Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SEX question

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Men are more visual and think about the act itself. Why men's magazines contains of naked girls and lots of tits.

Women are more visceral and think about the things before/leading to the act such as flirting, foreplay etc. Which is why women's magazines and trashy novels have a lot of crap about "top 10 tips" and a lot of flirting, foreplay, dirty talk etc.

And from some of the girls I've come to known, they think about all that crap a lot more than men do. They might not think about sex and get horny as often. But they think about flirting with that guy and what he might be like to kiss or in bed etc. a lot of the time...

For men its more of ohh she's hot!, check out her legs, arse and tits... I better make a visit to the bathroom... And it over.

Actually to be honest, I think the differences in women and men's magazines is again based on the outward appearance women want to have. The magazines conform to this idea that women only want and need emotional connections and not simple physical ones. I think they evolved that way to suit what socially acceptable norms required. I'm female and I would love it if it was more acceptable for women to be gawking at nude magazines filled with sexy men! But if I were to own a magazine like that, like Playgirl, I'd be absolutely slaughtered by mates for it. Where as with my male mates; they are more than comfortable talking to each other about magazines like that and about women in that context.
    It's like all the fuss about the Hunky Dory's ad with the scantily clad women...people saying it objectifies and sexualises women. My ONLY complaint was that they hadn't brought out a men's version of that! If the guys get something to druel over, why the feck shouldn't us girls get the same?? And I think it's BECAUSE of this 'social expectation' crap that ads like that don't ever appear, except in joking terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

When I'm ovulating, I'm like a guy when it comes to preoccupation with sex.
    The rest of the time, it doesn't enter my head much at all - only really at night time when in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

it doesn't enter my head much at all - only really at night time when in bed.
    Pre sleep bj's ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

When I'm ovulating, I'm like a guy when it comes to preoccupation with sex.
    The rest of the time, it doesn't enter my head much at all - only really at night time when in bed.

so when you see a guy you dont check him out :confused:
    and do a quick mental checklist and with I would, I would not.. which lasts about a second or two

Saila wrote: »
    and do a quick mental checklist and with I would, I would not.. which lasts about a second or two

No.
    I don't tend to even notice what people look like.
    Like say if I was in a shop, and the guy at the till was ridiculously good looking - of course I'd notice.
    But if I was walking down the road and that same guy was walking along, I wouldn't even notice him.
    Compared to my husband who is clearly looking at every girls boobs and ass that is in his eye line (he probably thinks he's being subtle bless him!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Compared to my husband who is clearly looking at every girls boobs and ass that is in his eye line (he probably thinks he's being subtle bless him!)
    I used to be good at being subtle but then I just gave up and now she just laughs at me when I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

From my social circle Id reckon young guys (as in teens/early 20s) are the more sex obsessed, and as women get older they get hornier. It definately varies person to person aswell though, some of the girls I know are absolute nymphos and some of the guys I know would be the ones to stop things going further to stop ruining friendships etc whereas the girls are more into the act itself/f-buddies etc. Which would go against the general perception of males/females in society imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

smash wrote: »
    I used to be good at being subtle but then I just gave up and now she just laughs at me when I do it.

Ha! This is what I do. I love taking the piss out of my boyfriend, when he's checking out the ladies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

I think guys probably do think more about sex than girls. Men have higher testosterone levels, causing a higher sex drive, so that's some obvious biological evidence for you. Having said that, we're still anatomically very similar, so from that perpective, there's no reason to suggest that women shouldn't have a high sex drive. From an evolutionary point of view, surely its "useful" for women to want and enjoy having sex.

What people have said about guys feeling pressure to talk about sex, and girls perhaps feeling pressured to "keep it quiet" is actually very interesting. Despite leaps and bounds in equality, like it or not, a promiscuous women will often be deemed a slut. This attitude isn't nearly as commonly applied to men.

Its pretty common knowledge that any girl can get casual sex if she so wants it - from my experience anyway. Depending obviously on how physically attractive she is, she may or may not be able to pull the hottest guy in the room, but nonetheless, I think if a girl decided she wanted to bring a guy home that night, she'd find someone willing.
    On the other hand, it seems much harder for guys. Obviously the hot guys have girls lining up to sleep with them, but for a lot of men its just not like that.
    I think if the same proportion of women were up for casual sex as men, a lottt more people would go home together.

