Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you willing to join Anti-Government Protests?

• 22-04-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I keep hearing more and more discussion about our levels of Public apathy in the face of this Governments actions, inactions and sheer dogged determination to ruin us all, and how their actions have been allowed to pass unchallenged by all of us as a People.

Our Government has been consistently and demonstrably proven to be self-serving, corrupt, inefficient and downright scary in the sheer breadth of their negligent incompetences.

After the shocking pushing through of the dangerously idiotic NAMA Bank and Developer Bailouts, we now have the "secret" Banking Inquiry behind closed Vault doors.

Given the State of our Health services, Schools, Roads, the HSE, FAS, Public Sector and the fact that our Government seems determined to put ever increasing numbers of People out of work thorough maintaining their past, current and future levels of poor form and stupidity.

Can you continue to stand by day by day and watch as Fianna Fail dictate their idiotic policy and pretence to The Green Party who then in turn promise to blindly and sheepishly back their corrupt agenda in return for some nonsensical little token favour thrown into their delusional and hopelessly harebrained midst?

Would People on here be willing to show up and conduct peaceful, well-organised Anti-Government Protests at each and every Government function, event, opening, announcement and other such propaganda exercise that happens in their own Region?

I think it is entirely feasible that these could be promoted and organised via the regional Fora on here.

I believe that ideally no Representative of our Government should be allowed to conduct any official duty, attend any function or appear in any official capacity anywhere without being met by an appropriate demonstration which accurately reflects the true levels of respect and approval we have for the manner in which they have been so shamefully handling the affairs of our State.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

yes,

i heard last week more irish people protested against stag hunting that against FF & the banking crisis nama etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd protest to call for a general election.

However, my fear of any anti-government protests is that they'd be hijacked by the PS unions and that my presence there would end up being used by the kind of people I would wipe my boots on to further their ignorant arguments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'd be willing to protest about the 'coverup' of the banking inquiries, but little else. If the 'mob' had their way Ireland would have defaulted on its debt long ago and half the population would be halfway to England on a boat by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Denerick wrote: »
    I'd be willing to protest about the 'coverup' of the banking inquiries, but little else.

I'd protest about NAMA, the bank guarantee, the votes of confidence for O'Dea and O'Donoghue, additional so-called Green taxes and the general "out-of-touchness" of the incompetent idiots who think they can milk us for small fortunes while paying themselves small fortunes for ruining the country and get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think it comes down to the fact that we are a divided people. Many people just simply won't get involved in anti-govermentalism, so to speak, with trade unions or semi-professinal protesters.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'd protest about NAMA, the bank guarantee, the votes of confidence for O'Dea and O'Donoghue, additional so-called Green taxes and the general "out-of-touchness" of the incompetent idiots who think they can milk us for small fortunes while paying themselves small fortunes for ruining the country and get away with it.

You're more than entitled to your opinion and your protest. But it is exactly for those reasons, and the way those arguments are presented, that I would refuse to join the protest bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

Would be of topic to say I would join an anti Opposition protest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

scr123 wrote: »
    Would be of topic to say I would join an anti Opposition protest ?

To be honest you haven't said anything clearly at all, but if its in keeping with the below sentiment then I'm not sure your skillset, mindset or upset is required - Thanks
    scr123 wrote: »
    Wasnt aware till last November sites like Politics.ie and Boards.ie existed. Logged on as user to P.ie and had three great months taunting the ABFF till they ganged up on had me banned. They give but cannot take it. Then logged on here and made a few posts but was threatened by a Mod for no reason other than retaliating to personal abuse. Have not bothered for a while now as its the same old crapology from people with nothing else but a chronic addiction to hatred of FF. Anyway it get boring boring talking to the wall.
    However, this thread is the most disgusting I have come across anywhere in the hatred of FF. Its pointless attacking the ABFF as in the case of P.ie I would surely be banned. Can get around the banning but for goodness sake if free speech is denied to one section of political life whats the point.

Anyway, can I just say I get down on my knees every day and thank the lord the ABFF did not win the 2007 election because for certain we would have 700000 to 800000 unemployed now and the soup kitchens would be all over the country !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Raiser wrote: »
    After the shocking pushing through of the dangerously idiotic NAMA Bank and Developer Bailouts...
    Ignoring the rest of your hyperbole for just a moment, could you explain how property developers have been 'bailed out'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Sleepy wrote: »

However, my fear of any anti-government protests is that they'd be hijacked by the PS unions and that my presence there would end up being used by the kind of people I would wipe my boots on to further their ignorant arguments.

I absolutely agree with this post. I see my interests and the intersts of my family as being opposed to that of the PS workers. From my perspective, controbuting to the PS salary and Pensions fumds is going to hamper my own furure fortunes. It is an us versus them situation from my point of view and it was even before the recession. The fact that the documents outling the reasons for the original bemchmarking process were destroyed says it all.

• Advertisement

You're more than entitled to your opinion and your protest. But it is exactly for those reasons, and the way those arguments are presented, that I would refuse to join the protest bandwagon.

