Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible false flag torpedo attacks on US carriers in the Persian gulf.

• 19-01-2012 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"Underscoring its desire to keep U.S. aircraft carriers from the Persian Gulf, a senior Iranian military commander today announced his possible plan to ambush the American fleet.

Chalk this one up to more bluster, or part of a mounting back and forth rhetoric headed nowhere good, either way — Tehran plans to rely on its subs.

Lieutenant Commander of the Iranian Army's Self-Sufficiency Jihad, Rear Admiral Farhad Amiri told FARS that Iran has the finest electric diesel submarines in the world, and that while the U.S. has focused on Tehran's "astonishing surface capabilities," it has forgotten about the underwater threat".

Could this mean that Israel is getting ready to do a repeat as it has done in the past by shooting at a US ship as a false flag. It seems more likely Israel would fire on an American ship than for Iran to fire on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

this was posted in another thread on this topic
    Iran Target Of ‘False Flag’ Strategy?
    Quote:
    Several warnings of an imminent “false flag” attack by the Israeli-influenced US on one of its own warships, which Several warnings of an imminent “false flag” attack by the Israeli-influenced US on one of its own warships, which will be attributed to Iran, have been reported by several reliable sources.

In recent years “false-flag” terrorism has been utilized multiple times by US and Israeli political actors to provide pretexts for otherwise unjustifiable, anti-Islamic military excursions. The plan is to justify an all-out assault on Iran based upon a new fabricated “Pearl Harbor”.
    Perry asserts: “[an] Iranian attack on an American military vessel will serve as a justification and a pretext for a retaliatory move by the US military against the Iranian regime.” However, Perry identifies “a US aircraft carrier” as the likely target of this imagined Iranian attack.

We beg to differ. There are major indications that the vessel of choice is to be the USS Vincennes. The fourth USS Vincennes (CG-49) is a US Navy Ticonderoga class Aegis guided missile cruiser. On July 3, 1988, the ship shot down Iran Air Flight 655 over the Persian Gulf, killing all 290 civilian passengers on board, including 38 non-Iranians and 66 children.

This would be an ideal vessel for the staged provocation as it could be easily sold to the world as having been Iranian retribution for the 1988 downing of Flight 655. That way the evident lack of motive for Iran to provoke the US and Israeli military will be replaced by a perceived “motive.” No one will stop to ask themselves why Iran would thereby engage itself in a major war.

Jim Fetzer, a former Marine Corps officer, is McKnight Professor Emeritus at the University of Minnesota Duluth and the founder of Scholars for 9/11 Truth. Joshua Blakeney is a graduate student at the University of Lethbridge, member of Scholars for 9/11 Truth and Staff Writer at Veterans Today.

http://www.eurasiareview.com/1401201...strategy-oped/
    This would be a perfect opportunity for a false flag as Iran has already told the US navy to fcuk off and not return into the gulf, and Israel and the US are playing good cop, bad cop at the moment with the US calling off the joint military exercise with Israel over Obama being dissed by Israel, whether its actually pulled off or not is yet to be seen.

the USS vincensies is the logical target for a 'Gulf of Tonkin' style incident

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

Just a few articles to add, I'm wondering what type of game is being played out here, Israel saying bombing Iran a long way off, another US carrier in the persian sea, Iran seemingly ready to torpedo them, false flag allegations flying around.

Israel Says Decision on Iran Attack ‘Far Off’
    http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-news/2012/01/18/israel-says-decision-on-iran-attack-far-off-4/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/barak-says-israeli-decision-on-iran-strike-remains-far-off/2012/01/18/gIQAcXCv7P_story.html

ANOTHER US CARRIER ARRIVES IN THE STRAIT OF HORMUZ
    http://www.agi.it/english-version/world/elenco-notizie/201201192221-cro-ren1109-another_us_carrier_arrives_in_the_strait_of_hormuz

USS Abraham Lincoln sails into waters off Iran
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/19/world/meast/arabian-sea-us-carrier/index.html
    U.S. Dismisses Iranian Warning Against Navy Carrier in Gulf
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/03/pentagon-officials-dismiss-iranian-warning-against-us-carrier-in-gulf/

Iranian subs laying in wait for US Aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf
    http://www.examiner.com/city-buzz-in-charlotte/iranian-subs-laying-wait-for-us-aircraft-carriers-the-persian-gulf

