Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Independent/Times Exam Diaries (Should be ashamed!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

lizt wrote: »
    Not your priority? But staying up til 2 am watching Sex and the City and getting up to surf the net for a pair of designer shoes are your priorites?
    Hmmmm

checkmate:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ciks

LPB wrote: »
    I have to say, I found all the people here ranting about me to be hilarious.

Just goes to show how different our sense of humour is to yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

Another thing... this LPB one said that she was tired of all these 'Poor stressed Leaving Cert students' Thats why she decided to make this 'joke'

But no one complained before. People doing the Leaving Cert are stressed. Its a fact [except for those doing it for the third time but theyre a special case it seems] A stressed student thinking s/he's going to fail the next exam, opens the newspaper and finds someone in the same boat, theyre happy. They see the bigger picture and that theyre not alone. They take comfort in this.

A stressed Leaving Cert student opens a paper and reads about some rich pompous mong getting all the points she wants cuz she has the advantage of doing the course 3 times in the most expensive school around. They get worse...

Yeah, good choice, Laura, i see what you were trying to do......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

MattD wrote: »
    Another thing... this LPB one said that she was tired of all these 'Poor stressed Leaving Cert students' Thats why she decided to make this 'joke'

But no one complained before. People doing the Leaving Cert are stressed. Its a fact [except for those doing it for the third time but theyre a special case it seems] A stressed student thinking s/he's going to fail the next exam, opens the newspaper and finds someone in the same boat, theyre happy. They see the bigger picture and that theyre not alone. They take comfort in this.

A stressed Leaving Cert student opens a paper and reads about some rich pompous mong getting all the points she wants cuz she has the advantage of doing the course 3 times in the most expensive school around. They get worse...

Yeah, good choice, Laura, i see what you were trying to do......

Wonderul......I hope her new column as college diarist is discontinued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

that's actually pretty insulting to the "poor stressed leaving certs" who took both their job as a columnist and as a leaving cert student seriously... she's kinda making a mockery of the good effort that they made, by frivolously bragging about how rich she is and how posh she is, and let's not forget how "smart" she is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

Personal attacks on people!!
    Thats pretty low if i do say so myself.
    If you are not a fan of the diary,then dont read it.
    its as simple as that. if it really bothers you that much ,get in touch with the people who make the decisions at the irish times. tell them that you dont believe they picked a student who represents the average student of this country.........or dont bother.that souded harsh.rant over.

the girl in the examiner,was pretty good actually.it was defo more balanced anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MatthewGrehan

Are you ppl actually thinking about what your writing? You're making horrible remarks about a girl who just doesn't write what you want to hear and insulting her and wishing ill on her, for what? Don't you think that it makes you a royal asshole, and confirms the notion that we, as a ppl, are getting markedly worse in our attitudes towards each other? Why can't you just say that you don't like the article or her writing an let that be enough instead of making some1 else feel **** no reason? All these posts serve to show is that there are some really awful ppl out there who cannot seem to grasp that insulting ppl and wishing them bad things, makes THEM the stuck up ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mac-1405

Are you ppl actually thinking about what your writing? You're making horrible remarks about a girl who just doesn't write what you want to hear and insulting her and wishing ill on her, for what? Don't you think that it makes you a royal asshole, and confirms the notion that we, as a ppl, are getting markedly worse in our attitudes towards each other? Why can't you just say that you don't like the article or her writing an let that be enough instead of making some1 else feel **** no reason? All these posts serve to show is that there are some really awful ppl out there who cannot seem to grasp that insulting ppl and wishing them bad things, makes THEM the stuck up ones.

Hows Chris gettin on he seemed disapointd bou hw biology went?
    They reali are giving Laura a hard tym bou dis article... Bet u cant guess hu it is.
    1st clue: Its not Seán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

+1

Hey sean! Suppose i'm not supposed to give away my real name in my username, but i realized while tryin to think up a cool username that my real name IS a cool username! (that or ladysman217) Chris seems to be doing well, just construction left. How bout you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Putting your self in the public view like that you are bound to get some bad comments.............especially if you do nothing but brag about things that aren't really worth bragging about. People are sure to point that out, and they have.

Hey sean! Suppose i'm not supposed to give away my real name in my username, but i realized while tryin to think up a cool username that my real name IS a cool username! (that or ladysman217) Chris seems to be doing well, just construction left. How bout you?
    I told you its not Seán it was in my clue. Its Chris' cooler friend Niall. But Il pretend you asked me that question knowing it was me. Its going alright i have physics monday which wont be nice and accounting tuesday which will be worse but its almost over. Id say you miss the good old days of studying for the leaving cert.

my real name IS a cool username! (that or ladysman217)
    is that the name that shiya le boeuf(spelled that wrong) uses as his e-bay name in transformers?

It doesn't take much common sense to realize that just because a 19yo girl writes a few articles in a paper, does NOT it is fair to launch personal insults like she is some sort or professional writer who gets this stuff all the time. Ppl actually said that they hope she doesn't get the points she needs next year. That is nothing short of disgraceful.

Sorry for the mixup man! Physics isn't really that hard a subject when u hav mcMoreland, do you? Don't have a breeze about accounting, but best of luck! Its 4 years since i sat d lc, and i don't envy you one bit. It is important to know though, that this is easily the hardest exam your likely to come across in life. If and when you get into college (presuming you picked a course you think you'll like) you get to play your strengths, no more irish/french/maths/(insert whichever subject you dislike) if you don't want it!

Yes that is Shya LaBeouf's username in transformers!

It doesn't take much common sense to realize that just because a 19yo girl writes a few articles in a paper, does NOT it is fair to launch personal insults like she is some sort or professional writer who gets this stuff all the time. Ppl actually said that they hope she doesn't get the points she needs next year. That is nothing short of disgraceful.

