Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people troll?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

If trolling = wumming, does troll = wumm?

Calling somebody a wumm seems like childish name-callinging
    "Don't mind him - he's just a wumm"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Leftist wrote: »
    wumming is the uk/irish term.

Trolling in the internet sense is an americanism, came from america, ergo an americanism. Oh but it was used to describe goat herding in france in the 15th century. Arsed, Didn't have chat zones back then.

Where did wumming come from? I've been on the internet for decades and never heard it before.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I know a guy who own's Monaco and let's me run it on weekends because he trusts me so much and I fixed his Xbox once for him.

And he even gives you access to any of the planes on the tarmac at the nearest large airport.

Which is Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rwood

I can understand someone genuinely holding, or thinking they hold, a controversial opinion, and then defending it to the death despite all the facts showing them that they're wrong.

What I don't get is deliberately winding people up by pretending to have a controversial opinion and then getting abusive and aggressive (and probably banned) to wind people up further.

I don't see how that'd be fun in real life, and especially don't see how it's fun online where you can't see people's reactions.
    What's the appeal?

Foreigners and single mothers and scumbags should all be shipped off to an island somewhere.
    The amazing thing about a democratic society is that people are free to voice their opinions and even if god forbid that those opinions are different from those that are held by somebody else does not make them wrong just different.
    Not everybody think the same as you and reporting them because they have the audacity to stand by what they believe is not very democratic or liberal.
    To me to report somebody because they don't back your point of view is small minded.
    As for trolling why post your opinions on a public forum unless you are willing to have somebody disagree with you. How are people meant to find threads that they wish to respond to unless they Troll through and find a post that is of interest to them or that they may be willing to add their six shillings to the discussion.
    If this is not what you are after I suggest you open private chats so that you can invite like minded people who share your view of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Where did wumming come from? I've been on the internet for decades and never heard it before.

Wind up merchant.
    Wuming sounds wrong, but arguably it's all wrong. So wrong.

To me trolling sounds like something a 15 year old american would do.

Wumming is a man's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Especially the nigerians , i hear they all get 2000 euro a month dole even before they get here , they caused the recession , abd stole all your lightbulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Rwood wrote: »
    The amazing thing about a democratic society is that people are free to voice their opinions and even if god forbid that those opinions are different from those that are held by somebody else does not make them wrong just different.
    Not everybody think the same as you and reporting them because they have the audacity to stand by what they believe is not very democratic or liberal.
    To me to report somebody because they don't back your point of view is small minded.
    As for trolling why post your opinions on a public forum unless you are willing to have somebody disagree with you. How are people meant to find threads that they wish to respond to unless they Troll through and find a post that is of interest to them or that they may be willing to add their six shillings to the discussion.
    If this is not what you are after I suggest you open private chats so that you can invite like minded people who share your view of the world.

I never said anything about reporting posts.

I also never said I had a problem with people disagreeing with me, or even trolling.
    Just that I don't understand trolling.

*thinks about bolded part of post* - http://i.qkme.me/2j8q.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Viruses would be created alot of times by people testing their own coding abilities. They set it free on the web to see how far it spreads and if it can bypass the bigger brands of anti-virus software.

As for trolling, some people are just arseholes. They remind me of people who feel the need to lie all the time to make themselves seem more interesting / funny.

Weren't Viruses originally created by Microsoft / Apple attacking each other's companies & it took off from there ? or so that's how the rumour goes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

wumming is the uk/irish term.

Trolling in the internet sense is an americanism, came from america, ergo an americanism. Oh but it was used to describe goat herding in france in the 15th century. Arsed, Didn't have chat zones back then.

Your understanding of etymology is extremely stilted.

But that largely goes hand in hand with your understanding of most things from what i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Weren't Viruses originally created by Microsoft / Apple attacking each other's companies & it took off from there ? or so that's how the rumour goes

Nah, some kid who was the son of the head of the NSA (I think it was) did a harmless virus that would go from PC to PC, check if it was already there, if it wasn't, it'd make a copy of itself, then move on to the next PC. He did it as an exercise, but didn't realise that he made a mistake in the program, and it didn't pay attention to whether there was a pre-existing copy of itself on the pc, and would just replicate.

Instant WORLDWIDE MELTDOWN.

