Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Courtown/ riverchaple.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

*Gets popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Corvo

Boardieman wrote: »
    I've never read so much rubbish in my life. I only moved to Gorey 2 years ago and even I know that Courttown and Riverchapel are the holiday destinations for Dublins chav elite. Both towns have a terrible reputation, especially in Gorey. Lets not sugarcoat it like. A lot of them have also bought there, Riverchapel especially and the place has the worst unemployment problem in the south east. About 10 years ago Courttown was considered to be a nice place to go on your holidays or even buy, but during the Celtic tiger most Irish people stopped holidaying in Ireland and sold their holiday homes which are now occupied by cider drinking, buggy pushing Dubliners. Yes I'm sure there are lovely people living there too but the fact of the matter is that housing prices are cheap there for a reason and if you want to live in a nice area by the sea you should be looking at Ballymoney or even Ballygarett or Kilmuckridge. That said anywhere with mobile homes in Ireland is going to have an antisocial problem all year round because let's face it dignified people would never stay, never mind live in a giant caravan. I am also looking to buy at the moment so I have done proper research on the south east. You have to be so careful down here as there is such a shift in the quality of different areas and estates especially with so many of them formally being holiday homes. Even Gorey has a lot of bad spots and due to the rapid decline of the area due to the aforementioned influx of Chavs moving down from Dublin the Community school has a huge problem with behaviour and there are a lot of robberies locally. I'm just being brutally honest here. Buy in Inch or out the Ballycanew area if you want a bit of piece and quiet. If you are moving down here to go on the beer 5 nights a week then fine buy in Courttown. There are plenty of chippers for your 1am snack and I know plenty of bars that play the national anthem at closing time.

I think you should tell us how you really feel :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

In the early stages of buying a house. Prefer Gorey or Ballymoney but almost being priced out of Gorey and we refuse to pay the ridiculous management fees in many Ballymoney estates. Seen a few lovely houses in Ardamine at good prices. Whats the area like. We have been talked out of the area by a few people who emphasis the social problems there. Also work with an ex carpenter who says the houses there are very poorly built. Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

In the early stages of buying a house. Prefer Gorey or Ballymoney but almost being priced out of Gorey and we refuse to pay the ridiculous management fees in many Ballymoney estates. Seen a few lovely houses in Ardamine at good prices. Whats the area like. We have been talked out of the area by a few people who emphasis the social problems there. Also work with an ex carpenter who says the houses there are very poorly built. Any help appreciated

I think there's a thread here already on this area,Bmaxi who posts here is from that region and can fill you in.

The area can become very busy in the Summer but that's the extent of my knowledge about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

I'm a 44 year old local and have lived in the Courtown Riverchapel area all my life. I have never heard such prejudice of an area in all my life. Greedy developers moved in here in the 90's and took advantage of struggling farmers and older landowners who saw this tax break as their only hope of selling. None of them knew how many houses would eventually be built. The congestion of houses built in Courtown Riverchapel lies squarely on the shoulders of Wexford County Council who issued all those planning permissions. The worst IMO being the apartment block in place of the tara ballroom. We all think brown envelopes were flying around WCC at the time. They now hold my area up now as an example of what not to do. So dont run down my area because of something the people had no control over. Theres good and bad in every locality. I still prefer living here over Gorey. We are spoiled with beautiful walks, a gorgeous beach, well stocked shops, a good community spirit and fantastic neighbours who look after each other. Its extremely wheelchair and pet friendly too. Sure there are isolated problems but they come from the same handful of families. Every place has that. I love it here. Wouldn't change it for the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Can i ask anyone in the know what are the better estates in Ardamine and what are the best avoided places. Worried about the primary school too

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

Can i ask anyone in the know what are the better estates in Ardamine and what are the best avoided places. Worried about the primary school too

Ardamine court and Dun Haven are ok. Anything with a sea view over there is still expensive and very small. Glenbeg is also fine. The two to avoid right now are Branogue Park and Beachside thanks to the HSE. Riverchapel Wood is a very good estate imho. The primary school is fine. A new GAA and Soccar pitch are soon to be built along with a Bmx track, all behind Jummyz pub. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Also Estates like Glen Aoibhinn, Middleton Valley and Sunset Avenue are nice places too.. Everywhere has there own little problems but very minor. Stay away from parts of Beachside and parts of Brangoue . They are badly built houses with more Anti-social problems than the rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

As a resident of Riverchapel Wood I'm probably biased but really, I wouldn't live anywhere else. Plenty of wide open spaces and well kept green areas, ideal for children.
    As has been mentioned already, thanks to our local authorities and agencies, there are a couple of places in Riverchapel in which I would not choose to live but even within those areas, there are mostly decent people.
    Riverchapel N.S. has an excellent reputation and will guarantee acceptance in Gorey C.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I've posted before here looking for recommendations on where to move to and am looking for a it more advice.

We have narrowed our search down to 3 houses on 3 different estates.

