Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Boot Camp

Options
  • 05-04-2006 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

"More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today."

Very interesting, running XP Pro on the mac without that horrible boot up process. here are some pics of it running :
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedye/sets/72057594099504282/

Also from digg.com "a report claims that around the time of OS X 10.5 Leopard's release, Apple will also make available a set of APIs to allow Windows to run Mac Universal Binary applications. This rumor was mentioned elsewhere several months ago, but wasn't linked so directly with the next version of OS X."

http://www.macosrumors.com/20060402A.php

Very interesting what Apple is doing here, i would love to see their long term plan... lets hope John C. Dvorak was wrong when he said Apple would stop doing OSX.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hey, now MBP / i(ntel)Mac users can use a non-crippled version of Photoshop! (assuming they have spare, legit copies of WinXP & PS lying around, that is...)

Some thoughts:
    Apple still make a lot of their money from hardware, so my uneducated guess is that, as long as they keep selling Macs, they won't care as much over whether home-users have OSX or XP.
    I'll go out on a limb and say that OSX itself will NEVER be released as a standalone OS for x86, though -- ie, AMD/VIA users will be left out (unlike the guys who install the hacked version of OSX onto their Intel machines). I doubt that Apple would want to bother creating compatibility with the thousands of configurations, is all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Hey, now MBP / i(ntel)Mac users can use a non-crippled version of Photoshop! (assuming they have spare, legit copies of WinXP & PS lying around, that is...)

Some thoughts:
    Apple still make a lot of their money from hardware, so my uneducated guess is that, as long as they keep selling Macs, they won't care as much over whether home-users have OSX or XP.
    I'll go out on a limb and say that OSX itself will NEVER be released as a standalone OS for x86, though -- ie, AMD/VIA users will be left out (unlike the guys who install the hacked version of OSX onto their Intel machines). I doubt that Apple would want to bother creating compatibility with the thousands of configurations, is all.

Indeed; well that's the beauty of it... what Apple are doing won't affect their sales at all, people will still need to buy a Mac computer, which will always come with OSX and won't change in price; windows makes a few quid too from anyone with OSX who buys the WinOS.

I agree about osx for x86... won't happen until Apple decide to drop hardware altogether... I can't remember, but which is the profit maker for apple (besides ipod and ipod related stuff), is it hardware or software?? I think it's hardware.
    Anyway; great idea by Apple, and quite frankly I am in no doubt about getting a mac now; I will use OSX primarily and will be content to know that, if i need it, XP (or vista) will be there for my games and certain apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dan99989

Anyone here tried this yet? On the verge of getting a MBP (or iMac Duo, not sure) to replace the old iBook, and just thought i'd see if it this was stable...

Damn needing XP for work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

dan99989 wrote:
    Anyone here tried this yet? On the verge of getting a MBP (or iMac Duo, not sure) to replace the old iBook, and just thought i'd see if it this was stable...

Poked about with one today in the apple store in cork! Heh, seemed stable, all drivers seemed to be working. But damn its freaky!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't know if this is true - but I'm told that it will expose your mac to the same viruses as if you were using a PC - Does anybody know if this true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

crosstownk wrote:
    I don't know if this is true - but I'm told that it will expose your mac to the same viruses as if you were using a PC - Does anybody know if this true?

Apple actually make a point of saying this on the Boot Camp site !! It won't affect the "Mac" part of the system only the Windows part. As Apple say:
    Word to the Wise
    Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

dan99989 wrote:

Yeah it works really well. I previously installed XP on a 17" intel imac using the onmac.net third-party solution but there were no drivers for a lot of important devices (graphics card in particular). When the bootcamp method came out I had to remove the onmac.net solution by zeroing the first couple of GB's of the drive and then starting again which was a balls but it was well worth it.
    Fortunately for you, if the mac just has OSX on it the installation of windows is a breeze.

To really test the performance I installed a few games such as FEAR and quake 4 and I was very impressed that it could handle those games very well...in fact I didnt want to give the imac back to my friend.

The most interesting part of the job was when I handed the imac back to my friend who had been using OSX with no problems (his 1st computer) since january. I should have sat him down and given a few warnings about windows because even with all the updates, firefox etc windows is a magnet for malware. About half an hour after he started using windows he managed to install spyware after clicking on one of those 'Your computer is at risk' messages on a webpage and then got infected by yet more spyware by installing a fake spyware remover...Does anyone else suspect like I do that this is just going to make OSX fans even more loyal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

:D Oh dear... if he is that unused to net scams, do you really think it was a good idea to let him install XP?
    He could have bought a PS2/Xbox/GameCube with the money for an XP license :p

Advertisement