Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Loughc wrote: »
    Chris Hemsworth is Thor, Liam is his brother.

"He's adopted".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

To be fair, best fake presidential speech ever.

id4-salute-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Roland Emmerich has been tweeting that Brent Spiner is on board for the sequel. Which will be a surprise, since I'm sure I recall his character getting blown up at one point.
    edit: Dr. Brakish Okun is apparently not dead, but in a coma:
    He really wants to do a sequel to ID4. He said he talked to Dean Devlin recently, and apparently there has been some deal made with 20th Century Fox and he asked Dean if he's dead and Dean said, "No. The first scene in the movie is a hammer hitting a board and we pan out and they're re-building the White House. The second scene in the movie is Okun waking up from a coma." And Brent made a joke about how it's probably Okun's Evil Twin, Lore Okun!

brentspiner-independenceday-excited-tsr.jpg

I also think it would be a nice nod to get Mae Whitman (President Whitmore's daughter) back, now that she's grown up to be a DUFF. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

bnt wrote: »
    Roland Emmerich has been tweeting that Brent Spiner is on board for the sequel. Which will be a surprise, since I'm sure I recall his character getting blown up at one point.

I also think it would be a nice nod to get Mae Whitman (President Whitmore's daughter) back, now that she's grown up to be a DUFF. :pac:

Her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Her?
    No. Egg.

Series 3 was such a let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 djspunky

They're gonna ruin the first one which is one of my all time faves, it just wont be the same with Captain Hillard.

How exactly will they ruin it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How exactly will they ruin it?

I saw a post on Facebook around when JK Rowling published her book for adults and it went along the lines of "Oh this is ruining my childhood". I also wondered how exactly?

With ID4 it will at the maximum blemish a franchise many of us are fans of, but it won't ruin the original movie for me, in the same way the three turds that were the Transformers movies didnt ruin the original memories I have of watching and playing with Transformers, or the recent mediocre Ninja Turtles movie ruined my memories of the Ninja Turtles from when I was a kid.

Its unfortunate, but if you were a child of the eighties or nineties, many of your childhood entertainment staples are now being rebooted and some work really well(The Dark Knight, Iron Man etc), and some are utter tripe(Transformers, Tobey Maguire's Spiderman, Star Wars prequels etc). I suppose you have to take the rough with the smooth and if a movie is really bad, just try to ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

bnt wrote: »

Wait, that was Brent Spiner?! Feck, I need to rewatch ID4 again as I totally did not get that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why do people call it ID4? What will happen when the 4th movie is released?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thargor wrote: »
    Why do people call it ID4? What will happen when the 4th movie is released?

ID42 :o

ID4-7
    Or
    ID4-July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

ID4: Randy Quaid Jailbreak.

McChubbin wrote: »
    Wait, that was Brent Spiner?! Feck, I need to rewatch ID4 again as I totally did not get that!

Its 20 years later and you didn't realise Brent Spiner was in the fillum?

OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

syklops wrote: »
    Its 20 years later and you didn't realise Brent Spiner was in the fillum?

OK.

Neither did I!

I knew his face and I knew I knew him, but I never bothered to take it any further for some reason. :o

Neither did I!

I knew his face and I knew I knew him, but I never bothered to take it any further for some reason. :o

I think you need to consult that almanac of yours. And if some kid or a wild-eyed looking scientist show up looking to buy it, don't sell it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bill Pullman and Judd Hirsch returning Source

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sela Ward will be playing the President

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Elessar

I just watched Independence Day again and I have to say it's actually a pretty great film. The performances from the main guys are good, the action is terrific (they don't seem to do set pieces like the attacks any more), the build up is good, it's funny, the story threads are tied off nicely. It knows what kind of film it is. A solid popcorn movie. After all these years, I still really enjoy it.

Looking forward with muted anticipation for the sequel. Delighted most of the cast are back (especially Goldblum!).

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sela Ward will be playing the President

Had to google her, but thats good news. She's very easy on the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Elessar wrote: »
    I just watched Independence Day again and I have to say it's actually a pretty great film. The performances from the main guys are good, the action is terrific (they don't seem to do set pieces like the attacks any more)
    Looking forward with muted anticipation for the sequel. Delighted most of the cast are back (especially Goldblum!).

I'm looking forward to this too but I also live in fear it will be a pure CGI fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm looking forward to this too but I also live in fear it will be a pure CGI fest.

Yeah this is certainly a possibility, and they won't beat the original, but it should be entertaining at least. The only thing I don't like is that neither devlin or emmerich wrote the script :/

A friend of mine in the US told me that they're going to shoot part of the movie at the pharmacy where he works next week. Interesting, the people you hang out with.

independenceday2posterlores.jpg

Wait why are people calling ID4? Surely that makes this ID4-2?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Wait why are people calling ID4? Surely that makes this ID4-2?

And ID4-2 = ID2 :P

And ID4-2 = ID2 :P

It's official. Half-Life 3 confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The first one was heavy on the CGI for all the air battles and dogfights. All the F-18 models were way off the real thing. The cockpits were very well done at the time though. CGI Harpoon missiles acting as AMRAAMs because they look more impressive ect.

The building models blowing up were not CGI and very well done, they won't look as good if they go CGI on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, Independence Day was always the first movie I remember as a CGI fest. You wanted to go see it just to see the CGI.

Funny how things have changed... I think there's a very real thing happening now that people want to go see movies that DON'T have cgi in them, or atleast where it's not the main character.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah, Independence Day was always the first movie I remember as a CGI fest. You wanted to go see it just to see the CGI.

Funny how things have changed... I think there's a very real thing happening now that people want to go see movies that DON'T have cgi in them, or atleast where it's not the main character.

Independence Day may be a lot of things but a CGI fest it is not. Most of the FX work was done practically without CGI which is why scenes such as the fire sweeping through the city and the White House explosion still stand up today. Compare it to some of Emmerich's later work and you'll find that Independence Day looks a lot better than 2012 and the llke

Advertisement