Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne 3

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Fired it up this morning. So far I'm really impressed. Max is definately back. They seem to have dropped the absurdist conspiracy theory stuff in favour of gritty brutality but I'm okay with that. I do miss the graphic novel panels tho.

Gameplay wise I like how you're not reliant on the cover system. You can use it to check out an area then run or dive out for a bunch of satisfying headshots.

Runs smooth as butter on max settings (2xMSAA) at 1680x1050. I'm running an i7 920, 6GB of RAM, 1.2GB evga GTX570. I get about 80 to 100 fps. I'll experiment with adaptive vsync and triple buffering tonight.

Small annoyance is the mouse acceleration in bullet time but upping mouse sensitivity seems to have reduced it. Apparently the aim acceleration setting for a controller seems to affect the mouse also so I'll test that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

5uspect wrote: »
    Fired it up this morning. So far I'm really impressed. Max is definately back. They seem to have dropped the absurdist conspiracy theory stuff in favour of gritty brutality but I'm okay with that. I do miss the graphic novel panels tho.

Gameplay wise I like how you're not reliant on the cover system. You can use it to check out an area then run or dive out for a bunch of satisfying headshots.

Runs smooth as butter on max settings (2xMSAA) at 1680x1050. I'm running an i7 920, 6GB of RAM, 1.2GB evga GTX570. I get about 80 to 100 fps. I'll experiment with adaptive vsync and triple buffering tonight.

Small annoyance is the mouse acceleration in bullet time but upping mouse sensitivity seems to have reduced it. Apparently the aim acceleration setting for a controller seems to affect the mouse also so I'll test that tonight.
    Excellent, was hoping the PC version would be good. My copy arrived yesterday so it'll be the first game I get which will use my shiney new 670 properly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Has anyone with the retail copy been having any trouble getting the game to load beyond the copyright splash screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Think I'll get this on PS3. I don't think my quad core 4850 setup will play this comfortably (if at all haha).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

liking this a lot more past the first couple of chapters, on 7 now
    in the favela
    and its excellent, dunno why I didnt take to it for the first while, the story gets better and now I feel like a beefed up gun toting Walter White diving around the place :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

krudler wrote: »
    in the favela
    and its excellent, dunno why I didnt take to it for the first while, the story gets better and now I feel like a beefed up gun toting Walter White diving around the place :pac:

You're about halfway now, everything from now on is absolute action goodness (both story and gunfight wise ;) )

I also noticed the uncanny resemblance to Walter, Rockstar must be Breaking Bad fans :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Liamario wrote: »
    Has anyone with the retail copy been having any trouble getting the game to load beyond the copyright splash screen?

I managed to get it to play the first time I tried. Then I alt-tabbed and it crashed.

Since then, I haven't been able to get past the title screen. It stays on "initialising" forever. It did, however, make it to loading something immediately after the titlescreen right after the time it crashed, but it crashed then. I have a suspicion that it corrupted my save or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

Does the PC version have gamepad support? Im guessing my 6870 would be good enough as i play at 720p.

deano546 wrote: »
    Does the PC version have gamepad support? Im guessing my 6870 would be good enough as i play at 720p.

Yes, but I'm at a loss as to why you would used a pad for a shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GrahamH220

Hey mate, I'm getting this problem too. I think it might be the social club. Very infuriating though. Tried launch as admin/compatability mode but no dice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

in the favela

I was the same, i was afraid to admit it but the first few chapters just weren't doing it for me and then Boom! Into the Favela and it's all been gravy since.
    Loving it now

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

5uspect wrote: »
    Yes, but I'm at a loss as to why you would used a pad for a shooter.

I've got an injury which means i can't sit down, only lie down, keyboard and mouse controls don't work well when your laying in bed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Got my copy this morning, have to hold off on playing it till sunday though.... :eek:

deano546 wrote: »
    I've got an injury which means i can't sit down, only lie down, keyboard and mouse controls don't work well when your laying in bed :P

That's no excuse! Actually, no, wait... it is a pretty good one. :)

DarkJager wrote: »
    You're about halfway now, everything from now on is absolute action goodness (both story and gunfight wise ;) )

I also noticed the uncanny resemblance to Walter, Rockstar must be Breaking Bad fans :D

the shootout in
    the office in chapter 6 was epic, so much diving around cubicles with sh1t exploding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

the shootout in
    the office in chapter 6 was epic, so much diving around cubicles with sh1t exploding

Maybe someday I'll get to see it. I have the curse of the forever initialising game.

http://i.imgur.com/8lNro.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I loved the way the theme song starts playing in the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Just finished this game. Anyone else find it extremely boring and repetative? It's actually one of the most boring games I've played in along time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

30% of trophies now :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

al28283 wrote: »
    Just finished this game. Anyone else find it extremely boring and repetative? It's actually one of the most boring games I've played in along time

Not at all. Great story, nice gunplay and physics and a very enjoyable game all around. I can understand why you'd think it's repetitive with the "cut scene - shooting - cutscene" structure to it but I was personally too engrossed in the story to let it bother me. I had more fun with 10 hours of this game than the entire 40~ hours I spent with Mass Effect 3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Same prob here...did you find a solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Pacifico wrote: »

Same prob here...did you find a solution?

Updated my graphics drivers (ati) and it ran fine then!

i did at first but once I got to chapter 5 or so it gets much better and I enjoyed it a lot more. all the favela levels are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Four frickin discs..taking an age to install :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Finished the game the other night. Great stuff. Loved when the song kicked in at the airport. Made a fantastic final run in the game. Looking forward to another playthrough. I agree with the other poster comparing it with the enjoyment of mass effect 3. Ag,ree with that completely. Mass effect felt like a chore this time after loving the 1st two games. Max payne just ticks all the boxes for me this time

I do think the "hangover" visual effect is used way too much, like it makes sense on levels where you walk around a corner to blinding sunshine or something but its overused for no reason throughout the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Anyone got this on 360? Thinking of getting it. Haven't played the other max paynes though.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Varied wrote: »
    Anyone got this on 360? Thinking of getting it. Haven't played the other max paynes though.:o

It would be wise to at least read the wiki or other sources for a synopses/backstory of the previous games, as they form a huge part of who Max is and why he is who he is. Otherwise it's just some drunk ex cop addicted to pain killers :D

It is a great game in it's own right, the previous 2 are available on XBLA for download but I'm not sure how well they have aged and I've not played them since they came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

i feel the exact same and on chapter 7 now, it just seems like a one trick pony tbh, really annoying the way you jump in to the action after a cut scene, loved the first 2 on the pc back in the day, find this very frustrating to play due to them speeding up the normal play to improve the bullettime, slowdown abilities.(neither work fully imo)

very well poolished and great voice acting though, top drawer production by rockstar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

i feel the exact same and on chapter 7 now, it just seems like a one trick pony tbh, really annoying the way you jump in to the action after a cut scene, loved the first 2 on the pc back in the day, find this very frustrating to play due to them speeding up the normal play to improve the bullettime, slowdown abilities.(neither work fully imo)

very well poolished and great voice acting though, top drawer production by rockstar.

Finished it good game
    Gonna trade it in
    Anyone know how much store credit gamestop is giving for it right now??

Advertisement