Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless calving cameras

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

No my shed is close to house so I ran Cat 5 out to shed. I bought it online, ebay in fact for bout €200. Set it up myslef using a dyndns account. Its a PTZ. Can use on my phone and on my Pc. I have 3 broadband in the house as part of NBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Cool last questions,
    How far are you away from the nearest exchange where there is broadband ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Hi Annuv,

Can you describe how far you live away from your farm and if there is (LOS) line of sight to your yard from your house?

Hi, yep there's line of sight alright. It's approx 100 -120m so I suppose I could consider the approach of extending the wireless network in the house to the sheds via a nano station or similar, assuming that the gateway that I have will take the connection at the house end

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Yep I did a PTP link over a 10 mile link for someone and other PTMP link over a similar distance , Ubiquity are class, Have a full stream at 720 with no latency issues of a calving unit with a guaranteed connection

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Sorry guys but what was the name of the camera that you bought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Sorry for resurrecting thread but just wondering has anyone experience of or heard anything about these guys http://www.agricamera.ie/our-calving-cameras.html.

Looking to put one into a shed ~90ft x 80ft on an outfarm, so will need to put in a some form of broadband router as well...

Any other opinions or recommendations welcome.....

TIA

Has anyone used homeplug to get wifi for camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭adne

saranac1 wrote: »
    Has anyone used homeplug to get wifi for camera?

Ya, ive used it. Send me a pm with details and ill give u my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Looking for a little guidance.

Need an IP calving camera, the shed is about 85~ meters from the house with clear line-of-sight. A fixed camera will do just fine.

Flooded with options from reading and Googling, any stand-outs right now? Indeed are they an regular outdoor camera set-ups that out preform the 'calving' branded camera systems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    Looking for a little guidance.

Need an IP calving camera, the shed is about 85~ meters from the house with clear line-of-sight. A fixed camera will do just fine.

Flooded with options from reading and Googling, any stand-outs right now? Indeed are they an regular outdoor camera set-ups that out preform the 'calving' branded camera systems?

Have a look at Logicom cameras, I can't recommend these guys anof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Have a look at Logicom cameras, I can't recommend these guys anof.

How much would they charge for the set-up I outlined?

I honestly dismissed Logicom out of hand because they were hiding their pricing on the website and seem to want to force to let them install the system, something I am quite comfortable doing myself and something I wouldn't be willing to pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    How much would they charge for the set-up I outlined?

I honestly dismissed Logicom out of hand because they were hiding their pricing on the website and seem to want to force to let them install the system, something I am quite comfortable doing myself and something I wouldn't be willing to pay for.

Ya these guys are more of a cum and install type company alright. But we got them a while back and the lad we got was very good. I'm not very computer savy so we needed sumone to instal the system.

Equicom in cork are very good

I bought camera from them and received good products and customer service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 2015LC1

Sorry for bringing this discussion back to life :L I want to be able to get my calving camera to go wireless and trying to keep it low cost to convience the auld fella. The set up we have is the camera is wired from the calving shed over land to the house and into a tv. Not good with tech but the line is powered from the calving shed. It goes into the back of the tv then through the aerial socket.

What I'd like to do is keep the set up in the calving shed (since it was only replaced 2 years ago) and try and change the set up in the house meaning the signal could still go to the tv but I would be able to see it on my phone

Anyone know if this is possible? And possibly any links? Also if possible, is it possible to view on more than one device?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

2015LC1 wrote: »
    What I'd like to do is keep the set up in the calving shed (since it was only replaced 2 years ago) and try and change the set up in the house meaning the signal could still go to the tv but I would be able to see it on my phone

there's a few ways to keep what you have and see it on your phone:

get a video encoder : converts the signal into something that will work over the internet

get a cctv in the house, put the "calving camera" on one channel

put a few more cameras out in the sheds , put dvr out there and send it over existing wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Was chatting to a chap lately who has a farm here in Donegal but works over in London most of the time doing construction jobs, he keeps sucklers and sheep, he put in a camera in his shed which he was able to see and move the camera on his mobile phone,even in London, showed me it, picture was very clear, he is able to view stock when away and his wife/kids deal with calving/lambing, think it was 2000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

For 2 grand I'd expect it to have a robotic arm to help calf the cow if needed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Ah yeah me too!, just thought it was a nice piece of technology

gctest50 wrote: »
    there's a few ways to keep what you have and see it on your phone:

get a video encoder : converts the signal into something that will work over the internet

get a cctv in the house, put the "calving camera" on one channel

put a few more cameras out in the sheds , put dvr out there and send it over existing wiring

Thanks very much for the information :) I'm gonna get straight onto that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

i got dvr and just connected to tv wire coming off camera, connected dvr to router, most dvr hav online/cloud system to link up app cost few cent for phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Got a cheapo ip camera here by foscam. Good for what it cost 130. Its marketed as a baby monitor that mammy can set up. Got our Internet provider to put in a point to point from house to farm office about 300metres. Wireless router in office then can pick up camera wirelessly, have the foscam app on phone and tablet, can see and move camera from anywhere as long as have Internet connection. Camera also has auto infrared light which is fairly good in the dark

i got dvr and just connected to tv wire coming off camera, connected dvr to router, most dvr hav online/cloud system to link up app cost few cent for phone

Thanks for the info Atlantic Mist....Is the dvr wired into the router or is it connected to the router by Wifi?

Thats my next problem...the router is located half way across the house...I've seen a few dvr's with wifi but they are alot dearer than ones without wifi

Does anyone know if there is a possible attachment that could hook up to the dvr and modem to connect them wirelessly?

I'm sorry if my questions are kinda dumb but I'm really not good with tech and really want to do a DIY job on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

i got a wirless router to as same prob as yourself but what ever i tried cant get it to hook up to router wirelessly but works fine attached wit cable u dnt need wireless router then, i found this out the hard way, im sure there is a way but couldn change ip address on wireless router and was gettin confused wit those ip address
    so im after gettin a cat5 cable and running it through attic and hav a point to router and other end joined to dvr got the dvr on amazon for 180 delivered was sanyon(might b spelt wrong dnt hav box with me let me no if u want exact spellin)

i got a wirless router to as same prob as yourself but what ever i tried cant get it to hook up to router wirelessly but works fine attached wit cable u dnt need wireless router then, i found this out the hard way, im sure there is a way but couldn change ip address on wireless router and was gettin confused wit those ip address
    so im after gettin a cat5 cable and running it through attic and hav a point to router and other end joined to dvr got the dvr on amazon for 180 delivered was sanyon(might b spelt wrong dnt hav box with me let me no if u want exact spellin)

i decided we are gonna route it directly to the modem instead...just after purchasing one on ebay...if it doesn't work out I'll just return it....Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

liam7831 wrote: »
    Anyone tried this badboy yet ?

Does it include the ky jelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Uncle got one from these lads and finds them excellent to deal with
    http://www.gaeltachtcommunications.com

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Hi all I'm looking at up dating the calving cameras. I'm wondering has anyone used the cameras from agricameras.ie what are like or who would ye recommend? I do not have a clear line of sight between the house and shed. I would also need to be able to access it from my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

I set one up for a neighbour for an out farm. Costs were as follows:

Camera - €60
    Simple Router - €80

Vodafone mobile broadband - €25 per month.

He can see it on the phone and pan and tilt it. Simple solution I think and has saved him a good few trips. All that's needed on site is power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jb1989

arctictree wrote: »
    I set one up for a neighbour for an out farm. Costs were as follows:

Camera - €60
    Simple Router - €80

Vodafone mobile broadband - €25 per month.

He can see it on the phone and pan and tilt it. Simple solution I think and has saved him a good few trips. All that's needed on site is power.

Must copy that

Advertisement