Iranian Submarines' Ambush for US Aircraft Carriers in Persian Gulf

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=9010171671

US acts to hold Israel back from striking Iran.
    http://www.debka.com/article/21650/

U.S. pushing world to the brink of world war
    http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/09-01-2012/120180-us_pushing_world_to_brink_of_world_war-0/

Details of Obama’s letter to Iran released
    http://tehrantimes.com/politics/94692-details-of-obamas-letter-to-iran-released

Lets wait and see how all this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

I don't even think it's much of a CT now, it's going to happen. If Iraq(1+2), Afghanistan, and all of the Arab 'spontaneous uprisings' (I know, sounds silly when you say it out loud doesn't it!) are anything to go by, the untied nations of USA, UK and Israel are itching to reduce Iran back to the stone age and can't wait to do so.

As soon as the other chess pieces are on board, coerced and assured slices of the pie the end game will commence.

By the way, I intially spelled 'united' wrong and then looked at it. I thought it quite apt to leave the word as it is.

Time to stock up on coal and briquettes I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Danpad wrote: »
    I don't even think it's much of a CT now, it's going to happen. If Iraq(1+2), Afghanistan, and all of the Arab 'spontaneous uprisings' (I know, sounds silly when you say it out loud doesn't it!) are anything to go by, the untied nations of USA, UK and Israel are itching to reduce Iran back to the stone age and can't wait to do so.

As soon as the other chess pieces are on board, coerced and assured slices of the pie the end game will commence.

By the way, I intially spelled 'united' wrong and then looked at it. I thought it quite apt to leave the word as it is.

Time to stock up on coal and briquettes I think.

It does look almost inevitable at this point.

If and when it does happen, to what extent will it expand?

The russians are starting to make noises about the threats to Iran, so this could turn into a right mess

Is here any parallel to history onthis one

Afghanistan == Rhineland
    Iraq == Czekesloavakia
    Iran == Poland??????

• Advertisement

It does look almost inevitable at this point.

If and when it does happen, to what extent will it expand?

That's a big question, everything is in place, everyone is ready, it could kick off any minute, but where will it lead?

I think nuclear weapons will be used, the US already gave the green light for use in conventional warfare a long time ago using mini nukes.

Russia have a fleet of ships in port in Syria, Israel has its "Samson Option", Iran has told the US to stay out of the Gulf, sumarines can take down the biggest of the US's ships.

Militarily tha US stronger, but a small number of Iranian men with missiles can take down any US super structure.

Many nations will be drawn in and it would be WW3 and would affect the world in lots of ways.

Best get yourself a bicycle and duct tape!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

stuar wrote: »
    That's a big question, everything is in place, everyone is ready, it could kick off any minute, but where will it lead?

I think nuclear weapons will be used, the US already gave the green light for use in conventional warfare a long time ago using mini nukes.

Russia have a fleet of ships in port in Syria, Israel has its "Samson Option", Iran has told the US to stay out of the Gulf, sumarines can take down the biggest of the US's ships.

Militarily tha US stronger, but a small number of Iranian men with missiles can take down any US super structure.

Many nations will be drawn in and it would be WW3 and would affect the world in lots of ways.

No they won't. There's no benefit for anyone to use them.

Jaafa wrote: »
    No they won't. There's no benefit for anyone to use them.

Mini nukes in conventional warfare have been given the green light by US congress a few years ago, and "if" war breaks out with Iran I don't see why the US would refrain from using them on Irans underground bunkers.
    Here's an example of official US policy
    http://www.countercurrents.org/us-chossudovsky190107.html

The stated objective is to:

"ensure the most efficient use of force and provide US leaders with a broader range of [nuclear and conventional] strike options to address immediate contingencies. Integration of conventional and nuclear forces is therefore crucial to the success of any comprehensive strategy. This integration will ensure optimal targeting, minimal collateral damage, and reduce the probability of escalation." (Doctrine for Joint Nuclear Operations, p. JP 3-12-13)

Mini nukes have been an option in "conventional" warfare by the US for a number of years now, it's just if they start using them and Russia takes a disliking to it the bigger regular ones will come out to do what they do best.

Also if 1000's of conventional missiles start landing on Israel it will adopt its "Samson Option" or Israels touting of their "mini nukes".

