Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for Information on an Old Map

• 20-06-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Looking for information on this old map of Ireland.If anyone can tell me more about it, i cant seem to find much.Is it an exact copy of a Roman map or is it a 17th century fake?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Wenceslas_Hollar_-_Ireland_%28State_2%29.jpg

It seems strange that concerning the area of Wexford Harbour, when the area of reclaimed land known as the south slob (constructed in the mid 19th century) is removed this map seems quite accurate, especially the aperture in what would have been the south west corner of the harbour at Muchknock prior to the construction of the slob.
    Anyway what im interested in though is the fact that their is a fort? or some kind of settlement? marked on the map just above this aperture in the area of what is today Killiane little.
    But whats even more interesting is that almost exactly where this fort is marked on the map there is the remains of a large circular inclosure SMR no WX043-012---- Which says a large circular inclosure of 90 meters in diameter identified by aerial photo. Out of curiosity could this be the settlement marked on the map? or is it just coincidental.
    I know its a long shot but if this inclosure is an iron age Ringfort from that period, it could well have been an important if not the most important trading settlement linking south east Ireland with Romano Britain at that time.

Any information would be appreciated, tnx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KnapperHandy

Want to metal detect in that area I suppose!!!

You removed your original post this morning in which you were extolling the 'virtues' of metal detecting,why??

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Would be good if you could explain why you removed your post from the opther thread? I thought you had made some good counter arguments, without saying I necessarily agreed with them!

Is the map not just Ptolemy's map of the tribes of Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Auraelium

You removed your original post this morning in which you were extolling the 'virtues' of metal detecting,why??

Because i don't want to stir a melting pot, and more than likely get banned as some people do here for expressing and opinion. If i wanted to metal detect that area which i never have done or never will because it is already a marked site.I could very easily do so i live close. But my post is genuinely aimed at some of the archaeologists who frequent these pages and maby alert them to something that may have been overlooked or maby to a connection that wasnt made.Thats all realy. If for that reason they don't want to respond thats ok but look into it in their own time, it makes no odds to me, but i would like to see the site properly surveyed and maby excavated if it was of importance.

You were less than complimentary to Irish archaeologists in your original post this morning;'amateurish' I believe was mentioned?Now you wish for those very same archaeologists to help you better understand what was going on at this site close to your home!I'm confused!!

Why not resubmit your original comments and beliefs relating to metal detecting and Irish archaeology.Let's have a civilised discussion relating to the points you brought up earlier.

As I've already said,you were extolling the virtues of metal detecting this morning,then you removed the post and now you want information relating to a possible site close to you - it doesn't add up!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Auraelium

You were less than complimentary to Irish archaeologists in your original post this morning;'amateurish' I believe was mentioned?Now you wish for those very same archaeologists to help you better understand what was going on at this site close to your home!I'm confused!!

Why not resubmit your original comments and beliefs relating to metal detecting and Irish archaeology.Let's have a civilised discussion relating to the points you brought up earlier.

As I've already said,you were extolling the virtues of metal detecting this morning,then you removed the post and now you want information relating to a possible site close to you - it doesn't add up!

Thanks.

Look it makes no odds to me like i said i deleted the post earlier because i saw that further up the thread people seemed to have been given bans for expressing similar opinions that went against the flow of group think. Which seems odd on a discussion forum. The information i put out is there if someone wants to follow it up, go for it.If you cant except input from someone simply because they have a differing opinion then its not worth having discussions of any kind which is a pity.I would like to continue a discussion based on my earlier post that i deleted but i cant see any point if as another poster above me found out, that it can get you banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Auraelium wrote: »
    Look it makes no odds to me like i said i deleted the post earlier because i saw that further up the thread people seemed to have been given bans for expressing similar opinions that went against the flow of group think. Which seems odd on a discussion forum. The information i put out is there if someone wants to follow it up, go for it.If you cant except input from someone simply because they have a differing opinion then its not worth having discussions of any kind which is a pity.I would like to continue a discussion based on my earlier post that i deleted but i cant see any point if as another poster above me found out, that it can get you banned.

That isnt what happened. You saw one guy get banned for trolling. Just because some of us may disagree with your stance on certain issues doesnt mean that your post had any less of a place here then our own. I started that thread to get discussion going on the topic of metal detecting as it is extremely divisive, for good reason. I second KnapperHandy and ask you to throw your post back up. Nobody is going to attack you for having an opinion, and if we arent discussing the topic from all sides then the thread has failed.

Incidentally, as we are getting off topic, my understanding is it entirely a 17th C. map, i.e. it has no Roman connection at all; However I know nothing about maps so I might be entirely wrong there. Your best bet might be to pop into Cathach books on South Anne St. They have a map section downstairs and I am almost certain I saw one like this so they might be able to help you? Or indeed, you could try Trinity or the NLI, but I have no idea who you would talk to I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

I am not sure but the Sig on the map was an etcher from the mid-late 1600s.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

That map is an attempt by the cartographer to transcribe the locations on Claudius Ptolemy's early map (AD 90 – c. AD 168), onto a (relatively) modern map of this island, so I would'nt read too much into the detail..

Advertisement