I'm not saying, of course, that girls don't have casual sex, or that a lot of us aren't up for casual sex. Its definitely hidden more though. As a girl, I'd only tell my "stories" to friends/family who I know won't judge. Some of my friends would never even dream of having a ONS, whereas for others its totally normal and something we'd basically have the banter over.

ALSO, someone mentioned that they knew men they suspected of being virgins at 30, yet no women. I don't find this surprising or indictive of anything tbh. I would guess that most guys who are virgins at 30 are shy guys who are no good with women. I'd imagine (in most cases at least) that its not because they have a low sex drive, but because they have social anxiety, are depressed or just aren't confident enough to even talk to women. Women, on the other hand, are far less likely to be virgins at a older age because if a women wants to even try sex, its not that difficult. Even a women who is shy or not the best looking could probabaly get someone to sleep with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

hondasam wrote: »
    I don't think about it I just do it.

Yeah, it's like taking a spoonful of cod liver oil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Sept thread? Someone searched 'Sex' tonight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Am I right in saying a lot of women loves life's drama, they thrive on it. Men less so, most us just want peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I believe us guys do.
    HOWEVER! that statement can imply women hardly think about sex. Which is not true. Women enjoy sex as much as men.

My opinion is that say a man thought about sex 25 times a day. A women would think about it 15-20 times.... or whatever. That sure men might think about it more. But not triple or even double the times as a women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

I wonder what's the percentage of men who have cheated on their wives? I've asked this a bit over the past few weeks and the %age is , ahem!!!!! HUGE. Almost everyone (friends) i've asked have all cheated. Age is from, 40's to 60's +. The older groups see no harm, the younger guys feel a bit of guilt, but do it pretty regularily I might add. Most of the women knew they were married and they were also married, mostly. What do ye think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i think it depends
    i'm pretty preoccupied with it a lot, so is my best friend
    others might not be
    44leto wrote:
    Am I right in saying a lot of women loves life's drama, they thrive on it.
    for me: no, no, a thousand times no

i have a feeling this is going to be yet another AH thread telling me i'm actually male

headmaster wrote: »
    I wonder what's the percentage of men who have cheated on their wives? I've asked this a bit over the past few weeks and the %age is , ahem!!!!! HUGE. Almost everyone (friends) i've asked have all cheated. Age is from, 40's to 60's +. The older groups see no harm, the younger guys feel a bit of guilt, but do it pretty regularily I might add. Most of the women knew they were married and they were also married, mostly. What do ye think?

I think this is not necessarily relevant to the thread.
    The reason for most infidelity is communication break down, among many others.
    Rarely just about sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think about it a lot and have a high sex drive, but definitely the sensation aspect, not the visual. I have no interest in looking at male centrefolds etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

headmaster wrote: »

Depends on why they are cheating, I would say women cheat as much if not more. It's just about sex sometimes.

I think this is not necessarily relevant to the thread.
    The reason for most infidelity is communication break down, among many others.
    Rarely just about sex.

You are joking,as a reason for an affair, a big maybe, but as a reason for a casual bit of unfaithfulness, noway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Nope, Almost any time I've thought "I would" is only after talking to them as I'm not paying attention to men in that way just walking around.
    I don't care what kind of body they have, I don't look for imperfections they're either nice or not and a lot of that is in the overall package i.e if they're nice looking but arrogant I am instantly not into that.

• Advertisement

44leto wrote: »
    You are joking,as a reason for an affair, a big maybe, but as a reason for a casual bit of unfaithfulness, noway.

Yes, I am joking - funny huh? :P

Well all the stats will tell you otherwise.
    It is about issues within the relationship - feeling rejected, feeling unloved, feeling misunderstood, feeling unappreciated and so on.
    Sex comes into it, but the majority of infidelity isn't just about sex.

saa wrote: »
    Nope, Almost any time I've thought "I would" is only after talking to them as I'm not paying attention to men in that way just walking around.
    I don't care what kind of body they have, I don't look for imperfections they're either nice or not and a lot of that is in the overall package i.e if they're nice looking but arrogant I am instantly not into that.