“Because stopping a nuclear Iran is so important, all options are open. All the possibilities.” Said the white house spokesman … But what about stopping a nuclear Israel. Why nobody is troubled with addressing that issue … and what are the options “on the table” for Israel in case she decided to hit Iran with those mini nukes Israeli military experts have been raving about …
    http://www.pacificfreepress.com/news/1-/10690-assassin-as-president-santorum-okay-with-killing-iranian-scientists-a-doctors.html

The Samson Option
    The Samson Option is a term used to describe Israel’s alleged deterrence strategy of massive retaliation with nuclear weapons as a “last resort” against nations whose military attacks threaten its existence, and possibly against other targets as well.[1] Israel refuses to admit it has nuclear weapons or to describe how it would use them, an official policy of nuclear ambiguity, also known as "nuclear opacity." This has made it difficult for anyone outside the Israeli government to definitively describe its true nuclear policy, while still allowing Israel to influence the perceptions, strategies and actions of other governments.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_Option

Israel are mad enough to think it will benefit them and whatever benefits the US benefits the US, its a frightening scenario, but very possible and already a policy of war, the deterrence factor is no longer here, simply they have them and what better nation than Iran to use them, especially since they have underground bunkers.

When Israel comes under attack with 1000's of missiles it won't hesitate to pull out a few mini's to show its military madness.
    When a few USS aircraft carriers are at the bottom of the sea, all options will be on the table.

Hopefully your right, but the way this will escalate wont be Iraq/Afghanistan/Libya, none of which could really threaten the mighty US war machine like Iran can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

When a few USS aircraft carriers are at the bottom of the sea, all options will be on the table.

That i not a likely scenario i think ... at least not executred by those diesel subs Iran has imo ... or am i missing something here

weisses wrote: »
    That i not a likely scenario i think ... at least not executred by those diesel subs Iran has imo ... or am i missing something here

Disel subs alone no. But if Iran were to attack one aircraft carrier group, with subs, a hundred fishing sized boats armed with anti ship missiles, and launch say a dozen MIRV Ballistic missiles, all on one target it's hard to see anything surviving that. If they are capable of organizing such an attack is another thing.

Have you heard of the Millennium Challenge war games?
    Red received an ultimatum from Blue, essentially a surrender document, demanding a response within 24 hours. Thus warned of Blue's approach, Red used a fleet of small boats to determine the position of Blue's fleet by the second day of the exercise. In a preemptive strike, Red launched a massive salvo of cruise missiles that overwhelmed the Blue forces' electronic sensors and destroyed sixteen warships. This included one aircraft carrier, ten cruisers and five of six amphibious ships. An equivalent success in a real conflict would have resulted in the deaths of over 20,000 service personnel. Soon after the cruise missile offensive, another significant portion of Blue's navy was "sunk" by an armada of small Red boats, which carried out both conventional and suicide attacks that capitalized on Blue's inability to detect them as well as expected.
    At this point, the exercise was suspended, Blue's ships were "re-floated", and the rules of engagement were changed; this was later justified by General Peter Pace as follows: "You kill me in the first day and I sit there for the next 13 days doing nothing, or you put me back to life and you get 13 more days' worth of experiment out of me. Which is a better way to do it?"[2] After the reset, both sides were ordered to follow predetermined plans of action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

• Advertisement

I don't think any Carrier strike group over there will be caught off guard ... false flag maybe but not by the Iranians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_strike_group

That"s a pretty large arsenal and their satellite surveillance .. But who knows ..maybe they will look for an excuse to retaliate

And no i didn't here of the Millennium Challenge war games ... at least now they know what could be waiting for them :D

I don't think any Carrier strike group over there will be caught off guard ... false flag maybe but not by the Iranians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_strike_group

That"s a pretty large arsenal and their satellite surveillance .. But who knows ..maybe they will look for an excuse to retaliate

And no i didn't here of the Millennium Challenge war games ... at least now they know what could be waiting for them :D

Thing is the Iranian boats could easily be disguised as fishing boats, and other normal looking boats. In the narrow straight they could get very close before being recognized. Hell even marked Iranian gunships managed to get within a few hundred yards of US boats without being shot at. This is probably the Iranians trying to get the US ships used to them being that close, so when they need they can take advantage of it

If an attack such as the one described in the above war games were to happen, I'd see no other options for the US but to retreat or engage in total war. 20000 dead in one week? The US hasn't seen anything like that since world war 2.

