Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Salary ballpark?

Options
  • 30-09-2014 3:19pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, does anyone have any ball park figures for what a software qa engineer with 3-4 years experience should be asking for? I'm good, though by my own standards I'm not amazing. Been working as a system test engineer for the last 2 years, I've a decent range of skills, and been getting consistent high annual ratings.

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for, should salary come up in an interview i have this week.

My commute now is negligible, but this new place would cost about 2500 a year extra to drive to (fuel and toll). So to take home what I'm on now I would need an extra 6k pre tax. But of course I'd like an overall pay rise on top of that, so I'm worried I could price myself out of their market.

/thinking to much

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

Best piece of advice is too look up what QA Engineers are getting on Irish Jobs.

They pay a lot more in Dublin than other places. Anywhere from 35k to 60k depending on how big and good the company is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

walshyp wrote: »
    Best piece of advice is too look up what QA Engineers are getting on Irish Jobs.

They pay a lot more in Dublin than other places. Anywhere from 35k to 60k depending on how big and good the company is!

Actually 35k to 80k going by Irish Jobs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Depending on location/experience, but I've heard figures of 35-45K being mentioned for mid-level QA people. Alot depends on negotiation skills as well.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Its based in Dublin

ATM im fairly deep into this bracket, and would be looking to get the top salary of that range if I moved (commuting expenses just cripple any "raise" involved). Which begs the question, Am I expecting too much?
    Based on this, perhaps im not :D
    Manach wrote: »
    Depending on location/experience, but I've heard figures of 35-45K being mentioned for mid-level QA people. Alot depends on negotiation skills as well.

I wouldn't move for 35-45K.

The job itself is probably better for my career, so I dont mind if I dont get a great salary bump, but at the same time I dont want to sell myself short.... or price myself out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I don't understand the issue. Surely if you go for it and they can't pay you what you want - then you'll be in the same position you are now. The alternative is to look for a lower salary which is something you won't do. So just apply for the job and walk away if they don't measure up to your expectations salary wise.

Also from you boards location and your fuel costs I'm going to assume your commute is Athlone to Dublin. The hours you lose of your personal time on that commute really need to be factored in to the equation. You'll probably be doing a 3 hour commute every day. You couldn't pay me to do that.

• Advertisement

Aswerty wrote: »
    I don't understand the issue. Surely if you go for it and they can't pay you what you want - then you'll be in the same position you are now. The alternative is to look for a lower salary which is something you won't do. So just apply for the job and walk away if they don't measure up to your expectations salary wise.

Also from you boards location and your fuel costs I'm going to assume your commute is Athlone to Dublin. The hours you lose of your personal time on that commute really need to be factored in to the equation. You'll probably be doing a 3 hour commute every day. You couldn't pay me to do that.

You have assumed too much.

I just don't want to sell myself short, or over value myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Couldn't see them going over 50K for 3-4 years experience, but it probably depends on the company.

Well the point still stands. A negligible commute is a very valuable asset and your budget indicates a pretty substantial commute. The most costly thing about a commute is not fuel or tolls – it's time. Apologies if I'm going on a tangent but this stand out as the most relevant aspect of your post. If you calculate your effective hourly pay, for this hypothetical job, with a decent commute you might be coming out behind your current effective hourly pay.

As to a ballpark figure. Morgan McKinley do an IT salary survey. You can find the one they did at the start of the year here. I'm not sure how reputable it is but in my own area salaries seem pretty accurate. Considering the source, it's worth mentioning lower salary expectations are in their interest. So middle/upper experience could be skewed to the lower end of things. And for some salary ranges this looks to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

robbiezero wrote: »
    Couldn't see them going over 50K for 3-4 years experience, but it probably depends on the company.

I'd agree with that. 3-4 years isn't a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

85k for a qa engineer with a few years exp isn't going to happen I reckon.

• Advertisement

We'll find out tomorrow I guess.

As for the commute, it'd probably be about 40 mins by car with traffic. Maybe an hour by train. Currently my commute is about 15 minutes. Train might even be more appealing. A bit of a walk in the morning wouldnt go amiss.

How good are sites like Glassdoor or payscale to go by?

85k for a qa engineer with a few years exp isn't going to happen I reckon.

Its a starting point for haggling.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

How did you get on Black Knight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

looking at that salary survey, it's such bullshít that managers get paid so much more than the developers actually doing the work. it's not like it's Tesco and you're stacking shelves mindlessly while the managers take all the responsibility.

and lower end salary for an iOS dev is €42k with 3 years experience. the equivalent for an 'SQL Developer' is €45k! didn't even know SQL dev was a full job title, I presumed SQL is just something devs know as part of a real progamming job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I worked in a place where Oracle DBAs were on 80k.
    If you can get a good DBA to optimise your database, it can potentially save you a lot of time and money.
    Of course, you still need a good dev to write efficient queries around the optimised DB.

but that salary is for SQL developer alone. SQL DBA is a separate job title with a lower starting salary after 3 years experience! €40k. i agree with you, there's a lot of knowledge and experience needed to be a good DBA. crazy that they're paid less than a guy/girl writing SQL queries. i assume this doesn't happen in the real world, the survey just has the wrong info.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

but that salary is for SQL developer alone. SQL DBA is a separate job title with a lower starting salary after 3 years experience! €40k. i agree with you, there's a lot of knowledge and experience needed to be a good DBA. crazy that they're paid less than a guy/girl writing SQL queries. i assume this doesn't happen in the real world, the survey just has the wrong info.

