Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Charity Salaries

• 29-11-2011 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Just wondering like - what kinda dust do CEOs and fundraising managers for the small local charities pull in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

scholar007 wrote: »
    Just wondering like - what kinda dust do CEOs and fundraising managers for the small local charities pull in?
    Coke and hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Johro wrote: »
    Coke and hookers.
    And Atari Jaguars.

LiamN wrote: »
    And Atari Jaguars.
    It's only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Scratch Cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Tree Fiddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

No one knows how much.
    Sure, you'll probably get some smart ass quoting how much he/she thinks they make. But that's just guessing.

The only logical answer is that they are on something good for what they do. Because if it wasnt worth their while they wouldnt do it.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    No one knows how much.
    Sure, you'll probably get some smart ass quoting how much he/she thinks they make. But that's just guessing.

The only logical answer is that they are on something good for what they do. Because if it wasnt worth their while they wouldnt do it.
    That's some cynical outlook ya got there. There's plenty of people out there who just like to help out other people. Lots of them volunteer.

Johro wrote: »
    That's some cynical outlook ya got there. There's plenty of people out there who just like to help out other people. Lots of them volunteer.

Is my view cynical? perhaps. you might be right actually.
    Is it realistic however? yes. certainly yes.

Starting a charity business can be very enticing to a person without certain morals or ethics. Its foolish to think everyone who is involved only does so out of the kindness of their heart.

heres an article from the Examiner sept 2011, regarding a survey on Charity bosse's salaries

Enable Ireland appears to pay the highest according to this survey with the CE recieving E156,000

http://www.emara.org/news/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6629

Six charities — Arthritis Ireland, Bóthar, Unicef Ireland, the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, Simon Communities of Ireland and Special Olympics Ireland — refused to reveal details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Dust? Is that what the kids are calling moola these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Small local one? Most of them do not have fundraising managers at all or CEO's. It's committees and more committees.

Is my view cynical? perhaps. you might be right actually.
    Is it realistic however? yes. certainly yes.

Starting a charity business can be very enticing to a person without certain morals or ethics. Its foolish to think everyone who is involved only does so out of the kindness of their heart.
    It would be naive to think there wouldn't be a single person on the make, but when you say 'if it wasn't worth their while they wouldn't do it', that's another thing altogether and sounds like you're saying they're all scamming us. It's the kinda thing that gets bandied about a lot and is too often used as an excuse not to stick your hand in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The books should have to be opened to qualify for continuing charity status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There is no such thing as a registered charity in Ireland & there is no process for registration.

You can apply for charitable status for tax purposes with the Revenue Commissioner, but beyond that there is no supervision over what charities do in this country.

Some charities claim they are registered & give a "registered charity number". This isn't actually a registered charity number, but is in fact their VAT number.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Way too much. Most charities are businesses really designed to line the wallets of those at the top.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Way too much. Most charities are businesses really designed to line the wallets of those at the top.

exactly! agree 100%
    I think Krusty said it best: "well those limos outside dont pay for themselves. what ever is left over goes down the well"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

exactly! agree 100%
    I think Krusty said it best: "well those limos outside dont pay for themselves. what ever is left over goes down the well"

ALLLLLTHEWAYYDOWWWNNN

Such an awesome song too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭pennypocket

You can check registered status on the Revenue website - http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/authorised-charities.html.
    This will not give you salary levels however. Some local charities (due to 'hybrid' status) are listed on the Companies Registration Office - you can download company registration details, returns, accounts etc for a fee. As other posters have mentioned the whole area of charitable status is a mess in this country. There are no obligations for charities to make annual accounts available for public inspection (though some do), and there is very little oversight of their activities, nevermind CEO pay. You may recall the furore during the recent presidential election over Mary Davis' remumeration as CEO of Special Olympics Ireland. The Irish Examiner recently published a good article on charity bosses' salaries. Don't even get me started on the selfless Angela Kerins of Rehab Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Unreal stuff there pennypocket. Nearly every CEO's salary that was revealed is 100k+, one at 156k! Would they do the job for the average industrial wage considering they are supposed to be charities?

Money talks. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i don't understand this...its hypocritical & insulting to the people whom the charity was set up for... i do volunteering part time but even if i was offered a paid position i couldnt live with my self knowing i am getting paid way more than i need to get by.

• Advertisement
Advertisement