What ? You don't think that entire list is justifiably objectionable ? :eek:

Enlighten me as to what you would change about that list to make it acceptable to you, and what ones you don't find objectionable.

What ? You don't think that entire list is justifiably objectionable ? :eek:

Enlighten me as to what you would change about that list to make it acceptable to you, and what ones you don't find objectionable.

Of course its objectionable, but in the real world I'd argue what we could do differently. I doubt a lot of thought has went into the anti-government position other than instinctive anger and self righteousness.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They can. I can prove this:

They did.

DeV.

Of course its objectionable, but in the real world I'd argue what we could do differently. I doubt a lot of thought has went into the anti-government position other than instinctive anger and self righteousness.

Sorry ?

Do you even read my posts on boards ?

Because if you did you'd know that a hell of a lot of thought has gone into my so-called "anti-government position".....otherwise known as a perfectly natural reaction to corruption, incompetence, greed and a complete failure to spot what I - as a not-paid-a-fortune ordinary informed person - saw coming over 3 years ago.

Mind you, I didn't see the bailout and stunning / sickening Government redistribution of wealth, because I was of the impression that capitalism and banking involves investors taking risks and being able to handle the consequences.

I find your attempt to imply that I have not put a lot of thought patronising and insulting; is it just because you don't agree that you're guessing how much thought went into it ?

You can't possibly know and are replying based on your own bias; so please stop.

The lady doth protest too much. I wasn't referring to you personally Liam.

The lady doth protest too much. I wasn't referring to you personally Liam.

I appreciate that, but you're still happy to write off opinions of those who would have the same view - after maybe the same amount of thinking - as myself ?

I "personalised" it because I can stand over it 100%, but it could have been any one of one or two million people typing my post......would you agree ?

So without knowing, you can't say they didn't think about it.

Most people seek a bogeyman when the country is in trouble, I think its an instinctive reaction. Personally my opinion is that I don't like FF, I won't vote for FF, but I think completely standing in their way on every national issue strikes of partisanship, not reason. And hence, why I wouldn't join an anti government protest. I'd rather they took tough decisions, even if unpopular, so long as they are in the national interest. If the government took the 'popular' path, this country would be down in the sink. Take for example the Greek protesters - if they got what they demanded, their country would sink into the Mediterranean and take the Euro with it. I think the Irish protestors are very close to this level of absurdity.

Most people seek a bogeyman when the country is in trouble, I think its an instinctive reaction. Personally my opinion is that I don't like FF, I won't vote for FF, but I think completely standing in their way on every national issue strikes of partisanship, not reason.

Not the case; I've credited them with one or two successes (the smoking ban and the new motorways).....the fact is, though, that their level of cock-ups, corruption and self-interest COMPLETELY outweighs any good they might have done.
    I'd rather they took tough decisions, even if unpopular, so long as they are in the national interest.

That ridiculous line again ? :P

For the last time, FF are not unpopular because of their "tough decisions" since the crisis.

They are unpopular because of their actions which created the level of crisis that we have, and the ridiculous and incompetent decisions since, as well as their blatant disregard for fairness (not ensuring that the banks - who have no money - implemented pay cuts while simultaneously claiming that the country - which also has no money, partly because of said banks - implements pay cuts); paying themselves fortunes while telling the rest of us (public AND private) to suck it up. And that contrived "public vs private / divide and conquer" strategy is another example; if we ALL pulled together - INCLUDING the now state-appointed NAMA and TDs - we might actually accept a lot more, but FF's bias and lack of true leadership ensures that the imbalances and unfairness makes everyone dig in their heels......if a former corrupt banker gets paid half a million from the bankrupt State, why should someone on €24K take a cut that puts them below the breadline ?

They have no concept of accountability and/or fairness.

THAT is why they are unpopular.

Not because of any fictional "they don't like us because of the tough-but-neccessary (in their own view) decisions" bull**** that they delude themselves is the cause.

Can you please explain the following:

A) How did Fianna Fáil cause an international economic crash?
    B) How did the policy platforms of FG differ substantially on economic policy with FF over the last 20 years? (How do you deal with the fact that FG were clamouring for a populist slashing of Stamp Duty in the last election?)
    C) What was the alternative to public spending cuts across the board?
    D) Would you rather us having to call in the IMF?

You may be right, I may be right. But at least create an argument.

Can you please explain the following:

A) How did Fianna Fáil cause an international economic crash?

Quit misrepresenting and strawmanning. FF didn't cause THAT, and no-one claims that they did.

They did, however, ensure that it hit us far, far worse.
    B) How did the policy platforms of FG differ substantially on economic policy with FF over the last 20 years? (How do you deal with the fact that FG were clamouring for a populist slashing of Stamp Duty in the last election?)

The devil is in the detail. If we had had a proper regulator, then there would have been none of the current fiasco. If FG didn't rely on the construction taxes for day-to-day stuff, then we wouldn't have been as badly hit.
    C) What was the alternative to public spending cuts across the board?