Wait, that was worm, not virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I think that all the trolls are just scumbags on the dole with too much time on their hands. There are loads of jobs out there, they should get off their ass and get one. It's easy if you actually try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think that there are many shades of trolling - some good and some bad. Bullying or arguing with the whole forum for the sake of giving grief is definitely bad but funny trolling when done right can be quite entertaining.

I'd even go so far as to say that everyone should try some trolling as part of their internet education so that they can spot trolls later in life.

Start out in Paranormal and tell a story about creaking noises at night and maybe mention a dead relative and see how you get on. Start a thread in Conspiracy Theories about Lizard people from space. Go to LGBT and pretend to be a hardcore catholic.

After you've trolled everywhere (don't forget to post about the wonders of horse-radish sauce in Mustard) and when you think you've mastered trolling, visit PI and see how subtly you can recommend suicide as a viable option to some of the posters. When a decent numbers of posters mysteriously stop posting, then you can crown yourself "King of the Trolls".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

why do people insist on using americanisms like troll?

Just to clarify this.

The term 'Trolling' originates as a description of people from Nordic countries where they have a tendancy to have snub noses, big googly eyes and wild hair.

Also, they are generally very annoying in their opinions and mannerisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I think that all the trolls are just scumbags on the dole with too much time on their hands. There are loads of jobs out there, they should get off their ass and get one. It's easy if you actually try.

i like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

People troll to get a reaction from others unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on other posters,I would say most if not all of them say things that they wouldn't have the nerve or guts to say to ones face because it's the internet and, hey, they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I would call this trolling & just generalising and looking for a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The thing about saying dumb stuff, e.g. nobody should get the dole, and genuinely believing that's true is: the holder of such a view can never back it up with anything decent, and often gets stroppy and trolly when taken to task on it. Not much better than trolling IMO. If the holders of stupid views like the above were able to put forward decent, well-thought arguments to support them, then great - more power to them. But it rarely, if ever, happens.

Trolling with a bit of wit can be funny though - there are a few members here who did that when they joined, and made me lol, and they're still here, albeit more like regular users now.
    why do people insist on using americanisms like troll?
    It's a universal term for a particular internet phenomenon and it happened to originate in America?

Like lots of terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

realies wrote: »
    I would call this trolling & just generalising and looking for a reaction.

I would call it me being hilarious actually! :)

Nah, I honestly have no idea why people troll.
    It makes absolutely no sense.
    I don't mind the funny ones, but there are some right saddos out there that are really mean, or stalk posters, or just generally aggressive.
    There must be something seriously wrong with them.
    Maybe it's similar to the schoolyard bully?
    Who knows..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Viruses would be created alot of times by people testing their own coding abilities. They set it free on the web to see how far it spreads and if it can bypass the bigger brands of anti-virus software.
    That's how I tested my herpes treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

If they had more science faction stuff on TV, I'd definitely cut down on my trolling.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Stiffler2 wrote: »

Apparently, that accolade goes to a (then) kid who created the Elk Cloner virus on an Apple II machine by means of spreading it through a floppy disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

For teh lulz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They're probably small-minded neurotics with big chips on their shoulders, who have trouble communicating in the real world, and the only way they can get a hard on is by winding people up on the internet.

Most of them would disappear if internet access was removed from mental health facilities.
    ?? <-(Location...):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I suppose it's a combination of a lot of free time, low imagination & the anonymity of the 'net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's the over sensitive posters that take offense to trolls are the problem most of the time.

I just laugh at the trolls themselves. I don't know why anyone would get worked up over them, it's only the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I don't see how that'd be fun in real life, and especially don't see how it's fun online where you can't see people's reactions. What's the appeal?

Some people, weather its online or in the real world, just like to wind people up.
    Be it a thrill or just because they dont like a certain person.

But on here thats just as$holes hiding behind their keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I just think some people have a controversial view on every topic even if that opinion contradicts a previous opinion the poster had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Foreigners and single mothers and scumbags

Some people, like yourself, see trolling where it isn't, just because they strongly disagree with an opinion.

E.g, in the recent "Jogging/running isn't natural" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some are fun, some are boring. The ones who get no reaction and try even harder are hilarious..

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

The Art Of Trolling - According to Wikipedia

Advertisement