Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

philologos wrote: »
    Everyone including me actually! It's not very difficult to show that everyone has done what is wrong on numerous occasions. It's also not very difficult to show that mankind as a whole is fallen. All that takes is a quick read through today's newspaper or the newspaper on any other day. As I've said already hell shouldn't be an option for anyone in comparison to restoring the broken relationship that we have with God.

But yeah, I'm merely saying that what I've described is the model that I find most appropriate for discussing whether or not God exists. That's what I find most reasonable and I'm quite entitled to say why that is so.

As far as I'm concerned atheists and theists both deviate from defacto agnosticism and as a result should both be willing to argue as to why they take these positions.

You're missing the point. I'm not asking you to prove people aren't perfect. That's quite easy as all you have to do is define the bar of perfection at an unrealistic level. I'm asking you to demonstrate likely reasons for why you believe these crimes are punishable by fire and brimstone.
    Also, it's easy to pick out flaws of people who live long enough to commit one, but what about those who don't live long to commit one? Are those people judged on the basis that they were going to commit a future crime anyways, or are they deemed innocent? To put it bluntly are babies innocent or guilty? Are all babies born innocent or guilty?

You're entitled to say whatever the heck you like, but ultimately it is you, who has deemed me guilty of a crime I believe I didn't commit. Why do I, and other, have to prove my innocence? I shudder to think what would happen if we applied your model to the current judicial system. Guilty until proven innocent.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Malty_T wrote: »
    You're missing the point. I'm not asking you to prove people aren't perfect. That's quite easy as all you have to do is define the bar of perfection at an unrealistic level. I'm asking you to demonstrate likely reasons for why you believe these crimes are punishable by fire and brimstone.
    Also, it's easy to pick out flaws of people who live long enough to commit one, but what about those who don't live long to commit one? Are those people judged on the basis that they were going to commit a future crime anyways, or are they deemed innocent? To put it bluntly are babies innocent or guilty?

It's not the most difficult really. In Christian thinking God has created the world and has given us standards to live by. All mankind has failed to reach them and as a result are liable to punishment. As a result Jesus Christ came, lived, was crucified and was Resurrected to pay in full the price of the sin that we committed against our Creator which He has the right to punish. By Christ paying our sins the penalty that we would have had to take is taken from us so that our relationship with God is restored. If we reject this offer of salvation at judgement we will be still liable for the full weight of the sins we have committed because we haven't accepted Christ's salvation on the cross in which He took our place and paid the price we deserved to pay.

It's not about anyone being punished specifically for being an atheist, it is about the punishment that we all deserve. God has given us a second chance, the question is are we willing to take it?

I don't think newborn children have sinned against God. I believe that God is a just and righteous judge. Although I do believe that mankind due to the freedom of the will is inclined towards evil.
    Malty_T wrote: »
    You're entitled to say whatever the heck you like, but ultimately it is you, who has deemed me guilty of a crime I believe I didn't commit. Why do I, and otheres, have to prove my innocence? I shudder to think what would happen if we applied your model to the current judicial system. Guilty until proven innocent.:rolleyes:

I don't deem you guilty at all and I won't at the end of time.

I've claimed that I like all people am guilty of violating God's standards. As a result of this I deserve to be punished by God for not living as He has commanded. God has given us a second chance, I've decided to take it and I've decided to ask Him to take an active role in my life to bring me each day step by step more and more in line with His truth. I screw up, we all do, the question is are we going to ask God to help us along the way or are we going to reject Him.

There's nothing about guilty until proven innocent. We are proven (in a judicial sense) guilty in so far as we've broken God's commandments as I see it. He's the one person we can't hide anything from.

Everyone including me actually! It's not very difficult to show that everyone has done what is wrong on numerous occasions. It's also not very difficult to show that mankind as a whole is fallen. All that takes is a quick read through today's newspaper or the newspaper on any other day. As I've said already hell shouldn't be an option for anyone in comparison to restoring the broken relationship that we have with God.

How can you show that we're fallen when you have no reference point to contrast our fallen state with?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

There's nothing about guilty until proven innocent. We are proven guilty in so far as we've broken God's commandments as I see it.

Blah. God creates us to forgive us for sins and temptations he created as long as we live up to standards he sets knowing we won't achieve them. Should we not reach said standards he punishes us for eternity. What a pr*ck.