It does happen in the real world. There's a lot more to SQL than the odd select statement and table join that you might come across as an app/web developer. It's almost exclusively at the enterprise end of the market too.

i gathered those salaries were in enterprise alright.
    Graham wrote: »
    There's a lot more to SQL than the odd select statement and table join that you might come across as an app/web developer.

like what? genuinely curious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

i gathered those salaries were in enterprise alright.

like what? genuinely curious

When you move away from the fairly straightforward, single table CRUD operations things can get complicated very quickly.

Consider a financial transaction where money is moved between accounts and balance records are updated. Even at a basic level, that's probably 2 new records and 2 updates. What if one of the inserts fails how does your average system handle that? Is the error logged? Are the 2 updates and 2 inserts considered a single transaction that should be rolled back on failure? Should something happen if a transaction is rolled back. What if it's more complicated, throw in some currency conversions and you could be talking about an exponentially larger set of queries.

A fairly generic SQL developer job spec:

Understand and evaluate UNIX, SQL and or Data Modeling.
    Design and develop T-SQL procedures, query performance tunings and SSIS packages.
    Develop underlying data models and databases.
    Develop, manage and maintain data dictionary and or metadata.
    Ensure compliance of standards and conventions in developing programs.
    Design, develop and implement complete life cycle of data warehouses.
    Translate business requirements into software applications and models.
    Resolve and troubleshoot complex issues.
    Be aware of potential blocking, deadlocking and write code to avoid those situations.
    Create cubes in SQL Server Analysis Services.
    Perform and execute data extraction, transformation and loading using ETL tools.
    Maintain and manage all versions of data models for production, testing and developing databases.

Disclosure: I'm not a database developer so this post represents my understanding of part of the role. I won't be the least bit offended if a real SQL developer wants to come along and correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I work in qa. If the position you are going to is for an automation engineer then you are looking at 50-60 if not then manual qa engineer can expect to get something like 35-40 with that level of experience

• Advertisement

UncleChael wrote: »
    How did you get on Black Knight?

Got on well. Waiting on an email now to make it all official.

Salary wise, I kinda slipped up there (and after all this prep). They asked my current wage (I added a few quid to it of course), not my expected wage. Pretty sure I could of got more if id said I was currently on more.

All in all, 20% increase on my current salary. Been checking out google maps, aa routeplanner and that "waze" app for commute times. By car its probably around 35-45 minutes depending on traffic. A walk and a train would take me about an hour. Nice alternative when the weather gets worse, and drivers get slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Got on well. Waiting on an email now to make it all official.

Salary wise, I kinda slipped up there (and after all this prep). They asked my current wage (I added a few quid to it of course), not my expected wage. Pretty sure I could of got more if id said I was currently on more.

All in all, 20% increase on my current salary. Been checking out google maps, aa routeplanner and that "waze" app for commute times. By car its probably around 35-45 minutes depending on traffic. A walk and a train would take me about an hour. Nice alternative when the weather gets worse, and drivers get slower.

FYI, some companies tend to ask for a copy of your last couple of payslips from your current job to verify that salary you told them. Adding on a few quid might not be advisable.

FYI, some companies tend to ask for a copy of your last couple of payslips from your current job to verify that salary you told them. Adding on a few quid might not be advisable.

That's the last thing I want to hear. Away with ya, im not listening to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

willabur wrote: »
    I work in qa. If the position you are going to is for an automation engineer then you are looking at 50-60 if not then manual qa engineer can expect to get something like 35-40 with that level of experience

I second this, I'm around the same as you and in that bracket for automation.

That's mental. I haven't heard of that before. Unless I really needed the job I'd tell them to go jump in a lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

never heard of that before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Aswerty wrote: »
    That's mental. I haven't heard of that before. Unless I really needed the job I'd tell them to go jump in a lake.
    willabur wrote: »
    never heard of that before

Well maybe it's not typical, but for my last 2 job offers I have been asked. Granted, I work in financial services so it's a different industry. But just posting as an FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭paulpd

The new employer will need your P45, which shows what pay you received from January this year to your leaving date from your previous employer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭Tow

paulpd wrote: »
    The new employer will need your P45, which shows what pay you received from January this year to your leaving date from your previous employer

Only if you choose to give it to them. You can contact Revenue with the new employer's number and get them to issue a P2C to the employer on a week 1 basis.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Does the survey say how many of these sql developer roles there are? Willing to bet there's not that many.

Its like working on legacy systems for banks which use cobol - the wage is high but good luck trying to find a job there.

Advertisement