Glen Aoibhinn, New Haven and Dune haven are the 3, I've looked through boards and I'm getting mixed reviews of Glen aoibhinn and Dune haven (many more good than bad but we want to be sure)

All houses that we are looking at have pros and cons so it really just comes down to the area.

We are conning from an area in Wicklow that had a bad time with Anti social problems so we want to move somewhere that is quiet but has enough activities for 3 kids and a family atmosphere.

Cheers

• Advertisement

hairyslug wrote: »
    I've posted before here looking for recommendations on where to move to and am looking for a it more advice.

We have narrowed our search down to 3 houses on 3 different estates.

Glen Aoibhinn, New Haven and Dune haven are the 3, I've looked through boards and I'm getting mixed reviews of Glen aoibhinn and Dune haven (many more good than bad but we want to be sure)

All houses that we are looking at have pros and cons so it really just comes down to the area.

We are conning from an area in Wicklow that had a bad time with Anti social problems so we want to move somewhere that is quiet but has enough activities for 3 kids and a family atmosphere.

Cheers

Well certainly New Haven is going to feature well, there's only about 25 houses in total and they're well away from the main drag.
    It's impossible for anybody to predict what your experience is going to be, you could move to New Haven and fall foul of your neighbours for some reason or you could have the happiest years of your life in Etchingham Heights. All I can say is, in general Riverchapel/Ardamine is a good enough place to live, I've lived here for years now and was a constant visitor for many years before I moved, but then I have good neighbours, live in a decent area, close to everything but far enough away too. I have never had any problems but I know of people who have had. There is a certain pub in the area which I would stay away from but my neighbours find it OK, it's down to choice.
    I appreciate your dilemma, you don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire but the choice is yours and no one else's and if you're that worried maybe you should stay put, divil you know and all that.
    If it's any help, I would have no difficulty in moving to any of the areas you mention, I know people in all three and all appear to be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭johnnymorgan

Hi,

I know this is an oldish thread.. I am orginally from Wexford but living in Dublin many years, just wondering for opinions(from now) about Dun Haven, RiverChapel. From reading it seems its not too bad of an area, with a decent school and close to beaches etc..

I am in my mid 30s and my fiance in her late 20s, so we would be looking to set up home etc.

Any feedback is very welcome,

Thanks
    John

Hi,

I know this is an oldish thread.. I am orginally from Wexford but living in Dublin many years, just wondering for opinions(from now) about Dun Haven, RiverChapel. From reading it seems its not too bad of an area, with a decent school and close to beaches etc..

I am in my mid 30s and my fiance in her late 20s, so we would be looking to set up home etc.

Any feedback is very welcome,

Thanks
    John
    Dunehaven is fine, also check out Glen Aobhinn, Riverchapel Wood (1st phase), Middletown, Woodlands, avoid any of the holiday home estates like Seascapes, Seamount, Seaview, poor build quality and insulation, probably storage heating. Branogue Park and Beachside also poor build quality but probably a little better, some anti social behaviour. I'm assuming of course you want to live in an estate, there are also several one offs for sale around the area.

@Marhay

cheers for the info.. I am used to city centre dublin, so that will be the biggest worry for me, from busy to very slow pace of life..

What are the amenities like? Is there a decent(or even) good internet connection around the area. I work in IT so would need it. Is closest decent supermarket(Aldi/Tesco etc) in Gorey.

Cheers,
    J

@Marhay

cheers for the info.. I am used to city centre dublin, so that will be the biggest worry for me, from busy to very slow pace of life..

What are the amenities like? Is there a decent(or even) good internet connection around the area. I work in IT so would need it. Is closest decent supermarket(Aldi/Tesco etc) in Gorey.

Cheers,
    J

Let's face it Johnny, Riverchapel is not Dublin and there are no equivalents of Henry Street or Grafton Street but, as a Dub, you won't feel out of place, at least 70% of the local population are ex pat Dubs.
    There is a local supermarket which is fairly well stocked but Gorey is where all the main shops are, Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi, Super Valu plus a range of other outlets, from clothing to hardware and electrical.
    Amenities are much what you'd expect of a rural town, there are soccer and GAA clubs in Riverchapel, Rugby, tennis, hockey, judo in Gorey. The cinema is on the road between Riverchapel and Gorey and there is also a theatre, but mostly the emphasis is on the seaside amenities of Courtown.
    Riverchapel has fibre broadband, personally my speeds are in the region of 50mbs down and 15 up, that's in Riverchapel Wood. I think the fibre cabinet network extends outwards from Courtown exchange southwards to Ardamine and Ballygarrett and northwards to Ballymoney but I couldn't say which estates are definitely connected, I'm pretty sure Beachside is and I'd say Dunehaven is but I couldn't swear to Glen Aibhinn.

Cheers for the info. About what I expected. I am from a rural town anyway so kinda used to it, but its been many a year ;) As long as there is big shops for groceries and a decent pub and one or two gym/sports clubs I am content enough.

https://www.facebook.com/CourtownRiverchapelActionGroup/

Was reading that, seems a fair bit of crime around this area as well, and from talking to people they are saying the same, with parts of courttown a no go for garda even..