We can dance around this point forever but it ultimately comes down to that.

G'night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Asry wrote: »
    I have indeed. The conflicting commandments in Leviticus were deemed null and void by something called the New Covenant. I'll post a link here rather than going into it because it's been hashed out on the Christianity forum already. Leviticus is not the only place in the bible that refers to homosexuality - yes it cites men having relations with men explicitly, but there are other passages which just reference homosexual sex specifically.

It does not. Nowhere does jesus mention homosexuality in the new testament. there are passages that talk vaguely about un natural stuff but do not mention girl on girl.

the only reference that has come out of it has been due to a fairly recent obsession by the RCC church with homosexuality.

Its bullshít. and nasty bullshít at that, a horrible vile philosphy that has leads people to believe that they are 'un natural' contrary to all evidence and logic. based on what, vague words in greek from men who followed jesus, not the man himself. most references are to do with "arsenokoitai" which varies in interpretation. it is certainly not explicitly homosexual and even less so pertaining to women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Seachmall wrote: »
    Blah. God creates us to forgive and reward us for sins and temptations he created as long as we live up to standards he sets knowing we won't achieve them. What a pr*ck.

We can dance around this point forever but it ultimately comes down to that.

G'night.

Not to mention the way its not clear which set of standards we're supposed to follow in the first place.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

iamstop wrote: »
    Atheist movement? Lol.
    Yeah. A big Atheist movement in Europe at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Everyone including me actually! It's not very difficult to show that everyone has done what is wrong on numerous occasions. It's also not very difficult to show that mankind as a whole is fallen. All that takes is a quick read through today's newspaper or the newspaper on any other day.

It's worrying that you'd (presumably) feel comfortable getting down on your knees and worshipping a being that has apparently created us sick and commanded us to be better.

And it doesn't take more than a quick read through the newspapers to point out how incompetent this being must be if he/it created such a naturally violent planet for us to live on. Volcanoes, tsunamis, hurricanes. He really couldn't do any better huh? If this is the best he could do then I'm really not all that impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

It's not the most difficult really. In Christian thinking God has created the world and has given us standards to live by. All mankind has failed to reach them and as a result are liable to punishment1. As a result Jesus Christ came, lived, was crucified and was Resurrected to pay in full the price of the sin that we committed against our Creator which He has the right to punish2. By Christ paying our sins the penalty that we would have had to take is taken from us so that our relationship with God is restored. If we reject this offer of salvation at judgement we will be still liable for the full weight of the sins we have committed because we haven't accepted Christ's salvation on the cross in which He took our place and paid the price we deserved to pay3.

It's not about anyone being punished specifically for being an atheist, it is about the punishment that we all deserve4. God has given us a second chance, the question is are we willing to take it?

I don't think newborn children have sinned against God. I believe that God is a just and righteous judge. Although I do believe that mankind due to the freedom of the will is inclined towards evil.

I don't deem you guilty at all and I won't at the end of time.

I've claimed that I like all people am guilty of violating God's standards. As a result of this I deserve to be punished by God for not living as He has commanded. God has given us a second chance, I've decided to take it and I've decided to ask Him to take an active role in my life to bring me each day step by step more and more in line with His truth. I screw up, we all do, the question is are we going to ask God to help us along the way or are we going to reject Him.

There's nothing about guilty until proven innocent. We are proven (in a judicial sense) guilty in so far as we've broken God's commandments as I see it5. He's the one person we can't hide anything from.

OK, assuming I bought into all this crap, (which I don't), then;
    1. Why? No-one's ever explained to me why we're liable for punishment. I'd also suggest the punishment for not keeping the sabbath (for instance, and probably the only commandment I'm actually guilty of) rather outstrips the crime. God certainly doesn't seem to have much of a sense of proportion.

2. Why? Basically he gives himself the right. Stacked deck, unimpartial judge, we're kinda of screwed before we start aren't we?

3. Says who? I don't think I have any "crimes" I need to be judged for.

4. Speak for yourself.

5. Wow. I don't keep the sabbath and I often take the Lord's name in vain. Big feckin whoop. Guilty as charged your honour, throw me in the pit. And you can't see how ludicrous this is as a concept?