How about not implementing Ahern's ridiculous benchmarking in the first place, or implementing it in such a way that it would reflect both up AND down, which would have been fair and forward-thinking ?

Anyways, this was after the fact. It's only required because of A and B, and is therefore irrelevant.
    D) Would you rather us having to call in the IMF?

I don't know. At least they wouldn't be pandering to vested interests and ensuring we were all ridden up the hole.

Also, I couldn't see the IMF doing a midnight deal without demanding a look at the banks' books, thereby hanging us out to dry completely through a pathetic, naieve (or worse, deliberate and complicit) action.

They'd probably also tell banks - rightly - to go take a flying f**k if they wanted to pay their mates a few million here and there.

Again, this relates to NOW, rather than the main objection that people have with FF, which is that they CREATED the now, and are therefore incompetent.
    But at least create an argument.

Then start by dealing in the actual issues, rather than toeing the FF line with "tough decisions" and option A, above.

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced that you really believe deep down that FF deserve unique blame for the economic disaster, and I'm not convinced that you really believe that any other political party would have reacted any differently. Every other ruling party in the western world (Bar a few exceptions, such as Angela Merkel and the Christian Democrats in Germany) face popular discontent. Why do you think that is? Do you think that they're all wrong? Or do you think that the problems facing us are particularly epic and that to hold one group with such unique and absurd blame is delusional.

P.S- 'If we had had a proper regulator, then there would have been none of the current fiasco.'

Now I know you don't really believe that. The mob (Who are short sighted idiots, you should always remember that there is no wisdom in crowds or popular opinion, just instinctive anger and irrationality) would have screamed with outrage if a regulator had touched their beloved private property boom. Hundreds of thousands of people were on the property ladder, any intervention that would have effected supply would have caused massive outcry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

I too would protest to call for a general election.

However, my fear of any anti-government protests is that they'd be hijacked by the right wing business sector and that my presence there would end up being used by the kind of people I would wipe my boots on to further their ignorant arguments.

Why would the right wing business sector highjack an anti government protest? You didn't think that post through, did you?

Keep your boots tidily placed inside your own Front Door then - There's always an excuse for inaction and "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil our Government is that good men do nothing"

I'm not convinced that you really believe deep down that FF deserve unique blame for the economic disaster, and I'm not convinced that you really believe that any other political party would have reacted any differently.
    Now I know you don't really believe that.

What ?

Oh, I'm sorry - you know far, far better than me what I believe....... in the voice of Fr Jack : "I'm soooooo sooorrrrryyyy"

How could I possibly have indicated exactly what I believe in the previous posts, and been soo wrong ?

Do you even realise how patronising, condescending, arrogant - not to mention downright wrong - your post above is ? How would you have reacted if someone said something similar about what you believe ?

You and FF might PREFER if I didn't believe it, but then that just shows how out of touch FF is.

I post what I believe, under my own name, and no anonymous poster on the internet has the right to post what you just posted; as a result, I've reported it.

You said that you wanted a debate, but if you're going to project and spout bull like the above, it certainly appears that you don't.

So debate away with yourself and your convictions and mistaken beliefs from now on........ [hits ignore]

:eek:

Take a chill pill. Over-reaction. Or did I touch a nerve?

Liam Byrne and Denerick I wasn't going to comment earlier because I thought you were both finished - This seems to be a personal disagreement between the two of you - With all due respect could ye please stop littering the thread, dragging it of topic and take your personal discussion to PMs?

- Mods I'd really appreciate a tidy-up...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

btard wrote: »
    I too would protest to call for a general election.

However, my fear of any anti-government protests is that they'd be hijacked by the right wing business sector and that my presence there would end up being used by the kind of people I would wipe my boots on to further their ignorant arguments.
    I wish I represented the "right wing business sector". I can only imagine that I'd be far better off if I owned a business.

Can you enlighten me as to which of the union leaders has made an argument against cutting government expenditure recently that wasn't entirely ignorant the reality of our current deficit?
    Raiser wrote: »
    Keep your boots tidily placed inside your own Front Door then - There's always an excuse for inaction and "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil our Government is that good men do nothing"
    To a point, I agree. However, when it comes down to it, the only actions I can see myself as able to take for the benefit of the Irish people involve actions both illegal and likely to ensure that my daughter wouldn't have me around while she was growing up. I'm simply not wealthy or connected enough to influence the politics of this state through non-violent action.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Guys calm down a bit please.

Raiser, leave the modding to the mods please. I appreciate you mean well but we'd prefer if you just reported posts rather than try to moderate users yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I would like to join anti Government protests but in reality it will never happen because the Irish people are too soft,prefer to moan about the government on a barstool instead of taking to the streets about it and there's a mentality with half the population because it's Fianna Fail in power they don't mind been screwed! In my workplace things are gone very quite now but yet instead of lads pulling together to try and see what can be done there is as**oles on the job going behind our backs to the boss offering to work at lower rates and work overtime on flat rates just to keep their jobs instead of everyone going on a 3 day week and been kept employed! That's the Irish for you,good at stabbing our own in the back!

Advertisement