Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French

• 04-05-2005 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I am pretty bad at french, I'm i honors and don;t really do any work so i don't know if i am struggling or not lol. I got 45% in mocks.

Whats the best method to study french, I ok with the verbs and tenses and but could so with a borader vocab. Any ideas?

And we hardly ever do listning in class so any way to improve on listning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Yeah I'm crap at French too, I got 47% in the mocks but lately I've been doing so much French it's killing me.

Well I dunno if it's good but what I'm doing at the moment is learning general phrases for letters/own opinions/journal that could be used no matter what the subject.

As regards the listening you could always do some at home, after all you do get a free cd with your past papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Best way to improve on listening is practice. If that's what it takes, listen to the CD on the way to school each morning. It gets your ear accustomed to the sound of a French speaker.

As for the extra vocab: consider getting a French magazine or newspaper (Le Monde, par exemple), and reading just one article per day, dictionary by your side. You'll suddenly find yourself using these excellent turns of phrases in French.

Exposure is absolute key. Try talking to a friend or family member through the medium of French for an entire day: you'd be surprised.

Failing that, what about getting a grind?

~snapscan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My advice would be to read articles as already stated, as in honours french you have to write a response to a statement or a letter. Reading articles helps with vocab, it helps you get practice for the reading comprehensions but it really helps for the written which is worth a lot. Apart from that, try doing some listening on your own, even just to practice the technique of reading the questions, listening to the CD and picking out what you need. Try not to panic if you don't understand every word being spoken, you don't need to. If you know what to listen for sometimes it just jumps ot at you. I found the less stress more success book for H level french very helpful last year, its the only thing I used to study in the last few weeks. Also make sure you know your grammar. I know its boring and horrible but it's very easy to get the basics right, know the main irregular verbs in past present and future, then know how to conjugate -er -ir and -re verbs in the tenses. Its worth it cause you can lose silly marks for making silly mistakes. Also keep to short concise sentences and you'll get the marks for communication as long as its understood rather than using poorly-constructed long sentences.
    Worked for me neways

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

yea i'm only aiming for about 45-50% so i should get it. Gona see if i can get news papers and i'll try do a bit of listning, but i find it so hard to study lol,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

try getting foreign language tv stations. We have one called Tv5, I think much is french (I never look)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Dont read Le Monde! seriously its far to hard.

Get some french websites on what you are intrested in. Do you like football? try www.football365.fr or my favourite french team http://www.cssedan.com/

I find reading the biggest help and learning my verbs (i suck at them).

Advertisement