Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RAID, AHCI in Bios Asus z97 Pro wifi ac

• 27-11-2015 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I'm trying to do a RAID 5 configuration for my HDDs but not all of them. In my bios I have to switch the AHCI to RAID to get access to the RAID setup. When I do this and save and restart, I cannot boot into my OS because the SSD is not detected. The only way I can boot into the OS is to switch back to AHCI which I have done now to post this here. 

How can I make these two configurations co-exist? Thanks a lot guys. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Don't use RAID5. Its a really poor idea with modern disks.

2. Enable RAID then go into RAID setup (manual will tell you how to configure it) and mark the drive as "unused" or "excluded" so that the drive can be booted standalone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

ED E wrote: »
    1. Don't use RAID5. Its a really poor idea with modern disks.

2. Enable RAID then go into RAID setup (manual will tell you how to configure it) and mark the drive as "unused" or "excluded" so that the drive can be booted standalone.

Was thinking of RAID 5 because I don't mind loss of storage space and I would like the capability of recovery and the added read speed. Thought it was perfect for what I needed. Any other suggestions?

The SSD was actually labeled as non-RAID drive but when I restarted the system, the SSD wasn't even detected as a boot drive so I couldn't even find it anywhere in the BIOS except the RAID setup page.

RAID 6

If its missing as a boot device theres some setting elsewhere, one of the others may know.

Bumpity bump!

Will be taking a closer look at all the settings now. :)

Well, been googling a bit regarding this. Apparently, RAID and AHCI just can't coexist. Also, apparently there are ways to change your drive from being AHCI to RAID by changing values from the regedit so when you switch over the SATA mode at restart, the correct drivers will install. One problem, my motherboard doesn't want to recognise the drive as a boot drive when I switch over to RAID but it does distinguish it as a 'non-RAID' drive in the RAID configuration page. So I can boot the boot drive to change it to a RAID drive.

Anyone got any more insights? :P

• Advertisement

Its possible I guess that you have to point the boot config to the RAID controller then point the raid controller to use that disk for boot? I'm not sure there.

Changing a drive out of AHCI mode can be done as you've seen, but its a bit of a pain.

ED E wrote: »
    Its possible I guess that you have to point the boot config to the RAID controller then point the raid controller to use that disk for boot? I'm not sure there.

Changing a drive out of AHCI mode can be done as you've seen, but its a bit of a pain.

Well the boot config doesn't allow me to choose anything when in RAID mode. It's just searching for a 'boot drive' so it couldn't find a boot drive because the drive is in AHCI mode. It's so strange, it's like 'the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing' kind of a thing. The Raid configuration screen has the boot drive detected but it only allows me to setup RAIDs and nothing else.

The change from AHCI to RAID should actually be simple. It's only a few steps but I think the reason why it's so hard for me to do is because of my setup. When I was googling about my exact motherboard and this problem, there are some threads on other websites regarding the same problem.

AAAAAAHHHH done it.

So, the problem IS actually because of my setup. I just did a BIOS update and it booted the SSD boot drive even when in RAID mode. So all is well now as the SSD had now been converted to RAID. Thank you very much :)

Advertisement