Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What the doosh does one wear to the Fresher's ball?!?!

Options
  • 01-09-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Ok so here I was, all looking forward to getting my grad dress out again (even though I haven't had it yet- 4th September) and then I found out that the Fresher's ball isn't actually a "ball" as such...?

what the hell does everyone wear?? like how dressy?? don't say oh just wear a dress!

:)thank you:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

wear a dress you wont look out of place but then again ya might

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

that was the most awful answer i coulda got :)

it was such a man answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Ok so here I was, all looking forward to getting my grad dress out again (even though I haven't had it yet- 4th September) and then I found out that the Fresher's ball isn't actually a "ball" as such...?

what the hell does everyone wear?? like how dressy?? don't say oh just wear a dress!

:)thank you:)

Well a few years ago the Freshers Ball was construction themed, so you had most people wearing hi-vis vests and hard hats!

I **** you not, it was because JH, the River Apts, and other works were ongoing at the time, so the campus was more building site than college

cython wrote: »
    Well a few years ago the Freshers Ball was construction themed, so you had most people wearing hi-vis vests and hard hats!

I **** you not, it was because JH, the River Apts, and other works were ongoing at the time, so the campus was more building site than college

oooh a hard hat would look so hot with a floor length ball gown... mmmm...

seriously though!! why cant they jsut give us a theme for all of the balls so we dont have to get flustered!! the halloween one is going to be so much easier!

well there was a homecoming ball around the start of last year where the lads dressed as American footballers and the girls were cheerleaders but I'm not sure if it was the Fresher's Ball. Didn't really bother with it in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

man_258218t.jpg

The Irish Male.

You don't want a theme, trust me. To be honest from what I remember of last year most people go to them in sort of 'nice casual' clothes. This ain't no debs yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Although I don't wanna say too much, I can confirm that a dress'll be fine for this year's Freshers Ball. You might also wanna look into getting a OTT tiara, a celebratory sash and work on your "daddy that's not good enough" pout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

my guess is a "ball" doesnt mean s**t that you just wear a nice dress as if you're going out on the town like a normal night out... come on nobody is going to turn up in a ball gown just because it a freshers "ball"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Intriguing...my Debs dress only cost 100e but I'm still hoping to get good use out of it during the rest of my life.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Skinny jeans and a pair of heels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Boiler suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

What's a doosh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    What's a doosh?

It's what i refered to a few months ago i used the spelling douche....

Douche bag...

Vaginal irrigation....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche

Wow i actually never knew what that was...

Although I don't wanna say too much, I can confirm that a dress'll be fine for this year's Freshers Ball. You might also wanna look into getting a OTT tiara, a celebratory sash and work on your "daddy that's not good enough" pout.

damn i am gonna look so outta place... i dont scab money off my parents... i worked 50 hours some weeks this summer to pay for this myself!! i cant afford a sash!:eek:

xochillixo wrote: »
    my guess is a "ball" doesnt mean s**t that you just wear a nice dress as if you're going out on the town like a normal night out... come on nobody is going to turn up in a ball gown just because it a freshers "ball"!!

aw... i was all excited...

Intriguing...my Debs dress only cost 100e but I'm still hoping to get good use out of it during the rest of my life.:cool:

mine was €70! i got it from a company in hong kong on ebay! my shoes only cost €19 in a sale! the hong kong people were so precise in their measurements that i had to send off 30 different measurements! one was nipple to nipple!

Effluo wrote: »
    It's what i refered to a few months ago i used the spelling douche....

Douche bag...

Vaginal irrigation....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche

Wow i actually never knew what that was...

i like the sound of "what the douche?!" but referring to vaginal irrigation in polite conversation just doesn't work for me... so i changed it to doosh in my mind... sounds the same but i feel more refined :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

Hey everyone, what date is the Freshers' Ball & where is it usually held?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

damn i am gonna look so outta place... i dont scab money off my parents... i worked 50 hours some weeks this summer to pay for this myself!! i cant afford a sash!:eek:

By OTT tiara I get get a crappy plastic one that's really shiny, and as for the sash, just make one yourself. It's by no means a serious ulta-nice ultra-dressy affair; it's about following the theme of the night, which as you've already heard, can be pretty much anything.

By OTT tiara I get get a crappy plastic one that's really shiny, and as for the sash, just make one yourself. It's by no means a serious ulta-nice ultra-dressy affair; it's about following the theme of the night, which as you've already heard, can be pretty much anything.

i was joking bout the sash... damn lack of sarcasm online :)

is there always a theme???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

I do believe the answer you're looking for is.............................................. NOT MUCH!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

cython wrote: »

aw, good times!!!
    some boy gave me ear protectors and i thought i was so cool!!!

yeah, freshers ball, wear somthing that you would normaly wear on a night out. you will have plenty of excuses to get the debs dress out over the year with the theology ball, the science ball, the res ball, music ball and clubs and socs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 crammer123

ignore the "ball" part! its just a completely normal night out so wear an outfit you would usually wear on a night out..

there are other "balls" during the year though where formal dresses are appropriate!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

the hong kong people were so precise in their measurements that i had to send off 30 different measurements! one was nipple to nipple!

Does your dress have lights on the nipples or something? :pac:

Normal night out, casually good-looking clothes is all you'll need. If there's a theme you could go with that, even if you stand out it'll be a bit of craic and you'll meet more people from standing out anyways - that's really what the freshers ball is about :D

crammer123 wrote: »
    ignore the "ball" part! its just a completely normal night out so wear an outfit you would usually wear on a night out..

there are other "balls" during the year though where formal dresses are appropriate!

*sigh* oh ok.... sorry debs dress... ul just have to come to the cinema on saturday instead :(

Does your dress have lights on the nipples or something? :pac:

Normal night out, casually good-looking clothes is all you'll need. If there's a theme you could go with that, even if you stand out it'll be a bit of craic and you'll meet more people from standing out anyways - that's really what the freshers ball is about :D

omg lights on the nipples would be so cool......... unfortunately no im not that cool :(

i was hoping for a theme cos its an excuse to break the ice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

On this note.. how much do tickets usually cost + do people generally go?:rolleyes:

On this note.. how much do tickets usually cost + do people generally go?:rolleyes:

also... where is it?????:D

you will have plenty of excuses to get the debs dress out over the year with the theology ball, the science ball, the res ball, music ball and clubs and socs.

i dont do theology, science definitely isnt my thing, i dont know what res is... am i one?? my bf does music so that might be ok... and il join a club or soc with a ball :)

thank you :D

• Advertisement

i dont do theology, science definitely isnt my thing, i dont know what res is... am i one?? my bf does music so that might be ok... and il join a club or soc with a ball :)

thank you :D

I'm fairly sure you don't have to be doing theology to go to the ball.

The res ball is for Residents but personally I'd just prefer to go to Brady's or something. The tickets are fairly expensive if I remember

Advertisement