Cheers for the info. About what I expected. I am from a rural town anyway so kinda used to it, but its been many a year ;) As long as there is big shops for groceries and a decent pub and one or two gym/sports clubs I am content enough.

https://www.facebook.com/CourtownRiverchapelActionGroup/

Was reading that, seems a fair bit of crime around this area as well, and from talking to people they are saying the same, with parts of courttown a no go for garda even..

The Leisure Centre in Courtown has both a gym and a pool so you won't have far to go.
    I'd be a liar if i said there wasn't any crime in the area but the Gardaí could probably tell you who is committing it and where they live. They could probably also tell you that the criminals should be in the middle of prison sentences but the powers that be decided to release them. Much of the anti social behaviour in the area is imported, you can see the cars coming in the road from Gorey at night and as you can see from the photos, the graffiti is the same, repeated in different places. I have never heard of "no go" areas in Courtown and I would be there on most nights, the Government has cut the Garda presence in the area, closed the Garda station and downgraded the Garda Station in Gorey from a regional command centre, so it's not so much a case of no go as no one to go.

A common problem in the country :/ If there are no police around and they know that, there is nothing to deter them. Not really a place I want to bring a family up in so :(

A common problem in the country :/ If there are no police around and they know that, there is nothing to deter them. Not really a place I want to bring a family up in so :(

Johnny, if you take that attitude you may go and live in a cave. Riverchapel/Courtown is no worse than most rural towns and better than a lot when it comes to crime and anti social behaviour. The Gardaí are around, just try taking your car on the road with no tax; and the place you saw in the photos with the ploughed up ground is remote from the centres of population, that is the attraction. You will always get that sort of thing in seaside areas, where there are a lot of open spaces, easily accessible to cars. I used to spend a lot of time in Portrane, Co. Dublin and it was the same, as is Tramore. They seem to be a magnet for the boy (and girl) racers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Dublin is way too expensive so we are looking to rent in another part of Ireland as we don't really need to commute very often. A friend recommended Gorey so we went down there and a rental agency showed us what they had in the area. They really recommended Riverchapel and there is a housing estate there called Middletown Valley with some nice houses for under 900 euros a month. We don't know anything about that area. What is it like? Has anybody over on Boards been or lived out that way before?

Any feedback would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

armabelle wrote: »
    Dublin is way too expensive so we are looking to rent in another part of Ireland as we don't really need to commute very often. A friend recommended Gorey so we went down there and a rental agency showed us what they had in the area. They really recommended Riverchapel and there is a housing estate there called Middletown Valley with some nice houses for under 900 euros a month. We don't know anything about that area. What is it like? Has anybody over on Boards been or lived out that way before?

I have relatives that live there nice estate bit far from the gorey town you would need a car. I think you would get better feedback in the Wexfors thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81524828
    bmaxi wrote: »
    Yes, tell us where the house is. For the most part, Riverchapel is a great place to live but some parts get very crowded and noisy in summer. Anywhere near the school or the pub I would avoid, but estates like Riverchapel Wood, Glen Aobhinn etc are fine.

Also, read http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84075042 - it may be an old thread, but it got a load of replies.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Firstly, I seriously need to ask if you actually have to live in the area. Is it possible for you to travel from Gorey when needed?

yes sure, we have a car. Why, no supermarkets etc?

bmaxi wrote: »
    Apart from being an exaggeration, it's hardly a helpful answer to the OP. Op, Middletown or Woodside would be fine, Beachside is a bit congested IMO. You don't say if you plan to rent or buy, if it's the latter I would suggest Riverchapel Wood. Courtown itself is more mature and also caters more for the rental market, houses rarely come up for sale and because of the nature of the market, properties tend not to be well insulated. Woodands would be a good option there but check the method of construction and insulation first.

Actually the one that we liked most seemed to be in Middletown. Is this an ok estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P, Wexford forum charter applies

Middletown is fine, it's a modern estate constructed within the last ten to twelve years. Also worth considering are Glen Aibhinn, just a little further in towards Riverchapel, Riverchapel Wood (Phase One) and Woodside on the far side of the village. There is a supermarket in Riverchapel which is handy for everyday shopping and all the main supermarkets are in Gorey, about five miles away. Which letting agent have you spoken to in Gorey?

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Middletown is fine, it's a modern estate constructed within the last ten to twelve years. Also worth considering are Glen Aibhinn, just a little further in towards Riverchapel, Riverchapel Wood (Phase One) and Woodside on the far side of the village. There is a supermarket in Riverchapel which is handy for everyday shopping and all the main supermarkets are in Gorey, about five miles away. Which letting agent have you spoken to in Gorey?

Actually more than one letting agent. Are there some we should avoid?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note

3 threads about Riverchaple are now merged into 1 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Just be weary about buying, not to do with the area, we are trying to buy at the moment but there are so few estates that have not yet been taken in charge by the council

Advertisement