Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer to tv audio

Options
  • 02-04-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

Hi guys looking to connect computer to tv however only have vga or usb connections on the computer.Now i have connected it to tv but only get picture & understand that vga doesn't do sound so my question is can i connect from headphone jack with an rca cable to back of tv,thanks.

Sorry mods if posted in wrong place

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

delw wrote: »
    Hi guys looking to connect computer to tv however only have vga or usb connections on the computer.Now i have connected it to tv but only get picture & understand that vga doesn't do sound so my question is can i connect from headphone jack with an rca cable to back of tv,thanks.

Sorry mods if posted in wrong place

You can buy a VGA cable with an audio jack built in that will do the job. Not sure how much but Maplins should have in stock.

CC388A1-06_LR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YES, you can use 3.5mm audio male,from headphone out, to rca stereo to get sound from pc to tv.

YOU might need to go to tv,menu,audio, settings, select , audio source, audio input, etc to activate the sound,
    NO need to buy a vga,/audio cable, unless you think it looks neater.

SOME tvs, have 3.5mm audio in, as well as rca stereo in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

riclad wrote: »
    YES, you can use 3.5mm audio male,from headphone out, to rca stereo to get sound from pc to tv.

YOU might need to go to tv,menu,audio, settings, select , audio source, audio input, etc to activate the sound,
    NO need to buy a vga,/audio cable, unless you think it looks neater.

SOME tvs, have 3.5mm audio in, as well as rca stereo in.
    Cheers riclad,the tv has this & i have a head phone cable that plugs into both computer & tv but still no sound even though i changed sound settings on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If your TV has a VGA port then somewhere close by there should be a socket which takes a 3.5mm male plug, this is the same plug at the end of your headphones.

The left and right RCA (phono) sockets on the back of a TV are for audio 'out' only - to connect the TV to older amplifiers for example.

Assuming there is a 3.5mm socket on the back of the TV, what you need is this cable, then plug in the VGA cable and select 'Computer' or 'VGA' on your TV input selection menu.

cable_35mm-35mm-stereo.jpg

You can buy that cable ,in power city,maplins, harvey norman.
    maybe in audio,menu,settings, there maybe a separate, volume control, for audio in ,rca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

On any TV I've had that had a VGA port it had RCA in beside it connect a cable from the headphone jack/audio out in your computer to that and it should work.. Check the sound setttings on the computer I remember with one particular laptop I had to disable the onboard speakers to get sound to work from the headphone port.

Post the tv model no,
    here,
    every tv,has different settings,menu .

Thanks for all the advice guys,yeah the tv has rca sockets & also a phono/turner jack socket.
    That black cable what's it called a phono to phono?
    Link to manual for tv & thanks again guys

http://www.walker.ie/download/manuals/um/WP3208IDTV-IB.pdf

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The socket on the TV that you were plugging the 3.5mm jack into (G) is an output for headphones, not an input from the laptop. You need to get a headphone ->RCA connector and connect through the audio inputs (H) in order to get sound from the laptop through the TV... take a look at pages 9 and 10 of the manual you linked.

Something like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Foot-3-5mm-1-8-Inch-Stereo-Headphone-To-Two-Male-RCA-Audio-Cable-/191117661699

- 12 - quote manual,

Connecting the LCD TV to a PC
    For displaying your computer’s screen image on your LCD TV, you can connect your computer
    to the TV set.
    • Power off both computer and display before making any connections.
    • Use 15-pin D-sub display cable to connect a PC to the LCD TV.
    • When the connection is made, switch to PC source. See “
    Input selection
    ” section.
    • Set the resolution that suits your viewing requirements. Resolution information can be found
    in the appendix parts

from manual,
    see page 13 picture shows to connect pc, use 3.5mm male audio to stereo audio rca male cable.
    connect to 2 rca in puts as on page 13 manual.

3.5mm to rca male stereo cable is 4 euro in power city,
    or maybe look in dealz, poundworld shops, cable section.
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/images/detailed/2/3.5mm-to-rca-cable.jpg

use cable in pic above.

use 2 audio in,rca in, as on page 13 of the manual.
    connected to laptop audio headphone out.

GO to tv,sound menu,headphone set volume to 70 per cent.

maybe try plugging headphones into tv 3.5mm port.

just to see IF pc sound is there.

• Advertisement

Guys thanks very much for the help,will head to powercity tomorrow,will let you know how i get on

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Now with pictures :)

F0E601A9E9DF406D9B42D25C1FEEBCD6-0000358552-0003534457-00500L-DA16720FF29F4DB7B8C20A2BD632EAD6.png

from the manual,you must use those 2rca in ,ports,in the diagram for connection to a pc ,laptop.
    check length of cable before you buy it,they may have ,long, and short cables.

Just to let you guys know the rca cable which i got in powercity worked fine even got the sound through the surround sound system,again thanks

Advertisement