Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blastocystis Hominis

Options
  • 30-06-2015 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

There was a thread on this topic from 2008 but I have posted on it and haven't had any response, perhaps I'll have more luck here.

I have recently discovered the parasite Blastocystis Hominis in a stool test, after about 5 years of GI symptoms which initially developed during a trip to India. My initial symptoms were: stomach cramps, gurgling, gas, lots of burping, fatigue, and muscle pain in my shoulder. These symptoms would come and go and sometimes I would feel completely fine for weeks at a time. When I returned to Ireland I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with IBS.

Over the past 9 months my symptoms have worsened dramatically to include dizziness, nausea, brain fog, confusion, extreme exhaustion and at times depression, borne out of frustration. I am now at the point where it is difficult to get out of bed.

I have taken a course of Metronidazole but my symptoms persist, and all of my online research suggests that B. Hominis is largely resistant to this antibiotic.

I have been in contact with the author of the site badbugs.org, an excellent resource for information on this parasite, and she has provided me with information on a triple antibiotic therapy which seems to have a lot of success in eliminating this problem. However, my GP is unwilling to prescribe these medications for me.

I am hoping to find somebody else in Ireland who has successfully treated this problem, who can perhaps put me in touch with a medical practitioner who has experience in treating this parasite.

Any advice at all would be hugely appreciated, I'm due to return to work soon after a short break, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able.

Thanks.

Advertisement