Thing is the Iranian boats could easily be disguised as fishing boats, and other normal looking boats. In the narrow straight they could get very close before being recognized. Hell even marked Iranian gunships managed to get within a few hundred yards of US boats without being shot at. This is probably the Iranians trying to get the US ships used to them being that close, so when they need they can take advantage of it

The strait of Hormuz is gonna be a big bottleneck indeed

I wonder what kind off protection they have in place at this moment when sailing through it

The strait of Hormuz is gonna be a big bottleneck indeed

I wonder what kind off protection they have in place at this moment when sailing through it

All entrances to the strait pass through Iranian waters. Exists through Omanian waters. The only defense the have is the fact that Iran has allowed boats to pass through, and promises it won't attack them. Most US defense are rendered ineffective, due the very very short response time they'd have caused by being, in such a small space and against such attacks as mentioned above, they just are designed for it.

The fact is if war breaks out the US cannot fight in the strait, they're losses would be far far too high, they'd have to pull out to a stand off distances.

A good article on the subject. http://www.globalresearch.ca/PrintArticle.php?articleId=28516

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

All entrances to the strait pass through Iranian waters. Exists through Omanian waters. The only defense the have is the fact that Iran has allowed boats to pass through, and promises it won't attack them. Most US defense are rendered ineffective, due the very very short response time they'd have caused by being, in such a small space and against such attacks as mentioned above, they just are designed for it.

The fact is if war breaks out the US cannot fight in the strait, they're losses would be far far too high, they'd have to pull out to a stand off distances.

A good article on the subject. http://www.globalresearch.ca/PrintArticle.php?articleId=28516

The guy who wrote that article is an absolute loony sociology student from Canada, he went to Libya and was holed up in the Rixos.

The main asset Iran has are these
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-ship_missiles_of_Iran

Iran wouldn't have much or any success against aircraft carriers, etc - it would most likely just attack assets, softer targets in the region.

I'm not too up on it recently though, maybe check on the military forum.

how about instead of dismissing the guy as a 'Loony' you explain to us where he's wrong in his argument???

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    how about instead of dismissing the guy as a 'Loony' you explain to us where he's wrong in his argument???

What is his argument? Its mainly just a factual piece.

I am just pointing out he is a loony and a sociology student, not in any way shape or form an authority on the subject. If someone comes in here with an article by Bill O'Reilly not knowing who he is - it would be normal for someone to point out that its Bill O Reilly who has a strong view/agenda to say the least.

The website.. well I have had many dealings with it in the past, its a popular choice on here due to the selective kind of blogs/opinion pieces and articles it runs.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    The guy who wrote that article is an absolute loony sociology student from Canada, he went to Libya and was holed up in the Rixos.

The main asset Iran has are these
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-ship_missiles_of_Iran

Iran wouldn't have much or any success against aircraft carriers, etc - it would most likely just attack assets, softer targets in the region.

If any aircraft carrier remains in the Strait, or the Persian gulf during open warfare, Iran has the capability to sink it. These large carrier are extremely vulnerable in such a small body of water, they are what the battleships were in the 20th century, obsolete in any kind of real conflict.

As I have mentioned before, if anyone can point out to me what defense an aircraft carrier has against 50 small boats armed with anti-missiles, 12 MIRV cruise missiles, explosive packed drones, and midget submarines armed with the latest torpedoes straight from China and Russia, all attacking in the space of 15 minutes.

The answer is, their is no counter. The ONLY question is whether Iran is capable of coordinating and keeping secret such an attack.

If any aircraft carrier remains in the Strait, or the Persian gulf during open warfare, Iran has the capability to sink it. These large carrier are extremely vulnerable in such a small body of water, they are what the battleships were in the 20th century, obsolete in any kind of real conflict.

As I have mentioned before, if anyone can point out to me what defense an aircraft carrier has against 50 small boats armed with anti-missiles, 12 MIRV cruise missiles, explosive packed drones, and midget submarines armed with the latest torpedoes straight from China and Russia, all attacking in the space of 15 minutes.

The answer is, their is no counter. The ONLY question is whether Iran is capable of coordinating and keeping secret such an attack.

