Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

water usage

Options
  • 28-09-2014 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Mods pls move if in wrong area.

Thought I'd set up a thread on water usage.
    My household has 2 adults.4 kids.1 dog.1 cat. So lots of washing clothes.drinks.showers. cooking etc.
    Took a Meter reading there and over the last week I've used 2750 litres of water according to the Meter. Is this good,bad or average.
    Don't forget to post your usage and house details for comparison

Comments

Just me. I use a laundrette. 50 litres a week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thats very low indeed.

1 week = 2750, 11k a month = 132k a year
    allowance of 114k so paying for 18k * euro4.88
    Equals a yearly bill of euro88.

But it does seem very low though.
    most people would use 150 litres a day.
    do you rain harvest ??

K

2.75 ton of water a week is very low? :confused:
    I'd be afraid to see what you'd consider high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

karltimber wrote: »
    Thats very low indeed.

1 week = 2750, 11k a month = 132k a year
    allowance of 114k so paying for 18k * euro4.88
    Equals a yearly bill of euro88.

But it does seem very low though.
    most people would use 150 litres a day.
    do you rain harvest ??

K

no dont harvest so cant explain usage. i wont complain though if my bill is only e88:pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

2.75 ton of water a week is very low? :confused:
    I'd be afraid to see what you'd consider high.

I suppose it's not that low really.
    My house 2+3 use 12k a month. It all depends on the age of the children, young or teens (for use of showers etc) and the over-all attitude to water in a household.

so euro88 a year water charges is not that bad really.
    some folks will get a nice surprise when they get the first bill.
    I know it's capped but I wonder will they give an estimated "you would have paid" figure.

K

• Advertisement

It's a thing easily taken for granted like energy and many other modern conveniences. If people were to carry it or generate it themselves it'd be a different story. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I took a reading on the 28/9/14 and it was 107,840
    And today 22/10/14 and it was 111.96

I have a 3 bed terrace with my partner and myself, 1 baby and 10 year old

Not quite the month over yet but I am up to a little over 4000 liters this month. Bering in mind a few of these days were pre charging date and used heavily before 1/10/14 ..

So I am guessing I will use 6000 liters this month, which will bring me on target with yearly allowance for 2 adults and 2 kids.

The whole family are being careful to save water. I have a 25L bucket beside the toilet that contains the baby's bath water. I use this to flush the jacks for myself. The dishwasher only uses 9L in economy mode (which was never used in this setting before the metering date) . Less toilet flushing and and 4-5 mins showers so on has made a big difference on the heating bill also.

Water saving shower head that uses 6L per min was also purchased .

So if the idea was to conserve. It works. We can get by fine with little or no bill. I will continue to monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

Average use in USA is between 210 and 250 litres per person per day
    EU is about 180 litres per person per day
    Ireland is about 120 per person per day.
    So for a family of four for 7 days that works out at 3360 litres.
    So to use 2750 per week is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

Uk uses between 110-150 liters per day per person on average depending on where you find the info.

The 150 figure would equate for 2 people to cost 388euro assuming you avail of the so called free allowance that will be abolished in 2 years time when subvention ends

Advertisement