Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Haha. this sounds brilliantly awful. whats the bets the patriotism is ramped up to 11 and some sort of link made between aliens and "terrorists"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Seventeen years since the last Independence Day movie :eek: Man that makes me feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The Aliens come back and obliterate everyone this time......Heres hoping anyway ..and no will smyth to save them this time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I can't help that they're gonna set up for a disappointment, this time around. What made ID4 so great was its heavy reliance on practical effects (which is why the spaceships, especially when they're about to fire their weapons, still look so good after all these years), and with all the advances in computer graphics and the convenience of it, don't expect them to continue that for the sequel. That being said, the original movie is something that I can just watch over and over again because of how fun it is. At least it's not like Transformers where the non stop action gets all exhausting after a while. ID4 at least has the effort to pace its action properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,957 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Make ID2?

If only they could unmake ID1 !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Wow they're running out of ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Wow they're running out of ideas

I think this is a case of Roland Emmerich rehashing his own ideas after covering most disaster scenarios. Expect 'The Day After the Day After Tomorrow' in a few years....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I can't help that they're gonna set up for a disappointment, this time around. What made ID4 so great was its heavy reliance on practical effects (which is why the spaceships, especially when they're about to fire their weapons, still look so good after all these years), and with all the advances in computer graphics and the convenience of it, don't expect them to continue that for the sequel. That being said, the original movie is something that I can just watch over and over again because of how fun it is. At least it's not like Transformers where the non stop action gets all exhausting after a while. ID4 at least has the effort to pace its action properly.

Id4?

No Will smith ?? I dont know how they are going to make this good. I Loved the idea of the dog fights between Earth and the aliens. It made me feel earth was always up against it.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I think this is a case of Roland Emmerich rehashing his own ideas after covering most disaster scenarios. Expect 'The Day After the Day After Tomorrow' in a few years....

To be fair he has been talking about it for close to 20 years at this stage. I just wish that him and Devlin would kiss and make up so that they could finially make that Stargate sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair he has been talking about it for close to 20 years at this stage. I just wish that him and Devlin would kiss and make up so that they could finially make that Stargate sequel.

Hmmm, considering the film already spawned a pretty successful / popular sequence of TV spin-offs - a few TV movies too - is a direct sequel to the original film needed? Heck, would Emmerich even be allowed get his hands on the franchise; I presume the Sci-Fi channel are the ones holding the rights atm, and Emmerich's style seems at odds with what I understand the Stargate mythology morphed into.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They should do it as spoof. The aliens return to Earth to get revenge on McAfee for the terrible Anti-virus software they sold them. Give John McAfee a leading role. Then Jeff Goldblum, using one of the new MacBook Pros, uploads another virus, destroying whatever is left of their civilisation. Oh and Will Smith and Will Smith Jr. show up and stuff explodes for the last 40 minutes.

• If Smith hadn't been in the original Independence Day, then would it have been as good? I haven't seen it in years, but the only bits I can remember involve him and also Bill Pulman's speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Will Smith & son crashland on the alien's homeworld, Will breaks both his legs, and his son has to go get the beacon from the tail of the spacecraft, whilst avoiding aliens that have evolved to kill humans. Big twist at the end: "It was Earth all along :eek:"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the earth is now full of mutants from all the radioactive alien ships crashing into our atmosphere at the end of the first movie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Id4?

ID4 was the shorthand for Independence Day.

MV5BMTMwODY3NzQzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUxNjc0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

If Smith hadn't been in the original Independence Day, then would it have been as good? I haven't seen it in years, but the only bits I can remember involve him and also Bill Pulman's speech.

I love that speech :D

Not sure if I'll go see the sequel though. I'm just a bit iffy about it.

• I love that speech :D

Not sure if I'll go see the sequel though. I'm just a bit iffy about it.

A good few years ago with a lot of difficulty using Sound Recorder, my brothers and I did a very funny version where we spliced random Pinky and the Brain noises within the speech, so it'd sound something like -
    Good morning. Good morning. Point In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, narf and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. fjord Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today fjord point narf

It came out pretty funny.

Hahaha that would be hilarious! :)

• Was the only video I could find of the speech - apologies for the terrible quality ... and generally because I have nothing better to do today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,848 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bill Pullman and Jeff Goldblum are returning, Will Smith wants to much cash apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I am ridiculously excited about this. Shame there's no Will Smith. Don't care in the slightest about Bill Pullman. We got Jeff Goldblum and that's all that matters. I mostly hope we get Robert Loggia back.

Zillah wrote: »
    I am ridiculously excited about this. Shame there's no Will Smith. Don't care in the slightest about Bill Pullman. We got Jeff Goldblum and that's all that matters. I mostly hope we get Robert Loggia back.

And Judd Hirsch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ha, I was thinking that too!

"You punched the President?!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Adam Baldwin needs to be back

Might as well get Randy Quaid back as an alien :P

No Will Smith? Awh. Pity.

I loved Randy Quaid's character :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So long as Goldblum is in, I'll be happy because after such a long time you can't expect all the originals to be on board. Tbh I had given up on this becoming a reality. When the Day After Tomorrow came out there was hype about a possible ID4-2, but the door was shut on the idea.
    What made ID4 so great was its heavy reliance on practical effects (which is why the spaceships, especially when they're about to fire their weapons, still look so good after all these years), and with all the advances in computer graphics and the convenience of it, don't expect them to continue that for the sequel. That being said, the original movie is something that I can just watch over and over again because of how fun it is. At least it's not like Transformers where the non stop action gets all exhausting after a while. ID4 at least has the effort to pace its action properly.

Looking back at movies of that era, it was a great time for special effects. JP in 1995, ID4 in 1996, JP2 in 1997, Armageddon in 1998, and then boom, CGI took over with the likes of Star Wars Episode 1. Could we hope for a ID4++ to not be CGI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Elessar

ID4 was like, the movie of my childhood. Amazing when it came out and I remember the hype around it. It was everything a young boy could want in a movie! Can't believe it's been 17 years...Personally, I'll want to see this. But it won't touch the original from what I'm reading about the plot.

Honest Trailers did their work on ID4 only a few days ago :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I liked Stargate but never realised he directed, as a direct result he has risen in my estimates. :D

Advertisement