Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Howlett to Munster

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hamo

Sure isn't it grand, Doughy or Dougy will be only leaping around for ye Munster monkeys in yer famed Dell Bowl, or Toyota park or whatever name ye can come up with for Thomand......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

madds wrote:
    Cronin Healy? Richard Lane?
    lane!:)

He was very good for ire u/21 a season or two ago. not sure if he is progressing

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

Tis official.
    Howlett Munster Bound
    31 August 2007, 9:17 pm
    By Trish Drinan
    Munster Rugby has announced the signing of All Black Doug Howlett, who will commence a two and a half year contract on January 1st 2008, subject to medical and fitness clearance and the player obtaining a valid work permit.
    Munster Rugby Director of Coaching Declan Kidney says “We are delighted to have someone of Doug’s calibre and quality joining the squad. A lot of credit must go to Munster Rugby CEO Garrett Fitzgerald and outgoing Manager Jerry Holland for acquiring Doug’s services in such a complex market.”

“There’s a lot of rugby to be played in the next few months, however we are looking forward to welcoming Doug to the Munster fold on January 1st.”

Munster Rugby CEO Garrett Fitzgerald says “Doug is a world class player at the peak of his playing career and is respected by all that know him. Doug agreeing to join Munster is a great boost for our supporters, players and management. We wish him well in the RWC and look forward to him and his family arriving in Ireland.”

Speaking on the move Howlett said “This was a very big decision to make. I have had an amazing rugby career in New Zealand and I am grateful to every person who has worked with me and contributed to that.

“I consider next year at Munster as a fantastic opportunity to play for another great club and experience a different lifestyle with my family,” says Howlett.

Twenty eight year old Howlett is currently the top try scorer in Super rugby. He made his All Blacks debut in 2000 against Tonga and has since played 60 games for the All Blacks, including 59 Tests, scoring 43 tries. He is just four tries short of breaking Christian Cullen’s all-time All Blacks Test try-scoring record.

At Super 14 level, Howlett became the seventh New Zealand player to reach 100 Super 14 games and with six tries in the 2007 competition he also set a new record for the most Super 14 tries with 59. For Auckland he has played 58 games and has scored 50 tries for the province.

Career overview since 1997 –
    104 Super 14 caps - 99 for the Blues (59 tries)
    58 provincial caps (50 tries)
    59 test caps (43 tries – prior to Rugby World Cup)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

nc6000 wrote:
    Munster signing an all Black legend as he's getting on a bit, what can possibly go wrong? ;)

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

nc6000 wrote:
    Munster signing an all Black legend as he's getting on a bit, what can possibly go wrong? ;)

Getting on a bit? He's only a year older than me :eek:. Making me feel very old dude ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Think thats a great signing, he is a versatile player and easily can play both wings and full back if needed. Good signing and should be interesting times at Munster, their back line is coming together nicely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

nc6000 wrote:

He's only 28 ffs, that's not old for a rugby player, especially a back. Unless he's crocked like Cullen was, and thats unlikely seeins as he's in the AB RWC squad, he's a great addition to Munster and will give them great running options. That's something Munster have really lacked the last few years and other teams have cottoned on to how to play them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

They might play him at fullback and he has played there a bit of NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He loves Cabbage and Bacon, which was a deciding factor on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

And dont forget the jumobo breakfast roll! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 deduck

what a record

104 Super 14 caps - 99 for the Blues (59 tries)
    58 provincial caps (50 tries)
    59 test caps (43 tries – prior to Rugby World Cup) :):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I posted about Howlett coming to Munster on this forum 3 or 4 months ago, I'm great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

buck65 wrote:
    I posted about Howlett coming to Munster on this forum 3 or 4 months ago, I'm great
    I don't this is a good move for him.
    Average number of offloads in a Kiwi game at any levele is >>
    Avergae number of offloads from Munster in any game.

It reminds of Simon Geoghan, great winger but rarely got a decent pass.

Advertisement