I'm curious about this myself, I'm going to try a post in the military forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Given that Israel is within striking distance things could get ugy very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Surely the Carrier isn't there by itself, the U.S. will have other vessels operating in the area directly targeting subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wow you make it seem like it should be pretty easy to sink a carrier....so how many have been in sunk in say the last 50 years??

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Wow you make it seem like it should be pretty easy to sink a carrier....so how many have been in sunk in say the last 50 years??

The difference being this time they may be in a body of water no more than 50KM wide, instead of 200-300 miles of the coast of a country, of course they always do have the option of moving that far out, which would probably be the best solution to the above threats, but it also has it's obvious disadvantages too. I suppose it depends on how confident the US is feeling.

Surely the Carrier isn't there by itself, the U.S. will have other vessels operating in the area directly targeting subs.

Yes thats true, but again, subs aren't the only factor are indeed the main factor.

That is not a likely scenario i think ... at least not executred by those diesel subs Iran has imo ... or am i missing something here

Well the Iranian's would beg to differ, and if they do allow any USS ships back into the Gulf, how do they get out?, they are sitting ducks, although I can't see the US going back in any time soon, but you never know.
    Iranian Submarines Can Hunt Down US Aircraft Carriers Any Moment
    TEHRAN (FNA)- Senior Iranian military officials said the country's subsurface vessels can ambush and destroy enemy vessels specially US aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf.
    http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=9010171935

Iran has 26 subs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_Iranian_Navy_Vessels#Submarines

3 Kilo class, which can carry some nasty missiles and torpedo's.
    The boats are mainly intended for anti-shipping and anti-submarine operations in relatively shallow waters. Original Project 877 boats are equipped with Rubikon MGK-400 sonar system (with NATO reporting name Shark Gill), which includes a mine detection and avoidance sonar MG-519 Arfa (with NATO reporting name Mouse Roar). Newer Project 636 boats are equipped with improved MGK-400EM, with MG-519 Afra also upgraded to MG-519EM. The improved sonar systems have reduced the number of operators needed by sharing the same console via automation.
    Anechoic tiles are fitted on casings and fins to absorb the sonar sound waves of active sonar, which results in a reduction and distortion of the return signal.[2] These tiles also help attenuate sounds that are emitted from the submarine, thus reducing the range by which the sub may be detected by passive sonar.

Air defence: 8 SA-N-8 Gremlin or SA-N-10 Gimlet[30] Surface-to-air missiles (export submarines may not be equipped with air defense weapons)
    Six 533 mm torpedo tubes with 18 53-65 ASuW or TEST 71/76 ASW torpedoes or VA-111 Shkval supercavitating "underwater missiles", or 24 DM-1 mines,
    Club S anti-ship missiles (only on some export versions)

A few decent hits with missiles and torpedo's would sink any ship and whatever is on them,planes etc, then they have successfully tested land to sea, sea to sea, it certainly won't be a walk in the park for any US ships in the area if it does kick off and nomatter how big and bad they are they are useless lying on the sea bed.

Jonny7 wrote: »

Yes that's a good idea, and dont expect too accurate a picture over there either, Afghanistan and Iraq should have been finished long ago according to the experts.

Don't the Iranians also have their own shkvall torpedoes that the Russians helped them develop. Those things should take out a carrier fairly easily

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Don't the Iranians also have their own shkvall torpedoes that the Russians helped them develop. Those things should take out a carrier fairly easily

Yes and they produce their own also,called "Hoot", reverse engineered from VA-111 Shkval.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoot_(missile)

The club S are bad boys too, Iran I believe have also made their own version also.

The Sunburn - Iran's Awesome Nuclear Anti-Ship Missile
    The Weapon That Could Defeat The US In The Gulf

http://www.rense.com/general59/theSunburniransawesome.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-N-22

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »

Here's one.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_could_you_sink_an_aircraft_carrier

How could you sink an aircraft carrier?

As one USN torpedo pilot stated, "if you wanna fill the ship with air, you bomb it; if you wanna fill it with water...you torpedo it!"

CHINA PROGRAM TOUTS ITS ABILITY TO SINK US AIRCRAFT CARRIERS
    http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/03/china-testing-ballistic-missile-carrier-killer/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+(Wired%3A+Index+3+(Top+Stories+2))

Kind of a trick question wasn't it, well heres a few sunk a little longer than 50 years ago, but you know weapons have come a long way since then.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sunken_aircraft_carriers

Advertisement