Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

As ucht mo chuid fhiosracht féin......

• 13-10-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Haigh a chairde Gaeil.

I've seen an ad on telly quite a few times now,where soccer players like Messi,Ibrahimovic,Robben,Ribery and Ronaldo are all saying No To Racism in their native languages.Except for Bale,who says it in English instead of saying it in Welsh,oddly enough.It just has me wondering-out of curiosity-how would we say it in our language?

I know that ciníochas is the Irish for racism.
    But what would be a nice,correct and at the same time efficient way of saying No To Racism i nGaeilge?

Gura míle.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd suggest "Diúltaigh do chiníochas" as one way of saying it ('reject/refuse racism')

"Ná glac le ciníochas" could work too ('do not accept racism')

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

An File wrote: »
    I'd suggest "Diúltaigh do chiníochas" as one way of saying it ('reject/refuse racism')

"Ná glac le ciníochas" could work too ('do not accept racism')

Irish likes definite articles, maybe Diúltaigh don chiníochas. I like that anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I would absolutely love it if there was an Irish player included in that ad and hear that player deliver that message in Irish.

I remember an ad from the 90s about MasterCard,which showed different people from all over the world talking about MasterCard in their own languages.And then at the end of the ad,a lovely woman says:
    's é an cárta a bhíonn in úsáid agam i gcónaí ná MasterCard.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Gumbi wrote: »
    Irish likes definite articles, maybe Diúltaigh don chiníochas. I like that anyways.

I very nearly typed the very same thing, but then I checked Téarma.ie and started second-guessing myself. :o

Advertisement