Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handy words and phrases?

• 29-10-2015 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

So I speak Irish in my daily life now, and it has helped me leaps and bounds which is great because the LC is rearing its ugly head :P When I talk in irish the odd English words slip in, things like "yannow?" or "like" or "well"
    Could anyone give me such words or phrases in Irish? Im not really bothered in learning off reams of keywords, I prefer to have some form of fluency and speak it how Id speak English - without over complication :P thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

An dtuigeann tú? - Do you understand? (You know)

Bhuel - Well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

You'd get some handy phrases off pioc do ride as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

Féach ar focloir.ie - mar shampla, seo iontráil le haghaidh 'like"

23 adverb informal filler in speech
    we were there for like a week bhíomar ann ar feadh seachtaine nó rud éigin
    is he going out with her like? an bhfuil sé ag siúl amach léi, an bhfuil?; an bhfuil sé ag dul amach léi, nó cad é?; an bhfuil sé ag dul amach léi, nó rud éigin?
    it's not so bad, like dhera níl sé chomh holc sin; níl sé chomh dona sin, muise
    he said he was like 'okay' dúirt sé go raibh sé, mar a déarfá, 'ceart go leor'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If:

Bí + ag = To have

What's "having" in Irish?

Same with "knowing"?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

What's the context you're asking about? Can you put the words into sentences because there isn't really a direct translation. Much the same as you would never say, "having" on its own in English, nor would you in Irish.

sryanbruen: "Hi, hullaballoo! Having."
    hullaballoo: "What an odd chap."

• Advertisement

What's the context you're asking about? Can you put the words into sentences because there isn't really a direct translation. Much the same as you would never say, "having" on its own in English, nor would you in Irish.

sryanbruen: "Hi, hullaballoo! Having."
    hullaballoo: "What an odd chap."

No like "I am having a good time"

OR

"We were having great crack last night

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

sryanbruen wrote: »
    "We were having great crack last night

"Bhí an-chraic againn aréir"

There is no equivalent verb in Irish to the English "have".

An File wrote: »
    "Bhí an-chraic againn aréir"

Literally that means we had great crack last night? Is there not a verbal noun (an tainm briathartha) for "having" in Irish? Like for example,

To meet > Buail le
    Meeting > Ag bualadh le

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is there not a verbal noun (an tainm briathartha) for "having" in Irish? Like for example,

To meet > Buail le
    Meeting > Ag bualadh le

As I already mentioned above:
    There is no equivalent verb in Irish to the English "have".

If there is no verb, there can be no verbal adjective.

You could use another construction like "Bhíomar ag baint an-taitnimh as an oíche aréir" if you insist on using that tense.

As I already mentioned above:

If there is no verb, there can be no verbal adjective.

'Em.... I didn't say verbal adjective? :confused: I said verbal noun? :confused:

Oh wait... this sounds wrong of what I was about to say.

Ag bheith ag

I see why no verbal noun...

• Advertisement

'Em.... I didn't say verbal adjective? :confused: I said verbal noun? :confused:

Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say verbal noun.

That said, the point I made is still true. If no noun exists, then there can be no verbal noun or verbal adjective for it.

So for saying something like "I am having good crack". You literally say "I have good crack"?

Tá an-craic agam?

So for saying something like "I am having good crack". You literally say "I have good crack"?

Tá an-craic agam?

Another phrase (for instance, "Bhíomar ag baint an-taitnimh as an oíche aréir" or "Táim ag baint fíor-thaitnimh as seo!") would probably be more effective if you want to use a verbal noun (in this case, "baint")

Advertisement