Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BUDGET 2012

• 15-11-2011 2:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

So AH's, give me your idea's of what you think we can all expect from Budget 2012. I expect but hope I'm wrong that the following will be increased :

Smokes - :(
    Alcohol - :( - > My 2 achilles heels :eek:

I'm also hearing rumours of a proposed Sugar Tax
    New Property Tax
    New Water Tax

Has anyone else heard of anything regarding the budget for 2012, any increases in anything else or any new taxes that aren't above ??

Has anyone heard of any leaks as last year the budget was leaked a few weeks early by someone.

Will Petrol be increased ? Will Income Tax be raised etc. etc..

x 22 votes

x
    0% 0 votes
    x
    59% 13 votes
    x
    40% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've heard leaks that there will be a water tax.

Let the bears pay the bear tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

I'm not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There should be cuts and tax increases across the board.. just not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

I've heard leaks that there will be a water tax.
    If the money collected goes on improving water infastructure and only that I approve. It's a scarse resource despite falling from the sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Stupidity tax for everyone who thinks 'Blast ... with piss' is a funny response to anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Expect pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

I for one will not be paying a property tax. I've already paid a large amount of stamp duty on my home so they can sing for their property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

talkinyite wrote: »
    I'm not paying.

The Keyboard Warrior Tax?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Stupidity tax for everyone who thinks 'Blast ... with piss' is a funny response to anything.

This comment.
    Your username.

The defense rests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    So AH's, give me your idea's of what you think we can all expect from Budget 2012. I expect but hope I'm wrong that the following will be increased :

Smokes - :(
    Alcohol - :( - > My 2 achilles heels :eek:

I'm also hearing rumours of a proposed Sugar Tax
    New Property Tax
    New Water Tax

Has anyone else heard of anything regarding the budget for 2012, any increases in anything else or any new taxes that aren't above ??

Has anyone heard of any leaks as last year the budget was leaked a few weeks early by someone.

Will Petrol be increased ? Will Income Tax be raised etc. etc..
    the dreaded carbon tax will increase which means, petrol diesel , home heating oil etc will all go up.

i expect that DIRT tax ill go up, thats tax on any interest you make on savings.

cant see them touching income tax or credits but as already said.

property tax. water tax, **** tax(ie tax on people's **** when it goes into a septic tank rather than a public sewage scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Yes I would also like to confirm that I have heard of a new Septic tank tax.

I would also love to stop paying the TV License & Property tax if it's comes in.

I can certainly tell you there will be no water metre on my house but that would only reallistically work if every Irish Citizen decided they weren't going to pay the property tax.

But I've gone off course here, Any other taxes from any1 ?

Expect a minimum set price for certain types of alcohol sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

mathie wrote: »
    The Keyboard Warrior Tax?

The water tax. I consider access to clean water a basic human right so they can go **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They should introduce a 1 cent tax on text messages. It'd raise over €60,000,000 per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Biggins wrote: »
    Expect a minimum set price for certain types of alcohol sales.

??

Do you mean that larger for example cant be sold below a certain price or cheaper in bulk.

Yes I would also like to confirm that I have heard of a new Septic tank tax.

I would also love to stop paying the TV License & Property tax if it's comes in.

I can certainly tell you there will be no water metre on my house but that would only reallistically work if every Irish Citizen decided they weren't going to pay the property tax.

But I've gone off course here, Any other taxes from any1 ?

I will not be allowing anyone access to my home to install a water meter either.

deisedave wrote: »
    ??

Do you mean that larger for example cant be sold below a certain price or cheaper in bulk.

Yes - and it looks like the bully's in VFI, etc are going to get away with it.

See:
    * http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-publicans-call-for-end-to-cut-price-booze-259238-Oct2011/

* http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-should-the-government-set-a-minimum-price-for-alcohol-188252-Jul2011/

* http://www.thejournal.ie/cheap-supermarket-alcohol-should-be-doubled-in-price-188225-Jul2011/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

deisedave wrote: »
    ??

