Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway car mechanic needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Need to get my corolla looked at in detail but would prefer someone who has a lot of experience in Toyotas rather than going to a main dealers as money is tight.

Can anyone recommend someone in or around Galway city or within 10 miles of the city?

I have heard that Parsons in Tuam are very good, but they are main dealer as far as I know and I just dont have the cash for main dealers at the moment.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Connolly or Athenry Motor Centre
    See here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62921072

Thanks for that. I am going to try James Connolly - can anyone tell me exactly where he is located/give me directions? Google maps has him in the middle of Newcastle :rolleyes:

He is in Kiltullagh.

Thanks Biko, called out to Connolly's before lunch, car booked in for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Want to get the car checked out before the NCT but also get part of the door fixed, only a small job, anyone know of a good garage to go to? Small is fine as long as they'll not rip me off.

1. just let it go through anyway and fix whatever they find. Advance Pitstop does a free pre-NCT - just don't believe everything they say :) They're there to sell you tyres and stuff.

2. if you think it'll pass on everything then there's plenty good garages around for the door, I'll merge this with the big mechanic thread with lots of suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I just don't want to get ripped off on the door to be honest, can ill afford it now. Any positive experiences?

Take the car to 2 or 3 different garages and get a quote at each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Hi gaeilgegrinds1,

Sent you a pm earlier about my own mechanic.

He's very reasonable price-wise.

All the best,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mcmurphy_old

Hey there guys , just wondering who knows the cheapest and best place to get diesel around the city etc ! Also have to get the timing belt and water pump done on a seat inca quoted €400

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055431583 would be a good place to ask about a mechanic. Dunno about the diesel but the cost of petrol'd frighten the crap out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

corrib oil on tuam road is usually the cheapest place around its opposite monaghans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mcmurphy_old

thanks dudes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend someone who will cheaply fix a tiny scratch on a car door. It's the sort of thing that I could imagine you'd be able to melt the paint around it to cover it up, rather than respraying the whole door.

I tipped my door off the neighbours car and put a barely noticeable scratch on it, and I don't want her fixing all the other things on her car on my dollar, so someone who would happily fix one tiny scratch for a few quid that I could send her to is what I'm after.

Many thanks in advance!
    PBXVI

Merged to mechanic thread. For petrol/diesel see pumps.ie

There is another way if the car has a clear coat and your fingernail doesn't catch in the scratch. You can use a fine sand paper 1500 or so and then replenish clear coat.

Suggestions here car spray paint/bodywork garages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Without sounding smart but if you hit her it'll be up to her to have the door resprayed to fix the scratch you caused ratehr than just melt the paint?? I never heard of that. At the end of the day you tipped her not the other way around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Can you not try to take out the scrath yourself? SOme t- cut and what not?

Yawns wrote: »
    Without sounding smart but if you hit her it'll be up to her to have the door resprayed to fix the scratch you caused ratehr than just melt the paint?? I never heard of that. At the end of the day you tipped her not the other way around.

She was asking me what to do and I told her to get estimates back to me, but she didn't really seem to know where to go, so I thought I could be helpful, while at the same time protecting myself from some cowboy out to make a buck on an 'insurance job'.

Also she has got a couple of scratches and a dent on the same door, and I don't really feel like paying to have those fixed.

• Advertisement

Yawns wrote: »
    Can you not try to take out the scrath yourself? SOme t- cut and what not?

No, I'm not going near her car... don't have the skills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

She was asking me what to do and I told her to get estimates back to me, but she didn't really seem to know where to go, so I thought I could be helpful, while at the same time protecting myself from some cowboy out to make a buck on an 'insurance job'.

Also she has got a couple of scratches and a dent on the same door, and I don't really feel like paying to have those fixed.

Get one of those pens in the auto shop and touch up the scratch with it. And if she doesnt agree with that tell her to cop on. Explain it to her that it cud have happened while in any car park around town and its nothing to get worked up about.

Some people are unreal with stuff like that. Its not like you left a crater in the door is it.

alibabba wrote: »
    Get one of those pens in the auto shop and touch up the scratch with it. And if she doesnt agree with that tell her to cop on. Explain it to her that it cud have happened while in any car park around town and its nothing to get worked up about.

Some people are unreal with stuff like that. Its not like you left a crater in the door is it.

I think it'll buff out... I took a load of pictures anyway, hopefully she'll be reasonable about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

I used a guy about 2 years ago, 'Scratch& Match'. Similar situation, he came out in his van to the car and fixed it up, very reasonable. I think the company might be Limerick based but they have a guy in Galway (at least they did then). PM me for his contact number.

N1one wrote: »
    I used a guy about 2 years ago, 'Scratch& Match'. Similar situation, he came out in his van to the car and fixed it up, very reasonable. I think the company might be Limerick based but they have a guy in Galway (at least they did then). PM me for his contact number.

Thanks a million N1one... PMing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks,

Im looking for someone to service a 05 Focus 1.6 diesel. Theres 100k miles on the clock. Our usual mechanic has gone to Oz for the year.
    Either Galway city or out Monivea direction

whilelightrider,

PM sent,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

whilelightrider,

PM sent,

M

Thanks King. Just wondering if anyone knows a mechanic around the Monivea, or Ballybrit areas? Looking to get the car serviced, and get the timing belt looked at.

whitelightrider,

that mechanic I recommended does a free collect and return service as far as I know. He's only a 15 minute drive from ballybrit.

Might be worth giving him a shout. Tell him Martin sent you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Does anyone know someone, other than Bradleys, who could look at a petrol Freelander (so Rover K series MG engine) regarding high exhaust emissions.

I need someone who won't fleece me for bits I don't need like a Cat Convertor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement