Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cardiff World Cup Q/F

Options
  • 31-08-2007 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Taking a long shot here but does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay in or around cardiff? taking a chance and guessing we may be playing there.

any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I've heard that the accomodation is extreamly short, and that you'd be better getting a jumping train for an hour and staying there...

and (please dont boo) but i dont think we are gonna qualify... i think you're gonna be watching NZ -v- Arg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

At least an hour I'd say. I've tried looking for a hotel within an hour from there with little luck. Do you know anyone who lives in Wales?

Ok... Here you go;

You could stay in the Premier travel in ---- Baglan, Port Talbot, West Glamorgan, SA12 8ES, UK
    This will cost 144 pound. 3 nights, from the 5th to the 8th..

This is about 35 mins on the train from cardiff city centre - i'd say the train would probably be 5pound / each / each way

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

jameshayes wrote:
    I've heard that the accomodation is extreamly short, and that you'd be better getting a jumping train for an hour and staying there...

and (please dont boo) but i dont think we are gonna qualify... i think you're gonna be watching NZ -v- Arg

BOO!! If Argentina are playing in Cardiff it will be only because we are playing in Paris instead :p

marco_polo wrote:
    BOO!! If Argentina are playing in Cardiff it will be only because we are playing in Paris instead :p

Good come back... and i'd love if you were right!

• Advertisement

On a related note, how are people travelling over? The best I can see is the ferry overy to holyhead, then a 5:30 hour train journey to cardiff. Unfortunately the train the next day doesnt make it back in time to the ferry. Any suggestions?

fly to east midlands on the 5th, return on the 7th, €50 return inc taxes, 3.5 hours on a train...

<edit> with ryainair -- excluding Credit card fee etc

I should be chargin for this info!!!! could make a fortune!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Leon11 wrote:
    Taking a long shot here but does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay in or around cardiff? taking a chance and guessing we may be playing there.

any help appreciated

Going over with a big group myself we booked a house in Cardiff for the weekend (we are talking overcrowing on a student summer in Boston scale), if you are only going over with one or two people it might not be a runner but if there is a good crowd it should be fairly affordable.

We booked a good few weeks ago mind so I don't know what availability might be like now, could be scarce enough as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

there's a massive group of us heading from all over the place. kiwi's, scots, canadians, english, saffies. they planned well in advance reckon i'll just kip on their floors or something for the night,

james excellent shout for the east midlands way! all others much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Leon11 wrote:
    there's a massive group of us heading from all over the place. kiwi's, scots, canadians, english, saffies. they planned well in advance reckon i'll just kip on their floors or something for the night,

james excellent shout for the east midlands way! all others much appreciated

You could try flying into Bristol.. though I'm not sure what the DUB-BRS flight prices are like - but I managed to book a Shannon - Bristol one today for about €70... It's only about 45-60 minutes on the train from Temple Meads into Cardiff Central Station.. £7 return on the bus from the airport to Temple Meads and about £10-15 return from there to Cardiff Central..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

Group of us getting the ferry over on Saturday morning, rossare-fishguard and train on to Cardiff, due in Cardiff at around 4 o clock, staying at a b&b in Newport for the night, coming back Sunday, 200euro each including match ticket, not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Ye should be going to Paris for Irelands Q.F. v Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

1. Cardiff is too small a city for a stadium the size of the Millennium. Unless you have the contacts and the constitution to endure the "kipping on the floor with the empty beer cans like students in summer in Boston" scenario, then accept that you're going to have to travel on the day.

2 The good news is that the stadium is bang in the middle of the city, a few minutes walk from the main train station which in turn is accessible from many towns and cities in England and Wales

3 If Ireland qualify at all for the q finals, it will be for this one. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Valde

Ireland will qualify :D

Irish Wolf wrote:
    You could try flying into Bristol.. though I'm not sure what the DUB-BRS flight prices are like - but I managed to book a Shannon - Bristol one today for about €70... It's only about 45-60 minutes on the train from Temple Meads into Cardiff Central Station.. £7 return on the bus from the airport to Temple Meads and about £10-15 return from there to Cardiff Central..

thanks for the heads up. I was looking to fly into Stansted but apparently there are works going on and the trains wont be running from that direction.

thanks for the heads up. I was looking to fly into Stansted but apparently there are works going on and the trains wont be running from that direction.

Stansted!!!! You must be f*@!ing joking. You might as well fly to Aberdeen.

Go to Heathrow if you must and catch the express rail link to Paddington, whence you can get a train to Cardiff easily. Stansted's practically in Holland, FFS. Totally the wrong side of london.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

http://www.aboutbritain.com/campsites/cardiff-caravan-park-at-pontcanna-fields.asp

Stayed here for the ERC final. Great option 10 mins walk to the ground along the river, thro the park. Full shower fcaiulities and acres of park land. About 20 quid a pitch if I remeber correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Scobius90

folks .... there is absolutely no hotel acomm left in Cardiff
    and trains are outta the question.
    You could still bus it to Birmingham - flights were still cheapish last week and hotels are not full ..... yet

from other threads and forums I get the impression that half of Ireland has tickets to this QF - wonder whom will we support should we not make it to Cardiff for many different reasons?

• Advertisement

Scobius90 wrote:
    folks .... there is absolutely no hotel acomm left in Cardiff
    and trains are outta the question.

Why? What's wrong with the choo choo?

The train from Bristol to Cardiff return is £14. Still plenty of seats.

The match has a late KO (8pm)and the last trains from Cardiff all depart before 10pm .... tight! the last train to Bristol for example leaves at 21.58, too tight for my liking.
    There are works on the London line so no specials are being put on. :mad:

you can check all the train times on http://nationalrail.co.uk/index.html

of course the other options are the Bus - http://www.nationalexpress.com/

they have put specials on that depart around 22.30, but am not sure if there are seats available :confused:

good luck :D

Im just staying up all night in Cardiff, no doubt there will be a party going on. Im getting the first train on Sunday back to Bristol. Its gonna be mingin

and I'll doubt if you'll be alone :D

if ireland dont make it past the pool stages are you guys still gonna go?

at the price i paid for the tickets :mad: :eek: I most deffo will be

also have flights booked and its on my roundabout way home from france (work not RWC) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

is there a boards beer planned in cardiff???:D :p:D

Scobius90 wrote:
    The match has a late KO (8pm)and the last trains from Cardiff all depart before 10pm .... tight! the last train to Bristol for example leaves at 21.58, too tight for my liking.
    There are works on the London line so no specials are being put on. :mad:

Phew!! All good useful information to know. What a total f*** up!!!

I used to think that only Ireland would tolerate a situation where, for example, if you wanted to make a day trip to the Galway races by taking the train from Dublin you would have to leave before the last race of the day in order to get the last train back at about 6:30.

I figured, even back then, that CIE putting on another train would have B&B and bar owners out wesht complaining about a Dublin 4 plot to deprive the honest hospitality business sector of revenue that was rightly theirs.

I take it all back. The Brits are just as cack handed as us when it comes to organising sporting events.

• Advertisement

Yeah you would swear twas CIE .... well at least we know that Ireland could easily make a f88k up of transport for a RWC QF as well as the UK:D :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6946758.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6948462.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6950256.stm

Advertisement