Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed that Iron Man will be so involved in the creation of Ultron. Between 3 films and Avengers I think there's been a bit of Iron Man overkill, as good as Downey is, the 3rd film for me was the character grating a fair bit by now. I'm also a bit worried how they will explain his creation because originally he gradually developed intelligence, so it'll be interesting how they put that in just 1 film.

To be honest, out of all Marvel's films coming up, I'm more excited by Guardians of The Galaxy. Fresh set of characters and from what was shown it seems an interesting humour involved as well.

But it isn't happening over the course of one movie, In Iroman 3 Jarvis began to think for itself and then it malfunctioned and shut itself down, this and they have said the Winter soldier will be the main lead in movie to AVengers 2 so im betting **** will start to go down Ultron wise in that movie towards the end

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

But it isn't happening over the course of one movie, In Iroman 3 Jarvis began to think for itself and then it malfunctioned and shut itself down, this and they have said the Winter soldier will be the main lead in movie to AVengers 2 so im betting **** will start to go down Ultron wise in that movie towards the end

I hope Winter Soldier has something about Ultron because the Iron Man 3 stuff was minimal and nowhere big enough to explain even half of a huge Avengers villain.

Also theres talk about Vin Diesel having a romantic turn in a Marvel film, some are speculating it could be Thanos and Death. Diesel as Thanos would be absolutley awful, hope Marvel have more sense than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Galvasean wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered that I thought Captain america was too goofy and old fashioned to make a good film, Thor was too out there to work and the Avengers would be a clusterf#ck of too many cooks proportions.
    So far Marvel have been proving me wrong at every turn, but it's gotta end somewhere right?

Same, I thought Thor would be utter cack and it turned out to be my favourite of the Phase 1 movies (excluding Iron Man 1 but that's not part of it really) and Captain America was way more fun than I anticipated, if they'd brought him into modern day early in the movie it wouldnt have worked half as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

If it turns out to be an evil Jarvis....then Paul Bettany's voice would make for a very creepy Ultron

Yeah he would i can picture him being fantastic if they gave him Ultron...Like can you picture him playing a real condecending Jarvis (Ultron) Sir I am only doing what is good for the human race , It is Logic !etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

krudler wrote: »
    Same, I thought Thor would be utter cack and it turned out to be my favourite of the Phase 1 movies (excluding Iron Man 1 but that's not part of it really) and Captain America was way more fun than I anticipated, if they'd brought him into modern day early in the movie it wouldnt have worked half as well.

How is IM not part of Phase One? It was the first of the films and introduced (via the post-credits scene) the whole idea of The Avengers.

Not part of phase 1................It started phase 1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm a big fan of the all the movies but am I the only one who finds talk of "phase 1" and such, utterly cringeworthy?

I mean, we are all nerds here but it just sounds so ridiculous. They are movies....not military operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well, they are phrases coined by Marvel themselves. It doesn't bother me anyway, and if anything I can actually respect just how organised Marvel are. They know what they want and how they are going to do it.....the opposite of WB/DC basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Sorry if this is a real silly question, Idon't follow the comics but is the new spiderman in anyway going to be integrated into the movies. . . It isn't as unbelievable as current batman and superman aligning in their dc universe at all and I'd believe he would be a good fit with the way marvel is set up? Or am I being crazy?

• Advertisement

Well, they are phrases coined by Marvel themselves. It doesn't bother me anyway, and if anything I can actually respect just how organised Marvel are. They know what they want and how they are going to do it.....the opposite of WB/DC basically.

DC seem to be more focused on their animated films than the live action ones and tbh far as I'm concerned the quality of the DC animated films is far superior to Marvel's live action out put.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sirsok wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a real silly question, Idon't follow the comics but is the new spiderman in anyway going to be integrated into the movies. . . It isn't as unbelievable as batman and superman at all and I'd believe he would be a good fit? Or am I being crazy?

No, for the simple reason Marvel don't own the cinematic rights to him. He teams up with The Avengers a lot in the comics.

This is also the reason the X-Men films don't tie in with Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Ahhh I see, I knew he was tied in with the avengers somehow, but that makes unfortunate sense.... Chances of a crossovers are absolutely dead and void so?

Get free time in work and check up on some superhero stuff... An amalgam universe? That would be awesome

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ahhh I see, I knew he was tied in with the avengers somehow, but that makes unfortunate sense.... Chances of a crossovers are absolutely dead and void so?

Get free time in work and check up on some superhero stuff... An amalgam universe? That would be awesome

There have been rumours flying around that Sony would do a deal to allow Marvel to use Spiderman (as recently as Comic-Con last week) but I'd say it's more wishful thinking than anything. It just wouldn't make sense for either studio to share their most profitable franchises with the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very little chance; the only reason the new Spiderman movies even exist is because the rights were about to lapse & revert back to Marvel, so Sony fasttracked a new movie into production, thus retaining the rights. They seem to have no interest in a crossover or lending back a property they were keen to keep hold of.

DC seem to be more focused on their animated films than the live action ones and tbh far as I'm concerned the quality of the DC animated films is far superior to Marvel's live action out put.

Perhaps, but at the end of the day Marvel are starting to make some serious bank between TA and IM3. I'll be very interested to see if Cap 2 and Thor 2 can get the same rub.

Perhaps, but at the end of the day Marvel are starting to make some serious bank between TA and IM3. I'll be very interested to see if Cap 2 and Thor 2 can get the same rub.