Yeah, I don't think it would ever occur to me to notice a guys body either, or any part of it - unless it was strange looking to me in some way.

It is about issues within the relationship - feeling rejected, feeling unloved, feeling misunderstood, feeling unappreciated and so on.

Life’s statistics make a mockery of our cultural dedication to monogamous relationships. Monogamy is expected by 95% of couples, yet a survey, by the Social and Economic Sciences Research Center at Washington State University, of sexually active Seattle residents aged 18-39 found 27% of men and 18% of women reported that during their most recent sexual relationship, they had had sex with at least one other partner. Is this shocking? If you’re a regular tabloid reader, probably not.

More astonishingly, in the 1990s, Robin Baker, then an evolutionary biologist at Manchester University, discovered that 8% of children are conceived when a woman has recently slept with another man. Another statistic reveals that 10% of children in Britain don’t belong to the men they’re supposed to. This, says Baker, “is normal behaviour for a mammal”. His novel, Primal, explores what happens when humans revert to their instincts, away from societal restrictions. “It’s nurture, not nature, that makes us monogamous,” he says.

The whole article
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/relationshi etc ...

Life’s statistics make a mockery of our cultural dedication to monogamous relationships. Monogamy is expected by 95% of couples, yet a survey, by the Social and Economic Sciences Research Center at Washington State University, of sexually active Seattle residents aged 18-39 found 27% of men and 18% of women reported that during their most recent sexual relationship, they had had sex with at least one other partner. Is this shocking? If you’re a regular tabloid reader, probably not.

More astonishingly, in the 1990s, Robin Baker, then an evolutionary biologist at Manchester University, discovered that 8% of children are conceived when a woman has recently slept with another man. Another statistic reveals that 10% of children in Britain don’t belong to the men they’re supposed to. This, says Baker, “is normal behaviour for a mammal”. His novel, Primal, explores what happens when humans revert to their instincts, away from societal restrictions. “It’s nurture, not nature, that makes us monogamous,” he says.

The whole article
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/relationshi etc ...

Riiiiiiiight.......
    And you're telling me this because??

I agree, humans are not naturally monogamous.
    But they are not naturally polygamous either.
    They seem to be a mix of both.
    It's all in the size of the balls apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Being un-felt perhaps

Riiiiiiiight.......
    And you're telling me this because??

I agree, humans are not naturally monogamous.
    But they are not naturally polygamous either.
    They seem to be a mix of both.
    It's all in the size of the balls apparently.

Or the ovaries:D

Nature or culture, in nature a man wants to spread his seed so his genes has maximum advantage of living on. But a woman want to have as many different gene types so she will have maximum advantage of her genes living on.

But in culture the pair bond has the maximum advantage, in that in primal times their mutual off springs could live on, but a man could be cuckolded into raring another man's child. So that culture of the pair bond could make for a lot of natural infidelity.

But we are no longer in a cave.

Or the ovaries:D

Nature or culture, in nature a man wants to spread his seed so his genes has maximum advantage of living on. But a woman want to have as many different gene types so she will have maximum advantage of her genes living on.

But in culture the pair bond has the maximum advantage, in that in primal times their mutual off springs could live on, but a man could be cuckolded into raring another man's child. So that culture of the pair bond could make for a lot of natural infidelity.

But we are no longer in a cave.

It makes sense to be monogamous though.
    Spread of diseases being the main reason.

There are actually more polygamous cultures in the world than monogamous ones if I remember correctly.

I can't remember specifics, but we did it in psychology, and in sociology before, and the studies seemed to lead to the conclusion that we were not set as one or the other, like most animals are.

I guess it is left up to us to decide which we are!

bluewolf wrote: »
    ...i'm actually male

Knew it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Women think about shoes, they just love looking at them.

whats the equivilant of shoes for us lads :confused:

Knockers

• Advertisement
Advertisement