That is correct as well. A new policy will be introduced so that Alcohol will have a set minumum price which means if an offo sells a can of beer for say 1 euro and the new policy say the minumum price is €1.50 then the offo will have to raise it's price to €1.50 instead. This also includes any "special offers" or bulk sales which is unfortunate.

You can probably blame the Vintners association / pub trade for that one.

talkinyite wrote: »
    The water tax. I consider access to clean water a basic human right so they can go **** themselves.

Try living in India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Ireland's like Springfield when they hosted the Radioactive Man movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Galtee wrote: »
    I will not be allowing anyone access to my home to install a water meter either.
    What they'll do is apply a flat-rate water charge for anyone without a water meter attached their home, and offer a tax rebate for the cost of fitting the water meter. Over the long-term, it will work out much more expensive to pay the flat-rate than use the meter.

It will also not be possible to sell or rent a property without a water meter fitted and properly calibrated/checked by the relevant authority in the previous 12 months.

Initial rumblings at the moment are that all of these property-related taxes will be consolidated in a single charge. So property tax, water tax, TV licence, sewage tax, etc etc. It will effectively be a "rate" that you pay for your use of public facilities in general, coupled with a property tax, meaning that most people pay around €500/year. But that won't be this year, and maybe not next year. It'll be introduced in the interests of "consolidating" taxes and making them less confusing, after introducing 3 or 4 separate property charges in the space of two years. It'll also be a fiver cheaper than the separate charges so people feel good about it.

This year we'll see a VAT rate increase. 22% maybe. And probably some increse in import duties. We can't spend our way out of a recession. We can only earn money from somewhere else, so they'll aim to lower any taxes which affect exporters and foreign investment.

Cigs will see 10c thrown on. Alcohol won't see an overall increase though it looks like this "minimum price" will get in :rolleyes:
    Don't know about fuel. Any increase in fuel makes exports more expensive.
    Although the government promised the dole would be untouched, they will leave it alone and cut a huge amount of other social payments.

That is correct as well. A new policy will be introduced so that Alcohol will have a set minumum price which means if an offo sells a can of beer for say 1 euro and the new policy say the minumum price is €1.50 then the offo will have to raise it's price to €1.50 instead. This also includes any "special offers" or bulk sales which is unfortunate.

Yep, the VFI didn't give a rats arse about social problems when they were raking the massive profits for themselves during the good times but now that everyone is feeling the strain, they are crying to the government about "How cheap booze is damaging to society" and something must be done!

...It also helps the VFI that apparently a good lot of TD's are publicans themselves!

* Long story short: expect some sort of minimum price set for alcohol sales.
    What better time to set it up - and the government has been doing the usual 'soften the blow' dropping of hints for the last while - than at budget time and under the PR cover of social responsibility.

Wouldn't it be funny if OP was actually Michael Noonan looking for ideas. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Galtee wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be funny if OP was actually Michael Noonan looking for ideas. :pac:

Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

so a minimum price for alcohol to stop supermarkets and off license selling cheap drink. Guarantee some arsehole publicans will throw 10-20c on the price of a pint......

df1985 wrote: »
    so a minimum price for alcohol to stop supermarkets and off license selling cheap drink. Guarantee some arsehole publicans will throw 10-20c on the price of a pint......

To be sure!
    Within months, if not weeks of once they get used to and comfortable with minimum prices being set in supermarkets.
    Not all but some will try it, if only to see could they get away with it at later times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Thank god my partner is from N. Ireland, If they try this I will never buy alcohol in this country again. Ill stock up the car every two months when we go up, alcohol is just about getting to a decent price in this country and they want it to become more expensive again.

funk that :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'm also hearing rumours of a proposed Sugar Tax.

Fat tax, sugar tax. what next.... broccolli tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

seamus wrote: »
    This year we'll see a VAT rate increase. 22% maybe. And probably some increse in import duties. We can't spend our way out of a recession. We can only earn money from somewhere else, so they'll aim to lower any taxes which affect exporters and foreign investment.

Import duties have nothing to do with the Irish government and are set by the European Commission and its highly unlikely there will be any change to these.

Advertisement