Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you get the experience?

• 15-02-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

How's everyone, sorry if this has been posted before, I had a look and didn't see it.

I'm nearly finished a course in Java Programming Language (Oracle Associate Developer) and was even thinking about going doing a HDip in Computer Science somewhere, I was having a look to see if there were any prospective jobs and even the so-called Junior or Entry-Level positions need at least a year's experience developing. Even on ScamBridge there isn't many developer positions and anyway, they only last 9 months.

So my question is, where do you get the experience? I looked for volunteer developing positions and found nothing. Short of developing a few programs myself I dunno what to do, even then I doubt they'd accept that as 'experience'. Anyone out there who's been through this already and can give advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Write your own projects, contribute to open source projects on GitHub, build up a portfolio. I'd rather someone had a few public projects available for me to look at, than a year of working in a company with nothing to really show for it.

Advertisement