Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MRI and Claustrophobia

Options
  • 03-07-2015 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My mum was referred to a local health centre for an MRI by her doctor but on the day, she wouldn't go through with it as she suffers from very bad claustrophobia. Knowing her, it will be a very long and arduous battle to try and get her to face her fear and she needs this sooner rather than later, so I'm wondering if there are any open/upright MRIs in Ireland that might be easier for her?

Also, I can probably check this with the doctor, but maybe someone here can answer this too - would the doctor have any issue referring her to a different place (i.e. not the health centre she was referred to already)? And if the only MRI machine she will use is in the north, can a doctor down here refer her to somewhere up there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Don't know where you are but Euromedic in Cork have an open bore MRI machine (larger opening than normal) as far as I know and I'm sure some of the other clinics also have it. Ring them for costs.

I have had a normal MRI and after the first few minutes it's fine. You Mum's doctor could give her a sedative to take before it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I normally fall asleep in them after 5 minutes or so, a mild sedative might be just the trick. Ask the doctor if anything could be prescribed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I see Musgrave Hospital in Belfast have one. Is it possible to get referred here by a doctor in Ireland?

How would an Irish person go about availing of something like this which is covered by the NHS?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

I see Musgrave Hospital in Belfast have one. Is it possible to get referred here by a doctor in Ireland?

How would an Irish person go about availing of something like this which is covered by the NHS?

Could be tricky - moving across payment schemes is always a bit iffy. I'd really try and get one in Southern Ireland first if I were you.

The problem being here that it's not a treatment or investigation that she can only have outside the state, as we have MRI scanners here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Charlemont clinic used to have one, it's probably been transferred to one of the other euromedics centres now

• Advertisement
Advertisement