Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mary Coughlan signals possible return

• 07-12-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

According to rte

"Former Tánaiste Mary Coughlan has refused to rule out a return to politics.Ms Coughlan said in an interview with RTÉ’s Raidió na Gaeltachta that she has not closed the door completely to a return, "

Does she really believe that she is electable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

corkonion wrote: »
    Does she really believe that she is electable?

What frightens me is that she probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

gizmo555 wrote: »
    What frightens me is that she probably is.

It's shocking. I read some of this tripe today in the FF Journal (Indo). An attempt by Coughlan (not as dumb as I thought afterall it seems) to rewrite history and and pretend she was just some just kind of neutral observer when her and her FF ilk sold the country down the swanny just 3 years ago.
    She was one of dunce Cowens most vervant cheerleaders and should not escape any well deserved culpability for the major part she did play in the disaster.
    I'd rate her as of the worst Ministers ever in Irish cabinet. Her crowning glory is surely her sell-out of our once proud sugar industry, providing 1000s of decent jobs which we could sorely do with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The sheer arrogance of people like her is absolutely mind-blowing.:mad:
    Its beggars belief that people like her and O'Donoghue in Kerry are contemplating a 'return' to the grave train.
    Actually Eamon Dunphy once equated the Donegal electorate to that in Kerry South(Healy-Rae) and Limerick West (Collins) in terms of Gombeen dynasties.
    And that was before our economy went belly-up.!!
    While on holiday in Bundoran, circa 2005, I recall protest billboards linking Coughlan with corruption in Fas. Back then I was oblivious to what was going on,as were most ordinary people.
    I now know exactly what these bill-boards messages were getting at.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

She was a dire Minister for Agriculture, only surpassed by Smith.

It appears the people most appalled at this suggestion are the current Fianna Fáil leadership.

Attempts by former senior Fianna Fáil office holders to return to elected office are expected to be firmly resisted by party headquarters.

“We need candidates without baggage,” said a party source yesterday. “Running people associated with the previous government could see public anger towards us reignited.”

Another source described running former office holders as an “appalling vista”, adding that it would provide the other parties with anti-Fianna Fáil material.

You'd have to laugh, though, at the inference by the unnamed party source that the likes of Micheál Martin or Willie O'Dea don't carry plenty of baggage of their own . . .

• Advertisement

She was a dire Minister for Agriculture, only surpassed by Smith.

Destroyed the REPS scheme by making it "one for everyone in the audience" plus the sugar industry closure. All i remember her for was swanning around the Ploughing in her flowery wellies like it was all a big joke.
    That's before you get to her support for Cowen. Autrocious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I wish she comes back, will cost FF about 5 seats in the GE if she starts showing her mug around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

With her pensions she's made for life. What the hell does she want to come back for? If she want's something to do I suggest she volunteer down at the local soup kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

touts wrote: »
    With her pensions she's made for life. What the hell does she want to come back for? If she want's something to do I suggest she volunteer down at the local soup kitchen.

Agree.

When she runs 50 next year she will get a pension of €140k per year. Does she need a TDs salary on top of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

She is most certainly making a comeback. And I was sickened to read the interview where she's looking for sympathy and playing Fianna Fail as the poor but well meaning fools who got done over by the bold bigger boys in the playground.
    If shes not willing to accept blame she could in the least not mention that period as it is preferable to bull****ting and would at least show some respect to the Irish public.
    She has no regard for Ireland. Its a game. She's Fianna Fail all right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

seablue wrote: »
    Agree.

When she runs 50 next year she will get a pension of €140k per year. Does she need a TDs salary on top of this?

she wouldn't but will certainly take it if she's let, the aul bint!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Unless things have changed up here where I am (I live 10 mins away from Coughlan's house just outside Donegal Town) then I have a horrible feeling she could very well make a comeback! Even with the ever rising support for Sinn Fein here, I still dread the kind of people who voted her in to government in the first place would have no bother doing so again.
    Sadly these are the kind of people who have voted FF their whole lives because their father/mother did before them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Yeah that's all we need, another dose of "Calamity" Coughlan!
    She and her like should be disbarred from holding public office in the same way that corrupt and inept directors can be disbarred!

