Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV License and Sky

Options
  • 12-05-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this

Say in a theoretical situation that someone hadn't paid their tv license, and they've not been bothered for years by the inspector... If that person signed up for sky or chorus/upc whatever,(They only had terrestrial rte till now) would they be then more likely to get a visit from the inspector - do they have the power to check a list of recently signed up people or anything like that?

Just for arguments sake ya know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Licence Inspectors visit all new estates and they also visit houses on their database that previously had a licence but do not have a current licence.

(BTW it is very hard to persuade a TV licence inspector that you don't have a TV when he/she can see the dish on the side of your house :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The cable/sat companies do not supply An Post with any such information. An Post and the inspectors, who administer the TV licence, work it out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

Fair enough, know a few lads who thought it a bit coincidental that a couple weeks after getting sky in they got the knock on the door. Might well have just been coincidence.

Tis upc I'd be looking at anyway so no dish. Sure might take me chances.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My understanding is that the Inspector is given an area to check so for example:

If he is checking "New Street", first he will look at the records for that street. He might find that 1,2,3, 7,8 have licences but there are no records for 4, 5, 6, 9 & 10. Normally what happens in this case is the Licence Department write to those with no licence to warn them that there is no record of a renewal, they generally send two warning letters before a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

tricky D wrote: »
    The cable/sat companies do not supply An Post with any such information. An Post and the inspectors, who administer the TV licence, work it out for themselves.

Years ago when I moved out of my parents house I didn't have a tv or a tv licence. My parents gave me the tv from their bedroom to get me by, which lasted a good many years. Anyway when the tv broke my other half went and got a tv interest free from the ESB and would you believe it three months later the TV licence man came knocking at my door. Strange coincidence I'd say.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Just for arguments sake ya know. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭pooch90

MrsD007 wrote: »
    My understanding is that the Inspector is given an area to check so for example:

If he is checking "New Street", first he will look at the records for that street. He might find that 1,2,3, 7,8 have licences but there are no records for 4, 5, 6, 9 & 10. Normally what happens in this case is the Licence Department write to those with no licence to warn them that there is no record of a renewal, they generally send two warning letters before a visit.

I had an inspector land on my door 2 days after moving into a new house. No letters, no nothing they just arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

Well we'll see what happens. I've put through the order for upc so if I get a knock on the door soon I'd be very suss. I'm living there nearly 3 years and never got a letter or a visit from the inspector. Will keep ya posted if it happens.

I mean in theory I have ordered upc and uh for arguments sake someone somewhere had never gotten a letter - i mean a friend of mine has never..ah forget i aint kiddin no one am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

An post chase the licence and upc/sky "post" your bill to you ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I remember signing up for Chorus after moving house, and got the licence begging letter 2 days later.

Could, of course, have been a coincidence.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

When i worked in Aldi we had to get the customer to fill out a form with name address and such before we sold the TV.. Presume it was something to do with this.. Never seen it anywhere else..

Just moved into a house myself.. has been empty for past 4 years.. Wonder when they will call around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 djdrobins

If you have never gotten a bill from them - don't worry. It is their fault they didn't inform you where or how you can get one. Until they come to the door -you didn't have a TV. But when they call say you just got it yesterday and will be getting one soon - oh but when they have you on their list - you are on it for life. The reminder becomes automatic, and you can be guaranteed that they know who has and hasn't got a license.

I have never heard of anyone who actually has a license (me included) getting a knock at the door from an inspector. (NEVER).

But in my opinion - i think if all i am watching is SKY Provided programs because i find all the Irish ones rubbish - i feel i should not have to pay RTE nearly 200 euro for Kenny & Tubertys wages!
    And before people start - i would be ok with sky adding a few quid to the sky bill and let them pay RTE for the programs they buy from RTE rather then RTE getting double moneys - from my license and from SKY (which in turn is passed on to me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

deelite wrote: »
    Years ago when I moved out of my parents house I didn't have a tv or a tv licence. My parents gave me the tv from their bedroom to get me by, which lasted a good many years. Anyway when the tv broke my other half went and got a tv interest free from the ESB and would you believe it three months later the TV licence man came knocking at my door. Strange coincidence I'd say.....:rolleyes:

Retailers have to report the names and addresses of people they sell TVs to as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

ElNino wrote: »
    Retailers have to report the names and addresses of people they sell TVs to as far as I know.
    Used to be the case a good while ago

Good ole wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland
    Collection and evasion

An Post is responsible for collection of the licence fee and commencement of prosecution proceedings in cases of non-payment. Licences can be purchased and renewed at post offices (in person or by post), or by using a credit card or debit card via a call centre or via the internet.[1] An Post receives commission to cover the cost of its collection service. As of 2004, An Post had signalled its intention to withdraw from the business.[2]

An Post maintains a database of addresses and uses this to inspect suspected cases of non-payment. Television dealers are required to supply details of people buying or renting televisions; this is no longer enforced as details supplied were unreliable.[3] There is no obligation on cable and satellite providers to supply details of subscribers.[4]

Inspectors, who are An Post employees, visit the premises to verify if TV receiving equipment is present. If speedy payment of the licence is not made following an inspection, court proceedings are commenced by An Post.[5] In 2002, the rate of licence-fee evasion was estimated at 12%.[6] In the Dublin region in that year, approximately 21% of detected evaders were summonsed for prosecution (6,000 cases);[7] approximately one third of these cases resulted in fines, averaging €174.[8] Only 4% of fined evaders followed up three months later had purchased a licence.[9]

Advertisement