For now but the average cinema goer is quickly going to tire of Superheros unless something really interesting comes along. There's only so many origin tales that you can sit through and the way in which studios are rebooting franchises only a few years after the last film and in essence making the same film again is going to hurt the box office of a lot of Superhero films. It's a shame that the studios are only adapting the main stream, generic characters as there is a wealth of great comic book ideas out there. I'd much prefer a Peter Panzerfaust, or Fatale, Dial H, Sixth Gun, Bedlam, etc, etc adaptations than I would another Avenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I doubt they'll be quite as successful as TA or IM3 but they should easily blast the first parts of their own character movies away at the box office.
    For now but the average cinema goer is quickly going to tire of Superheros unless something really interesting comes along. There's only so many origin tales that you can sit through and the way in which studios are rebooting franchises only a few years after the last film and in essence making the same film again is going to hurt the box office of a lot of Superhero films. It's a shame that the studios are only adapting the main stream, generic characters as there is a wealth of great comic book ideas out there. I'd much prefer a Peter Panzerfaust, or Fatale, Dial H, Sixth Gun, Bedlam, etc, etc adaptations than I would another Avenger.

In fairness, Marvel have Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man and Dr. Strange in the offing. None of those are mainstream at all and they're all pretty brave choices. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce Black Panther down the line too.

In fairness, Marvel have Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man and Dr. Strange in the offing. None of those are mainstream at all and they're all pretty brave choices. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce Black Panther down the line too.

Guardians of the Galaxy looks great but it's becoming clear that Marvel are going to tie it into the Avengers and as such I'm not quite as excited as I was. As for Ant-man and Dr. Strange, both are riskier choices but I don't see them being anything other than safe origin stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

• Advertisement

Interesting choice, he certainly has the unique voice for it. Smooth, yet sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Have him come through a stargate :P good casting

The Wrap reports that Kick-Ass star Aaron Taylor-Johnson has been confirmed to play Quicksilver. Quicksilver has super speed and is the twin brother of Scarlet Witch, who will be played by Elizabeth Olsen

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Wrap reports that Kick-Ass star Aaron Taylor-Johnson has been confirmed to play Quicksilver. Quicksilver has super speed and is the twin brother of Scarlet Witch, who will be played by Elizabeth Olsen

Marvel confirms Elizabeth Olsen (Martha Marcy May Marlene) and Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kick-Ass) will be playing super-powered twins Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in the upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not a fan of Taylor-Johnson, just find him unlikeable on screen.

Interesting view from Frank Miller too on the current run of superhero movies. I agree with a lot he said. The amount of films has saturated the genre and weakened the wonder of it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Corholio wrote: »
    Interesting view from Frank Miller too on the current run of superhero movies. I agree with a lot he said. The amount of films has saturated the genre and weakened the wonder of it IMO.

Which was why I think I enjoyed X Men First Class so much it offered something a little bit different. I do agree though they are running the risk of over saturating the market making people less interested. But it's Hollywood and right now comic book movies are a cash cow and Hollywood will milk it for all it can get.

I'd say personally I like most them and do enjoy them bar maybe the Spiderman films. Have yet to see Man of Steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Guardians of the Galaxy looks great but it's becoming clear that Marvel are going to tie it into the Avengers and as such I'm not quite as excited as I was. As for Ant-man and Dr. Strange, both are riskier choices but I don't see them being anything other than safe origin stories.

You are not excited for Thanos and Infinity Gauntlet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    You are not excited for Thanos and Infinity Gauntlet?

I can't speak for Mathias Big Plantation obviously, but as someone who's only casually acquainted with the comics all these are based on, the presence of the 'Infinity Gauntlet' has me baffled and apathetic (not to mention chortling quietly at such a silly name). I'm kinda disappointed the Guardians of the Galaxy film is also going to be tethered to the overall Marvel films, it seemed like an interesting idea that shouldn't need such strangulating continuity. It's only going to make these films even more interchangeable than they're already becoming...

pixelburp wrote: »
    I can't speak for Mathias Big Plantation obviously, but as someone who's only casually acquainted with the comics all these are based on, the presence of the 'Infinity Gauntlet' has me baffled and apathetic (not to mention chortling quietly at such a silly name). I'm kinda disappointed the Guardians of the Galaxy film is also going to be tethered to the overall Marvel films, it seemed like an interesting idea that shouldn't need such strangulating continuity. It's only going to make these films even more interchangeable than they're already becoming...

I dunno dude, it has a talking raccoon and an ent in it. As for interchangeability, I genuinely think Thor 2 is the only marvel film thus far that didnt have it's own distinct feel to it, and I don't think it's a coincidence that its the first one to have a no name director at the helm.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I dunno dude, it has a talking raccoon and an ent in it. As for interchangeability, I genuinely think Thor 2 is the only marvel film thus far that didnt have it's own distinct feel to it, and I don't think it's a coincidence that its the first one to have a no name director at the helm.

Don't get me wrong, GotG looks like the sort of farscape-esque fun that these films sorely need, but I had hoped it might be a standalone adventure; I'm just a little leery about Marvel insisting that all of their movies take place in the same universe. Honestly I never got the appeal with the comics' own incestuous overlap between their various brands, and with the films it already feels a bit creaky around the edges. As I mentioned in the Wolverine thread, I'm actually kinda glad Marvel don't have access to all their IPs; these worlds are getting awfully overcrowded.

Advertisement