Yeah that's all we need, another dose of "Calamity" Coughlan!
    She and her like should be disbarred from holding public office in the same way that corrupt and inept directors can be disbarred!

The likes of her should be facing legal sanction and/or public enquiry.
    I think sometimes the current govt are bad then I just have to remember when her and her ilk were in power what it was like, then i realise they are not so bad afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

Conbhar wrote: »
    Unless things have changed up here where I am (I live 10 mins away from Coughlan's house just outside Donegal Town) then I have a horrible feeling she could very well make a comeback! Even with the ever rising support for Sinn Fein here, I still dread the kind of people who voted her in to government in the first place would have no bother doing so again.
    Sadly these are the kind of people who have voted FF their whole lives because their father/mother did before them.

Are F.G not afflicted with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

she has suddenly started been photographed at local events after been invisible (although just to be fair her husband did die in sept 2012)

i would guess shes seeing what support is out there, i would despair if she was re-elected up here but i wouldnt be suprised - especially in a 5 seater

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sad fact on History is it repeats it's self time and time again, she would 100% be reelected in the current climate even Bertie would be reelected as that is the nature of Irish Politics, the "ah sure they can't do worse than the current clowns" brigade will see to that. Until we impose a ruling that if you or your party have been found to be corrupt or inept you can no longer run for election then we will get the same types of people running every election.

I honestly believe Fianna Fail should be investigated with the possibility of being made an illegal organisation. Its a Ponzi scheme not a party of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

It is true that Fianna Fail became toxic because of the arrogant behaviour of many of their T.D's, combined with their total failure to manage a vibrant economy during their watch. They allowed the public sector unions, through bench-marking, gain a foothold to drain the economy further (although, to be honest, they are being heavily hit in their wages with the Universal Social Charge. All the T.D's (of every party) voted in huge wages, pensions and expenses to their own benefit. Government advisers, bankers, Health Services Executives, Charity CEO's, ESB CEO's continue to receive payments above the official government guidelines.

The various Regulators were asleep on the job and allowed the so-called privileged sections of our society ride rough-shod and recklessly over the Irish economy which ended in tears, but only for the average man in the street.

It still continues with the Central Remedial Clinic debacle, where CEO's and Board members are on huge salaries, "top-ups" and pensions at the expense of the handicapped. To stop this, the CRC would be better off liquidated and re-open as a new organisation, as at present, fund-raising connected with the present set-up is toxic. Meanwhile, the genuine fundraiser and genuine causes are going to suffer greatly because of the activities of a few.

The cost of medicines is provocative to the average person (and especially if not on a medical card)- this is still not reformed.
    Utility costs and the Vat rate of 23% is too high. Bring down these costs and it will help the Irish economy to recover.

The Public Accounts Chairman John McGuinness is doing a thorough job in bringing the activities of the CEO and Board members of the CRC to public knowledge. He is not afraid to stand on a few toes (a rare quality in a politician) and if any man can bring these people to heel he has the *alls to do it. We may be talking about a future leader of Fianna Fail, and importantly, because he is not guilty by association with the Fianna Fail old guard, would have some chance of resurrecting the party fortunes again.

John McGuinness . . . importantly, because he is not guilty by association with the old Fianna Fail guard, would have some chance of resurrecting the party fortunes again.

Are you kidding me? He was a Fianna Fáil TD right through the Ahern era and voted in favour of the policies that got us into the mess we're in as dutifully as any other government TD. He's as guilty as sin . . .

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? He was a Fianna Fáil TD right through the Ahern era and voted in favour of the policies that got us into the mess we're in as dutifully as any other government TD. He's as guilty as sin . . .

I'm referring to him as a potential leader of Fianna Fail. Naturally, he would have to be a member of Fianna Fail to run as a leader of Fianna Fail. I agree the "whip system" is unfair and forces members to toe the line. I do not know if he voted in favour of any particular policy as I was not there. You have got to admit that every party have good decent members, and just to show that I do not support any particular party, Richard Bruton has always impressed me as a genuine person, likewise, Brian Lenihan R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭golfball37

John McGuinness is mentioned in the Mahon report in relation to a land deal in North County Dublin and representations he made to then Minister Cowan on behalf of his brother who wished to develop land.

Lo and behold this land was re-zoned later.

He is as dirty as the rest of them. Although he is very good to his wife in all fairness.

golfball37 wrote: »
    John McGuinness is mentioned in the Mahon report in relation to a land deal in North County Dublin and representations he made to then Minister Cowan on behalf of his brother who wished to develop land.

Lo and behold this land was re-zoned later.

He is as dirty as the rest of them. Although he is very good to his wife in all fairness.

"In fairness" we would all like to use our influence to help our brother and be good to our wife, but this did not benefit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭golfball37

"In fairness" we would all like to use our influence to help our brother and be good to our wife, but this did not benefit him.

His brother left a good few people in hoc because of his actions surrounding this deal including a company that had to let staff go but still John did nothing wrong I suppose?

I didn't say it benefitted him but interfering in the planning process benefitted someone close to him to the detriment of others.

He is as bad as any FFer. Or as good whatever way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

To me it looks like they are testing the water to see what the reaction is, but I'm sure there are many people in my county, I'm not one of them thankfully, who have very short memories and will do everything they can to first get her back into the party, regardless of what Mickey Martin and the rest of them are saying now, and then get her re-elected.

Worse than that is the thought of who else is Fianna Failure planning on 'digging up'? Bertie 'salt o de ert' Ahern,? Brian Cowan, or nightmare to end all nightmares,.... Mary Harney, oh dear god.

golfball37 wrote: »
    His brother left a good few people in hoc because of his actions surrounding this deal including a company that had to let staff go but still John did nothing wrong I suppose?

I didn't say it benefitted him but interfering in the planning process benefitted someone close to him to the detriment of others.

He is as bad as any FFer. Or as good whatever way you look at it.

Your article infers that nobody benefited!

It is true that Fianna Fail became toxic because of the arrogant behaviour of many of their T.D's, combined with their total failure to manage a vibrant economy during their watch. They allowed the public sector unions, through bench-marking, gain a foothold to drain the economy further (although, to be honest, they are being heavily hit in their wages with the Universal Social Charge. All the T.D's (of every party) voted in huge wages, pensions and expenses to their own benefit. Government advisers, bankers, Health Services Executives, Charity CEO's, ESB CEO's continue to receive payments above the official government guidelines.

The various Regulators were asleep on the job and allowed the so-called privileged sections of our society ride rough-shod and recklessly over the Irish economy which ended in tears, but only for the average man in the street.

It still continues with the Central Remedial Clinic debacle, where CEO's and Board members are on huge salaries, "top-ups" and pensions at the expense of the handicapped. To stop this, the CRC would be better off liquidated and re-open as a new organisation, as at present, fund-raising connected with the present set-up is toxic. Meanwhile, the genuine fundraiser and genuine causes are going to suffer greatly because of the activities of a few.

The cost of medicines is provocative to the average person (and especially if not on a medical card)- this is still not reformed.
    Utility costs and the Vat rate of 23% is too high. Bring down these costs and it will help the Irish economy to recover.

The Public Accounts Chairman John McGuinness is doing a thorough job in bringing the activities of the CEO and Board members of the CRC to public knowledge. He is not afraid to stand on a few toes (a rare quality in a politician) and if any man can bring these people to heel he has the *alls to do it. We may be talking about a future leader of Fianna Fail, and importantly, because he is not guilty by association with the Fianna Fail old guard, would have some chance of resurrecting the party fortunes again.

I'm sick to death of Fianna Fail apologists spouting things like 'old guard' after every Fianna Fail act of hate, (intentional or otherwise) towards the Irish public. As if its a one off. Its constant, its generational. You elude to the resurrecting of the party fortunes being a good thing. For who? At best the party and certainly not the Irish people. The unions securing a pay deal pales in comparison to the other factors leading to the collapse, but deflecting blame is one of the few things Fianna Fail have by way of an actual manifesto.

I'm referring to him as a potential leader of Fianna Fail. Naturally, he would have to be a member of Fianna Fail to run as a leader of Fianna Fail. I agree the "whip system" is unfair and forces members to toe the line. I do not know if he voted in favour of any particular policy as I was not there. You have got to admit that every party have good decent members, and just to show that I do not support any particular party, Richard Bruton has always impressed me as a genuine person, likewise, Brian Lenihan R.I.P.

Fianna Fail does not nurture 'good decent members', well I've never seen one, but I'm sure the odd member may be genuine, unfortunately they never get to become policy makers. DeValera himself was a fraudster who conned people using patriotism to feather his nest, so I mean the barrel was rotten so what hope the apples? Lenihan was either corrupt, incompetent or both. We may never find out the full details.

For Reals wrote: »
    I'm sick to death of Fianna Fail apologists spouting things like 'old guard' after every Fianna Fail act of hate, (intentional or otherwise) towards the Irish public. As if its a one off. Its constant, its generational. You elude to the resurrecting of the party fortunes being a good thing. For who? At best the party and certainly not the Irish people. The unions securing a pay deal pales in comparison to the other factors leading to the collapse, but deflecting blame is one of the few things Fianna Fail have by way of an actual manifesto.

Wrong. I have not voted Fianna Fail for about 20 years, and I suppose they were up to something then, I can't remember what it was. That meant I was about 17 years ahead of everyone else in my thinking, as it is only recently that people are beginning to wake up to the Irish party politics system which is used by all the parties. I am only giving a view on who would be a candidate for the Fianna Fail leadership role, and some are getting excited and ranting away, jumping to assumptions without any evidence to guide them as to whom I support politically. And I still think that John McGuinness is doing a great job as PAC Chairman, and I would think more people are becoming aware of that fact.

• Advertisement

Wrong. I have not voted Fianna Fail for about 20 years, and I suppose they were up to something then, I can't remember what it was. That meant I was about 17 years ahead of everyone else in my thinking, as it is only recently that people are beginning to wake up to the Irish party politics system which is used by all the parties. I am only giving a view on who would be a candidate for the Fianna Fail leadership role, and some are getting excited and ranting away, jumping to assumptions without any evidence to guide them as to whom I support politically. And I still think that John McGuinness is doing a great job as PAC Chairman, and I would think more people are becoming aware of that fact.

Forgiveness...
    It is true that Fianna Fail became toxic because of the arrogant behaviour of many of their T.D's, combined with their total failure to manage a vibrant economy during their watch.
    So far we agree...
    They allowed the public sector unions, through bench-marking, gain a foothold to drain the economy.
    So this is the first example comes to mind?
    To me, my reading of this, you seem to be saying that their is hope. This chap might be the hero in high pants Fianna Fail need to reclaim former glory. The 'Old Guard' lends itself to the Fianna Fail mantra of 'that was then, this is now' and we should all quit living in the past and contemporise (man). All this from a non-supporter? If not why does the idea of a newly invigorated Fianna Fail seem to appeal to you?

I never said you voted Fianna Fail, but to be fair I did assume so. But there were some who had Fianna Fails number a lot longer than seventeen years ago. Sadly we've seen all this before, back in the eighties, but I guess 'that was then, this is now'......

Advertisement