

just plug in a ethernet cable, or tether your phones internet connection via usb, and go to the "additional drivers" (system settings > software sources > additional drivers)menu, this will download the wireless driver you need. No hours of meddling

Last edited by Stuxnet; 15-04-2014 at 14:04.
15-04-2014, 16:02   #3
Ste-

HMod: Energy FM
I think what he means is to carry the driver on a usb stick so he wouldn't need an ethernet cable to update the driver.
15-04-2014, 22:34   #4
tophurler

Thanks for the replies, yes I mean could I carry it on USB with me, if I didn't have an Ethernet cable where I was trying to sort the issue?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion