Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Surely an ameture player can have a few drinks after a match a week before the next game. It's gone completely over the top and no wonder players are leaving the county panel. Even in the English premership they only have a forty eight hour alcohol rule before matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Great to get back on the road with a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

lanomist wrote: »
    Surely an ameture player can have a few drinks after a match a week before the next game. It's gone completely over the top and no wonder players are leaving the county panel. Even in the English premership they only have a forty eight hour alcohol rule before matches.

It's not acceptable for amateur footballers to have a life away from the pitch... Didn't you know that?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's not acceptable for amateur footballers to have a life away from the pitch... Didn't you know that?? :rolleyes:

It's up to the players themselves to stop this though.

If all the players felt that sort of demands being put on players is too harsh they should just tell the management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Made hard work of that win over an awful Offaly side. Thought Eoin Doyle was outstanding, pity it took an injury to Fergal Conway to get him in. Eoghan O'Flaherty and Paul Cribbin were good too. Mikey Conway done well off the bench, he made the goal and his passing was brilliant. Gary White's black card was a blessing in disguise, Tommy Moolick had a great game in the middle.

Let them off the leash tonight for a few pints.

• Advertisement

Nib wrote: »
    Thought Eoin Doyle was outstanding

He was superb. His controlled aggression would remind you of Glenn in his pomp.

It was a dogfight today and you need players like that to win those contests.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He was superb. His controlled aggression would remind you of Glenn in his pomp.

It was a dogfight today and you need players like that to win those contests.

Kildare shouldn't be in a dogfight against the likes of Offaly, the team is rapidly declining under Ryan.

Johner wrote: »
    Kildare shouldn't be in a dogfight against the likes of Offaly, the team is rapidly declining under Ryan.

Maybe so but the lads who are still there putting it all in deserve support. It's far from a great Kildare team but people were questioning their heart last week which I don't think was very fair.

Andrew McLoughlin summed it up well last night on twitter. They're playing for the jersey and the supporters, not Jason Ryan.

JHL Final
    Ros Glas 3-11 Sallins 2-10

SHL Final
    Naas 2-13 Celbridge 1-15

IHL Final
    Naas 5-20 Kill 2-5

Great day for Naas hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

JHL Final
    Ros Glas 3-11 Sallins 2-10

SHL Final
    Naas 2-13 Celbridge 1-15

IHL Final
    Naas 5-20 Kill 2-5

Great day for Naas hurling.
    pfft....

Yes I am a bitter kill man 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Longford away next weekend

Good draw. They'll be no push-overs but we should have enough to take them.

I heard Peter Kelly played for TMH yesterday so hopefully he'll be available for selection.

What's the story with Fogarty? He was named in the programme on Saturday but there was no sign of him on the bench. He didn't play for Larries yesterday either.

Fogarty was togged out on the bench.

That's good news about Peter Kelly.

The match is in Mullingar with a 7pm throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Why is it in mullingar? I taught Longford had the home advantage

Why is it in mullingar? I taught Longford had the home advantage

Structural issues with the stand in Pearse Park:

http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/local-news/300-000-bill-to-make-pearse-park-stand-safe-1-6667391

Interesting to read on Twitter that our former S&C coach Barry Solan has joined Arsenal.

Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Johnny Doyle is the new manager of the Maynooth University Seniors. Will follow with interest.

Meh..

It's a shame he's not involved with our development squads, what a great role model he would be to our underage players. Money talks I suppose.

• Advertisement

Big weekend for Kildare football coming up.

I really am dreading this game tomorrow. Longford will fancy their chances big time against us and I really fear they are going to beat us. We were dreadful against Offaly, mistakes after mistake, especially in the forwards. The likes of Doyle, Fitzpatrick and Bolton dragged us over the line.

Tommy Moolick has to start in the middle, I'd like to see him partner White with Cribbin replacing Murnaghan at wing back. He was awful against Offaly and his error caused the goal. Cathal McNally was anonymous the last day, hopefully Fogarty will come back in with the JTB man making way. Callaghan to switch to the wing.

A hesitant 2 point win for Kildare.

The minors also face Longford on Sunday. No matter what happens on Saturday, a Leinster title from this talented bunch would give football in this county a massive lift. Best of luck to Brendan Hackett and the lads.

I'd be a slight bit more confident. We more or less fell across the line against Offaly but their late goal put a gloss on the scoreboard from their perspective. It took Kildare a good twenty five minutes last weekend to get the Dublin rout out of their systems and when we settled into it I think we were comfortably the better team. There wouldn't be a great deal between Longford and Offaly so if Kildare are tuned in properly we should take them. It might not be straightforward but we should have enough.

Yeah Moolick has to start but I'd be reluctant to move Cribbin for this game considering Longford have Mickey Quinn at midfield. Cribbin has the mobility to track his runs and put him on the backfoot when the opportunity arises. I'm not sure either Chalky or Moolick are up to that task.

Fogarty (0-10 in three championship games) has had a good year to date so hopefully he'll be back in. We're not really getting enough scores from the rest of the forwards apart from him and O'Flaherty (2-20 in four games, 2-7 from play). Smith is showing really well but he isn't really scoring heavily at the moment (only 0-6 in four games). You'd hope this might be the weekend where he gets a few breaks around the square. McNally (1-4), Leper (1-3) and O'Neill (0-3) will nearly always chip in with a score or two but they're there more for their workrate than their scoring power. Niall Kelly will get more space if Fogarty slots back into the full forward line. If he's left buzzing around the half forward line he has the ability to cause any defence problems.

Brian Kavanagh is a wily old fox in the Longford full forward line. He's excellent at fending off his marker and winning frees. The Kildare backs are going to have to be wise to this. I'm not sure whether it's a job for Ollie Lyons or even Peter Kelly if he's fit.

The Kildare Minor team to face Longford in tomorrow's Leinster Minor final at 12 noon in Croke park has been named:

1 Declan Campbell Na Raithiní
    2 Ronan Slattery Baile Éide
    3 Mike Joyce Na Cloighithe
    4 Darren Lawlor Riobáin
    5 Sam Doran Béal an Átha
    6 Shea Ryan Na Sairséalaigh
    7 Sean Healy Acadha Mórdha
    8 Daniel Courtney Cill Cocha
    9 Rory Feely Ath í
    10 Conor Hartley Na Sairséalaigh
    11 Ethan O Donohue Claonadh
    12 Brian Mc Loughlin Claonadh
    13 Ciaran Kelly Claonadh
    14 Matthew Kelly Na Cloighithe
    15 Jimmy Hyland Aylmer Gaels

No sign of a senior team named.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Longford 0-05 kildare 1-10 ht

We couldn't have asked for much more from Kildare tonight. The goal before half time was a killer blow to Longford but it was great to see Kildare put the foot to the floor and keep it there in the second half.

Over to the minors now tomorrow to complete a really good weekend.

Great win last night. 2-24 is a phenomenal score to put up.

Best of luck to the minors today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Fantastic win. Hopefully Westmeath the next day and we are in with a decent shot of the quarters. Come on the minors bring home the silverware

Great start. 1-3 to no score. Conor Hartley goal.

1-4 to 0-4

Kildare have lost a bit of momentum.

• Advertisement

1-6 to 0-4 (HT)

Kildare went twenty minutes without scoring before Jimmy Hyland kicked two points in injury time.

Advertisement