Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML & CSS

• 19-09-2014 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I have engaged a web design team to build a website and smart device solution for me. They have recommended that they use HTML and CSS.......I don't know much about coding, is there any considerations for using HTML/CSS for down the road, limitations etc.?
    thanks J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Make sure it's complient and validates.

http://validator.w3.org/
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jyoti565

thanks Ziycon, I'll bring that up with the design team today.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Using HTML and CSS isn't really a choice. They are the de facto technologies for building web sites and web applications. So there isn't really much to discuss.

There are a million and one technological things to know about building things for the internet. From your post I'd say you're not in a position to evaluate the technology side of things. Bringing up HTML validation in a meeting isn't going to be of much use. They're just going to tell you they validate regardless of whether they do or not.

I think the most important thing for you to do is due diligence. So get in touch with some previous customers and ask them are they happy with their web site. The studio, if they are competent, shouldn't have any issue referring a previous customer to you. Ask them specifically for a customer in your locale or line of business so that there is less chance they just refer you to a cheerleader of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Jyoti565 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have engaged a web design team to build a website and smart device solution for me.

Do you mean there is going to be smart device/mobile phone site plus a pc browser site or are they going with a responsive design ?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

amen wrote: »
    Do you mean there is going to be smart device/mobile phone site plus a pc browser site or are they going with a responsive design ?

Or are they suggesting a mobile app built with web technologies (HTML/CSS/JavaScript) rather than native code ? There are some limitation with this, alright, depending on what you want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Further to aswerty's comment on due diligence, you could also consider getting another expert 3rd party, mentor type to do some oversight on the project. From your question, it's clear there is a technology gap which would be better bridged. Eg. you are probably unlikely to realise the implications involved in amen's app vs responsive design question which are important so some guidance there would be good.

Mentioning technical things like validation when you don't really understand it isn't a good idea. It'll easily be seen through. Besides perfect validation isn't all it's cracked up to be value-wise and due to other considerations. Don't try to spoof technical knowledge, besides you are better concentrating on pursuing the business solution and all that is entailed in that.

As for html/css, keeping it very simple, html is the basis for textual web content and css the basis for formatting and displaying it. So they are really the nuts and bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aztech

Or are they suggesting a mobile app built with web technologies (HTML/CSS/JavaScript) rather than native code ? There are some limitation with this, alright, depending on what you want to do.

That's how I read it at first too, but then maybe it is not what is meant.

OP - can you clarify if this is meant to be 2 deliverables (a website and a smartphone app), or one deliverable website that is supposed to be responsive, i.e. looks good & functions/responds so the many types of screen sizes that might be viewing it.

Advertisement