Heh, their hoping she doesn't get the points will have no impact on whether or not she gets them. Although it was a strong statement of ill will on their part. If someone has a few defective personality traits, which she has, then people are doing them a favour by pointing it out to them.

She may not get that kinda stuff all the time, but perhaps if she reads some of this she will realise the error of acting like that.

Anyway, I'm sure these people weren't being fully serious, this is an internet forum, and while it may have increased greatly in popularity these last few.........days, most people don't think she'll ever see any of whats written here. And she probably won't

Yeah well I cant wait to be finished. Physics wouldn't so bad if they weren't so specific about what they want you to say. If the experiments that are expected to come up are there Ill be grand but if there is one on light(there probably will be) and if the electricity one isn't on resistivity I'll be annoyed.

They started filming Transformers 2 last week and I'm already excited about it.

raah! wrote: »
    Heh, their hoping she doesn't get the points will have no impact on whether or not she gets them. Although it was a strong statement of ill will on their part. If someone has a few defective personality traits, which she has, then people are doing them a favour by pointing it out to them.

She may not get that kinda stuff all the time, but perhaps if she reads some of this she will realise the error of acting like that.

Anyway, I'm sure these people weren't being fully serious, this is an internet forum, and while it may have increased greatly in popularity these last few.........days, most people don't think she'll ever see any of whats written here. And she probably won't
    Well considering both her and her boyfriend have accounts on this forum and she has already commented on this thread I think she may have seen it. These people have no right to judge her and I think it shows dedication that she is willing to put in so much effort to get the course she wants.

Unless the spelling and grammar of a newspaper 'diaryist' deteriorated entirely over the course of her registering to boards, that's not her. And if it was her, she obviously knows that she was speaking inappropriatly, as is clear by the old "I was joking" routine.

How dare you speak about some1 like you know them, when all you actually know of them is a few articles in a paper, which were edited (like any article not written by a professional) to be what the paper wants it to be. The light in which you read the articles is that which the times wants portrayed. She was already on this thread as LPB, so she does know whats written here. Or is it ok to badmouth some1 as long as they can't hear?

• Advertisement

Nothing she said was inappropriate. It simply differed from your opinion, or world view.

How can you single her out, I mean I don't know where they found the guy who is writing for the Independant but he is an absolute moron who is always trying (and failing) to appear intelligent, that doesn't mean i hope that he doesn't succeed in the leaving cert for all I know he could be a nice guy. Its the same situation with Laura, I presume you don't know her and so you can't really make a character judgement can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

mac-1405 wrote: »
    How can you single her out, I mean I don't know where they found the guy who is writing for the Independant but he is an absolute moron who is always trying (and failing) to appear intelligent, that doesn't mean i hope that he doesn't succeed in the leaving cert for all I know he could be a nice guy. Its the same situation with Laura, I presume you don't know her and so you can't really make a character judgement can you?

She wasn't singled out. The guy from the Independent was praised for writing about the Leaving Cert, something that Laura seems to find difficult. Other blogs were mentioned and also praised for writing about, wait for it, the Leaving Cert.

hahahahahahahaha, how dare I?. I don't see where I was speaking "about some1 like you know them" , I was making general observations which are clear from first view of the person. What people are reacting to is the person portrayed by the articles, if the author is someone else , then that's another story. It is the upper class snobbery presented in those articles that has disgusted people so much.

That last paragraph, where it says "and she probably won't" was only put their to soften the whole thing. If you had read the rest you would see that my intended meaning was that it would be good for her to hear some of that. Now you obviously haven't even read the rest of the posts on here, so why don't you go do that before "judging" everyone.

What the hell? Of course you can make a character judgement..... based on what she's said!! You said the other guy was a moron for trying to seem intellegent, now this Laura person, instead of "trying to seem" intellegent, goes the next step and just drops what she thinks are impressive exam results all over the article. That's pathetic, and as I have said before, deserving of pity.

janeybabe wrote: »
    She wasn't singled out. The guy from the Independent was praised for writing about the Leaving Cert, something that Laura seems to find difficult. Other blogs were mentioned and also praised for writing about, wait for it, the Leaving Cert.
    Actually yes she was. The amount of references to her is greater then the amount of references to everyone else put together. She was asked to write HER views on the Leaving Cert and thats exactly what she did and at least she tried to keep her article interesting.

I, in fact, hav read every single post in this thread. I did so because when i found out that my girlfriend was being badmouthed i wanted to defend her. There really is no need to though i guess, as i know that she would never join a herd and express insults at an innocent individual en masse online, or through any medium, and is hence a person of better character than any1 who has been jumping on this ignorant, hate-bandwagon. I would ask that ppl please refrain from personal insults at some1 who really doesn't deserve them, just because they are different than you.

Well that's unstoppable logic, there's nothing anyone can say to that. We're all just poor ignorant slobs from public schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

...just because they are different than you.

Different *from* you. Seems that syntax isn't the strong point of you or your "girlfriend"... (And why don't I believe you?!)

• Advertisement

Hey man i don't know if thats sarcasm or not, but i was never trying to sound above any1. I went to a public school myself, and i'm going into work in tesco now at 2, so i am on no way trying to sound superior. I just think that ppl need to lay off laura just because they don't like where she goes to school or how she spends her time. Also a strong (and my final) point i'd like to make, is that laura wrote a lot for the times and the edited it as they pleased. She is mostly upset because she feels every1 hates her, when in fact every1 is discussing the person they wanted to portray. They felt there was sufficient demand and interest for it. Laura is an amazing person, has no real-life enemies, and is the love of my life. I have to go to work now, if any1 has any further problems, feel free to address them to me at the customer service desk in tesco maynooth, i'll be there till 11 tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement