Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who here is learning Irish (putting good effort in)

• 09-03-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Just as a matter of curiosity I'm wondering how many here are actually putting real time and hours into learning Irish and bringing their standard up?

I think in the next ten years we will continually see more and more fluent speakers from outside the Gaeltacht as a result of the Gaelscoil movement but also other massive efforts by individuals, organisations, institutions, etc.

Also, with Bernard Dunne's Bród Club trying to reach people who might have left Irish behind and who may like to think about taking it up again, has this or anything else inspired anyone here to actually start learning properly? As in buy a good course book, follow it, pursue more educational material, etc.

The reason I ask is that I don't seem to see anyone asking many questions here, or on daltai, bar the odd request, and it seems odd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Well I'm trying to read the older literature now, stuff from around the start of the century and the end of the 19th century. Usually put in about an hour a day learning and reading. Older Irish is a bit more grammatically complex and richer in vocabulary, at least I find, so I've a lot of vocab to learn that I didn't pick up from modern books. My big goals are:

(a) Go around Corca Dhuibhne and be able to chat comfortably. I'll be going this summer and I'd love to be able to really talk to the owner of the B&B without stuttering. So I'm working toward that.

(ii) To be able to read Céitinn easily. Finish Foras Feasa for example, so Peadar Ua Laoghaire and such writers are my training to reach this.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been taking the time to try and learn 30 new words a day for the past few months. I'm hoping this will help my reading comprehension although I haven't noticed any major improvement as yet. I'll keep at it though.

I've bought the O'Siadhail book 'Learning Irish' which has helped me understand many of the grammatical aspects. I've made notes from this book and another text book I have so I'm more clued in than I was at school but I still have much to learn.

I've also been listening to Irish news programmes and watching shows like Ros na Run. I'm able to recognise certain basic phrases from these but that's about it.

I think learning it alone is tough going. I suspect my progress would improve dramatically if I went to a class, or a conversation group, or better yet went to a Gaeltacht area for a week or two. I've been looking into it and hope to try one when I get some time.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I've been taking the time to try and learn 30 new words a day for the past few months. I'm hoping this will help my reading comprehension although I haven't noticed any major improvement as yet. I'll keep at it though.

I've bought the O'Siadhail book 'Learning Irish' which has helped me understand many of the grammatical aspects. I've made notes from this book and another text book I have so I'm more clued in than I was at school but I still have much to learn.
    Excellent choice, but you need to put the effort in and do all the exercises.

There are more exercises available here:
    http://www.phouka.com/stenson/intro.htm
    They're good for practice, if you're not happy you've mastered a topic.
    I've also been listening to Irish news programmes and watching shows like Ros na Run. I'm able to recognise certain basic phrases from these but that's about it.

I think learning it alone is tough going. I suspect my progress would improve dramatically if I went to a class, or a conversation group, or better yet went to a Gaeltacht area for a week or two. I've been looking into it and hope to try one when I get some time.
    Keep it up, and do try to meet people for conversation - why don't you drop into Club an Chonradh, 6 Harcourt St (basement) of an evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CareyParks

A chairde,

I'm working on Gaeilge, way over here in Florida. It's really hard to find any speakers here, so I'm on the web, for learning and for speaking.

I am just starting, wanting to be able to get by for travel and seisiún purposes when I visit Ireland in the future. It seems if I'm playing the music, I would benefit from knowing (some of?) the language. There are lots of songs I can't understand that I would like to eventually be able to follow.

I did find a ''Study Buddy'' on the web (in Mexico) who is also a beginner, so we can at least practice with a real human via video chat, which is better than just saying words to the computer. Makes the mind work differently when trying to have a real interaction vs. spit back sounds.

Slan,

Carey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

deirdremf wrote: »
    Excellent choice, but you need to put the effort in and do all the exercises.

There are more exercises available here:
    http://www.phouka.com/stenson/intro.htm
    They're good for practice, if you're not happy you've mastered a topic.

Keep it up, and do try to meet people for conversation - why don't you drop into Club an Chonradh, 6 Harcourt St (basement) of an evening.

Deirdre, I don't want this thread to go off topic. I started this topic and thread to see if there are people putting genuine effort in. I'm presuming if people want help they will ask in other threads. Or just PM them if you think you can help them based on something they have said. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Canis_Lupus

I've been dipping in and out of Buntús Cainte for a little over a year now. I finished the first book and enjoyed it but my enthusiasm has stalled at the second book. I need to just start talking to people in the language and I'm hoping to do that once I move back to the country in a couple of weeks.

I like the idea of learning vocabulary each day and I may take up that as a new strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I am learning the language, but not in any kind of formal way, I'm involved with the Cumann Gaelach in Uni so I get to speak Irish fairly regularly, I read Gaelsceal every week and listen to RnaG/watch TG4 fairly often, my ability to speak Irish is fairly good, I would be fairly comfortable with most conversations, and I'm OK at reading, my ability to write is terrible through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

I am learning the language, but not in any kind of formal way, I'm involved with the Cumann Gaelach in Uni so I get to speak Irish fairly regularly, I read Gaelsceal every week and listen to RnaG/watch TG4 fairly often, my ability to speak Irish is fairly good, I would be fairly comfortable with most conversations, and I'm OK at reading, my ability to write is terrible through.

I recently finished Turas Teanga and I notice my level go up, according to ranganna.com when I began I was lower intermediate and now I am upper.

I have recently signed up to the ranganna.com course for €45 for 3 months but my rate of learning has slowed from an hour a day to once every few days, I must get back on it.

My spoken wouldnt be great considering I have spent my time in books. When I watch TV i only understand phrases here and there but I found when I put the subtitles on Ros na Rún on in Irish I can understand a load more Irish, which helps me a lot because when I left the subtitles in English I found myself relying on them rather than trying to understand the Irish.

I actuallu stopped learning Irish after Turas Teanga but after seeing Bród Club last week its inspired me And given me the passion to get learning again and I will be doing at least a half hour a day on the ranganna course and of course watchjng tg4 & listening to the radio.

My fiancé's family are actually from near Dingle and shes an aunt living in the Gaeltacht so we are going to visit soon and then we will see how my irish really is!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

Hi guys,
    I'm based near Clonmel in Co Tipperary - and I would love to join an irish speaking group, I passed my Irish Intermediate many years back and I would love to start speaking Irish again in fact this time I would give it 150% and learn it properly. I am hoping some one will read this and get back to me with some information on a local group or if classes are about to start some where in or near Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

nowayjosie wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm based near Clonmel in Co Tipperary - and I would love to join an irish speaking group, I passed my Irish Intermediate many years back and I would love to start speaking Irish again in fact this time I would give it 150% and learn it properly. I am hoping some one will read this and get back to me with some information on a local group or if classes are about to start some where in or near Clonmel

same wud luv that. in dublin though.

• Advertisement

multimate wrote: »
    same wud luv that. in dublin though.

There is loads going on in Dublin through Irish, how about GAA through Irish?
    Na Gaeil Oga

You can listen to RnaL, go drinking in Club Conradh or just get involved with one of the Ciorcal Comhras:

Am: Gach maidin Luain ag 9.00 - 10.15rn
    Áit: Gaelscoil Inse Chór, An Cuarbhóthar Theas, Droichead na hInse, Baile Átha Cliath 8.
    Teagmháil: Gearóidín Ní Eochagáin +353 (0)87 6998057

Am: Gach Máirt ag 1.00 - 1.45in
    Áit: An Seomra Foirne (2-049), Sráid Áinséir, Institiúid Teicneolaíochta Bhaile Átha Cliath, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: elena.keany@dit.ie / ptbrowne@dit.ie

Am: Oíche Mháirt amháin in aghaidh na míosa, 14 Feabhra 2012, ag 8.00in
    Áit: Clasach, Bóthar Alfie Byrne, Cluain Tarbh, Baile Átha Cliath 3.
    Teagmháil: Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann +353 (0)1 8363060

Am: Gach oíche Mháirt ag 8.30in
    Áit: Áras Chonradh na Gaeilge, Corrán Grattan, Inse Chór, Baile Átha Cliath 8.
    Teagmháil: Craobh Inse Chór +353 (0)1 4535814

Am: Gach Céadaoin ag 10.00 - 11.30rn
    Áit: An Bhutrach (bialann an Champais, The Buttery), Coláiste na Tríonóide, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: Aonghus Dwane, Oifigeach Gaeilge gaeloifig@tcd.ie / www.tcd.ie/gaeloifig

Am: Gach Céadaoin ag 11.00rn
    Ionad: O'Briens Bagel Factory, 10 Sráid Fhearchair, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: Síne Nic an Ailí +353 (0)1 4757401 / sine@cnag.ie

Am: Gach oíche Chéadaoin ag 9.00in
    Áit: C.L.G. Fine Ghallainn, Bóthar an Inbhir, Sord, Co. Átha Cliath.
    Teagmháil: Liam Ó Culbáird +353 (0)86 3814422

Am: Gach Déardaoin ag 11.00rn
    Áit: Bialann an champais, Sráid Bolton, Institiúid Teicneolaíochta Bhaile Átha Cliath, Baile Átha Cliath 1.
    Teagmháil: domhnall.sheridan@dit.ie

Am: Gach Aoine ag 1.00 - 2.00in
    Áit: Ionad Buail Isteach, Siopa Connolly Books, 43 Sráid Essex Thoir, Barra Temple, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: Criostóir Ó Broin ionadbuailisteach@gmail.com / +353 (0)87 6662903

Am: An chéad Aoine den mhí ag 1.00in
    Áit: Camden Court Hotel, Sráid Camden, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: Siobhán Nic Gaoithín gaeilge@dit.ie

Am: Gach Satharn ag 2.00 - 4.00in
    Áit: An Caifé Gaelach agus Ionad Deonach, 107 Sráid Amiens, Baile Átha Cliath 1.
    Teagmháil: Máire Ní Bheaglaoich ionadbuailisteach@gmail.com / +353 (0)87 6662903

Na Gaeil Oga

You can listen to RnaL, go drinking in Club Conradh or just get involved with one of the Ciorcal Comhras:

Áit: Gaelscoil Inse Chór, An Cuarbhóthar Theas, Droichead na hInse, Baile Átha Cliath 8.

Áit: An Seomra Foirne (2-049), Sráid Áinséir, Institiúid Teicneolaíochta Bhaile Átha Cliath, Baile Átha Cliath 2.

Áit: An Bhutrach (bialann an Champais, The Buttery), Coláiste na Tríonóide, Baile Átha Cliath 2.
    Teagmháil: Aonghus Dwane, Oifigeach Gaeilge gaeloifig@tcd.ie / www.tcd.ie/gaeloifig

Áit: Bialann an champais, Sráid Bolton, Institiúid Teicneolaíochta Bhaile Átha Cliath, Baile Átha Cliath 1.

Áit: Ionad Buail Isteach, Siopa Connolly Books, 43 Sráid Essex Thoir, Barra Temple, Baile Átha Cliath 2.

Áit: An Caifé Gaelach agus Ionad Deonach, 107 Sráid Amiens, Baile Átha Cliath 1.
    Teagmháil: Máire Ní Bheaglaoich ionadbuailisteach@gmail.com / +353 (0)87 6662903

guys is there nothing for me to join in Clonmel - I really want to learn to speak read and write my Irish Language - there has to be someone in the know to give me a bit of guidance - Is there any fluent Irish speakers out there who would like to start a group up maybe - I'd be happy to help??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

Na Gaeil Oga

guys is there nothing for me to join in Clonmel - I really want to learn to speak read and write my Irish Language - there has to be someone in the know to give me a bit of guidance - Is there any fluent Irish speakers out there who would like to start a group up maybe - I'd be happy to help??????

I asked one Of my twitter friends in clonmel about Gaeilge and Id asvise asking her @Ziggystarduster

Hi there Muineachan,
    I sent you a private reply there - please check it out and get back to me asap - thanks a million
    :D

I know there was a Ciorcal Comhrá in Clonmel a few years ago in the Common Thread café on Parnell Street, don't know if its still there.

A bordsie called imbroglio put me on to it, maybe they can help you.

Other than that, you could get in touch with the Gaelcholaiste on the Mall, they should know whats going on ó taobh na Gaeilge locally.

I know there was a Ciorcal Comhrá in Clonmel a few years ago in the Common Thread café on Parnell Street, don't know if its still there.

A bordsie called imbroglio put me on to it, maybe they can help you.

Other than that, you could get in touch with the Gaelcholaiste on the Mall, they should know whats going on ó taobh na Gaeilge locally.

Brilliant I will follow up on both and see what the story is thanks a mill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 soballach

I'm lucky enough to be a native speaker, and absolutely love what Bernard Dunne's Bród Club has been doing to get those of us who aren't fluent to use what we have. I use the language daily. I think that digging out our Gaeilge archive is an important step in building a foundation on which to improve your teanga. I know as a native speaker I should probably cringe at the leath Béarla leath Gaeilge that Bernard uses, but I don't, I think he's hit the nail on the head. Have any of you signed-up to Bród Club on the RTÉ site? What are the language resources like there? Also, posted on the Facebook page is a link to the forums. Has anybody used these to improve their Gaeilge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm pretty much the same as Déise go Deo. I'm involved in a conversational group, and just picked up my ability to speak from that. I don't take any formal lessons, but I should really invest in a grammar book to understand the grammatical aspects of it soon. I can speak fairly comfortably in Irish, and think conversational groups or any other medium of immersion is the best way to get you speaking comfortably at a decent level than any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

I'm keen to learn Irish now as well..dunno if brod club has had a subconscious effect as I'm thinking about it more and more lately.

Been listening alot to R na life as well but mainly because the music is unreal!:D

So, if truth be told I dont want a formal approach, I want to try and improve my conversational Irish in an informal way..any begginers conversational groups out there?

Sorry, but the thoughts of learning the grammar etc is just such a turn off..reminds me too much of school..aim is to pick it up speaking if possible

Who remembers the "lion na bearnai" exercises? :(
    The way irish is taught :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Mise freisin.

• Advertisement

reganovich wrote: »

I do, got the t-shirt and everything

http://gaelshirt.spreadshirt.ie/lion-na-bearnai-A9423551/customize/color/2

I'm keen to learn Irish now as well..dunno if brod club has had a subconscious effect as I'm thinking about it more and more lately.

Been listening alot to R na life as well but mainly because the music is unreal!:D

So, if truth be told I dont want a formal approach, I want to try and improve my conversational Irish in an informal way..any begginers conversational groups out there?

Sorry, but the thoughts of learning the grammar etc is just such a turn off..reminds me too much of school..aim is to pick it up speaking if possible

I'm not being confrontational here but this thread was for people already well into learning Irish, not for those thinking about learning it again. There are loads of threads for beginners, that's why I set this one up for those who are already serious about it and who have already put some effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

pog it wrote: »
    I'm not being confrontational here but this thread was for people already well into learning Irish, not for those thinking about learning it again. There are loads of threads for beginners, that's why I set this one up for those who are already serious about it and who have already put some effort in.

Sorry man, just asking

Anyone have any grammar book reccomendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

dlofnep wrote: »
    Anyone have any grammar book reccomendations?
    Well Nollaig Mac Congáil has a pretty good book with it "all in one place" which is "Irish Grammar Book". You can get it in Irish or English.

I always recommend the following website:
    http://www.nualeargais.ie/gnag/gram.htm
    It's the most complete grammar there is practically.

I've also a file on the grammar of Munster Irish, which is very short. All the major rules over just about eight pages, taken from a book from the 70s (Copyright has been relinquished).

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Enkidu wrote: »
    I've also a file on the grammar of Munster Irish, which is very short. All the major rules over just about eight pages, taken from a book from the 70s (Copyright has been relinquished).

Would you be able to send it to me if I send you my email in a PM? I much prefer Munster Irish personally

I'm not putting a good effort in at the moment since I've exams coming up, and I study French so I don't want to muddle the two up but me and a friend have agreed to have weekly meet ups to improve our Irish and maybe get some others in on it too and when college starts I'm going to sign up to the free classes from the Irish Department

Personally I'd recommend the workbook 'Is Feidir Liom' and Marino have two very practical pdfs on the language to download here http://www.ilrweb.ie/ILR_ABHARFOGHLAMA.html

If you could send it onto me, I'd be greatful.

Another good grammar book is by Ciarán MacMurchaidh but it's all in Irish. Found it brilliant for learning about the genitive and prepositions. Nollaig MacCongail's book also does a good job of the prepositions and the direct and indirect clauses so shoot me now but I reckon you will need both at some stage!

Sorry man, just asking

I know and I'm sorry for being tetchy about it but I just wanted to be straight about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Just on a general note on Mc in English and Mac in Irish.
    In English Mc as an abbreviation is attached to the rest of the surname, as in
    McSweeney, McCarthy etc.
    In Irish Mac is a word of its own and is not attached to the rest of the surname, as in Mac Donnchadha, Mac Pháidín etc.

Advertisement