Frankly, even if God existed, he's so screwed up he wouldn't be worthy of our worship anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

dpe wrote: »
    Frankly, even if God existed, he's so screwed up he wouldn't be worthy of our worship anyway.

Amen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Yeah. A big Atheist movement in Europe at the moment.

To me a movement involves organizing. I mentioned earlier that I am an atheist but never once have I been to a meeting or rally about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tjones64

poop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

iamstop wrote: »
    To me a movement involves organizing. I mentioned earlier that I am an atheist but never once have I been to a meeting or rally about it.
    Really? There is plenty of events and such in regards to Atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There would probably be a lot less hassle and misery in this world if people began to grasp that all those stories about deities and sky fairies and hobgoblins in the clouds and angels on pinheads are the purest rubbish. I suppose they began long ago when our ancestors reached a certain level of consciousness and became capable of abstract thought. At some stage they must have begun wondering about things beyond their immediate experience. Probably the first science was when they looked at the stars, noticed that some of them moved, and wondered what they were. As Nietzsche pointed out, they wanted to escape their misery, but the stars were too far away for them.:rolleyes:

This early thinking eventually led to more complex formulations, which were eventually seized on and further developed by the manipulators and exploiters, who now had what proved to be a powerful means of control.:mad:

And that is what it largely still is. Those who pull the religious strings and hit the right chords in the fearful and gullible are really only playing the fools like a cheap guitar and enjoying the power and material benefits that it brings them.

"My brother's a brave missionary,
    A saving young women from sin,
    He'll save you a blonde for a shilling,
    My God how the money rolls in."

http://www.harmonieii.co.uk/caving/they%20words/rolls.html

All that most atheists do is snort in disbelief at the guff that the god-botherers and guilt-instillers constantly spout. How can that be described as going too far? Most atheists would indeed like to go far, very far, very far indeed if only they could - to somewhere that they will never again have the religious drug-pushers in their face. But for now the stars are too remote for us as well.

OK, assuming I bought into all this crap, (which I don't), then;
    1. Why? No-one's ever explained to me why we're liable for punishment. I'd also suggest the punishment for not keeping the sabbath (for instance, and probably the only commandment I'm actually guilty of) rather outstrips the crime. God certainly doesn't seem to have much of a sense of proportion.

We've broken God's standard therefore He has the full right to punish us as we live in His creation. Just as much as the judge has the right to sentence you for crime.

I'm seriously doubting that not keeping the Sabbath is the only commandment you've broken (The Ten Commandments aren't the only standards which God has set us - Try looking at the Sermon of the Mount in Matthew 5 or Romans 1). So you've never lied? Stolen? Lusted after another? Coveted someone else's wife? Coveted your neighbours possessions? Hated someone in your heart? Were angry without good cause? Dishonoured your mother and father? God's standards are extensive and reach into every area of our lives. Even on the basis of these alone I can doubt what you're saying is true.

If these (and more) are the standards that God has set me, I've broken a lot of them. And if these are the standards that God is going to judge me by breaking them I deserve to be punished. That was one of the first recognitions I made in becoming a Christian and thats one of the key points where it began to make sense to me.
    2. Why? Basically he gives himself the right. Stacked deck, unimpartial judge, we're kinda of screwed before we start aren't we?

The universe is His. I don't see how God is "unimpartial". He is only judging based on his standards. He has also given us a second chance through Christ because he doesn't want us to bear the punishment but to be transformed by Him and live for Him.

The one possibility that nobody is willing to really consider, but we can accept this and start living the lives we were called to live from the beginning. For me that's hugely exciting, it's like coming home.
    3. Says who? I don't think I have any "crimes" I need to be judged for.

I doubt you're sinless. Indeed I'm led to believe that one who claims such is a liar.
    4. Speak for yourself.

I could but I believe this is objectively rather than subjectively true.
    5. Wow. I don't keep the sabbath and I often take the Lord's name in vain. Big feckin whoop. Guilty as charged your honour, throw me in the pit. And you can't see how ludicrous this is as a concept?

I don't think it's ludicrous because I don't think you're telling the truth. See the first paragraph.

You're fully entitled to think that. You think I'm mistaken and I think you're mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

philologos you can only call someone a sinner if they believe in your god's commandments. Most of us don't, therefore we're not sinners. And it's not his universe, that's just what you choose to believe.

This is the problem with religious fundamentalists, you look at everyone through your beliefs and judge them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Well its bloody handy that he doesn't exist then. Oh and by the way:

So you've never lied? Yes, and without lying we'd have social breakdown in about five minutes. So "God" is clearly an idiot. Stolen? No. Lusted after another? What? There'd be no human race without that one. Coveted someone else's wife? No. Coveted your neighbours possessions? No. Hated someone in your heart? No. But I'm beginning to hate you. Were angry without good cause? Not really. "Good cause" is a subjective assessment. Dishonoured your mother and father? No.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah the whole thing does get stuck at "I have power over everything and I know what's going to happen in the future so I'll design something to be flawed then punish it for being flawed"

steve06 wrote: »
    philologos you can only call someone a sinner if they believe in your god's commandments. Most of us don't, therefore we're not sinners. And it's not his universe, that's just what you choose to believe.

It's not about calling anyone a sinner. It's about acknowledging that everyone has done what is wrong. That's pretty rudimentary as I see it. As I've said already numerous times on this thread this is as true for me (I.E I'm as much a sinner as anyone on the face of the earth) as it is for anyone else.
    This is the problem with religious fundamentalists, you look at everyone through your beliefs and judge them for it.

I believe God is real. That's why I see the universe as a universe created by God. You don't. Each position has different consequences on our thought. If God is real it would be patently immoral of me not to tell you of what God has done for you.

It's not about calling anyone a sinner. It's about acknowledging that everyone has done what is wrong.
    That is complete BS... People have only done wrong according to the laws of your god. Not ours!
    If God is real it would be patently immoral of me not to tell you of what God has done for you.
    Where do you get off thinking you have the right to preach to anyone else about your beliefs as if they're fact? The arrogance is unbelievable. Your make believe god has done nothing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Where do you get off thinking you have the right to preach to anyone else about your beliefs as if they're fact? The arrogance is unbelievable. Your make believe god has done nothing for me.

He does have a point, however much we might disagree

IF his god is real he would really be obligated to tell us

bluewolf wrote: »
    IF his god is real he would really be obligated to tell us

Well then f*ck it, I might as well start telling kids that Thor is real and if they don't worship them they'll be struck by lightning. There's as much to back up that theory as there is to the theory of god.

Actually there's probably more of a chance of him being real because people actually do get struck by lightning.

Well then f*ck it, I might as well start telling kids that Thor is real and if they don't worship them they'll be struck by lightning. There's as much to back up that theory as there is to the theory of god.

Actually there's probably more of a chance of him being real because people actually do get struck by lightning.

He started his sentence with an "if", so your ire is a little misplaced

He started his sentence with an "if", so your ire is a little misplaced
    Well then, IF god isn't real, all he's doing is installing fear for no reason. That's a form of terrorism and mental abuse.

Well then, IF god isn't real, all he's doing is installing fear for no reason. That's a form of terrorism and mental abuse.

I don't think the conspiracy theory people are guilty of terrorism or mental abuse

I don't think the conspiracy theory people are guilty of terrorism or mental abuse
    That's ok, cos I don't believe the conspiracy theory about hell.

How? I'm suggesting to you that there is no need to be afraid. That's why the Gospel is good news in that God has forgiven us if we are willing to simply accept it.

For me it is a very positive association and I'm thankful to God as a result. Others mightn't be but that is your choice.

That's ok, cos I don't believe the conspiracy theory about hell.

Okay good, so it's not terrorism or mental abuse and we can move on from the dramatics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

God has forgiven us if we are willing to simply accept it.
    Why has he forgiven me? What have I done?

Jesus didn't die for my sins, I wasn't even born. Don't lump me in with people 2000 years my senior who I never met.

• Advertisement

That's why the Gospel is good news in that God has forgiven us if we are willing to simply accept it.

Well that's cool. I'll just live my life how I want to then and when I die, if god exists then I'll accept him and be forgiven. Until then, I couldn't care less about religion and don't want to hear about it and I'll 'sin' as much as I want.
    Okay good, so it's not terrorism or mental abuse and we can move on from the dramatics
    It is when you're drilling into the minds of children who know no better.

Advertisement