Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just to make us ALL feel like rank amateurs...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1393939

266509.jpg

lol, wouldn't even make the top 20 with both NAS's combined. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

vibe666 wrote: »
    just to make us ALL feel like rank amateurs...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1393939

266509.jpg

lol, wouldn't even make the top 20 with both NAS's combined. :(

197.4 TB??

Now we know who backs up the internet!

And I thought I had a lot with 8 tb.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hehe... that's cute.

A medium sized LTE network will generate 10s of TB/day in performance and fault data... this is generally warehoused in raw form for ~90 days.

apples and oranges. we're talking about home users here, not businesses. i'm currently sitting about 50m from several petabytes of storage for several of the largest companies in the country, but it bares no significance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Yeah, I know... I was just having a bit of a laugh.

For personal use, though... that sort of storage is just nuts.

• Advertisement

i just read my previous reply back and it came across as really snarky (to me at least). not sure why, but apologies anyway.

i blame a hard day of muppet juggling at work! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Remouad wrote: »
    197.4 TB??

Now we know who backs up the internet!

And I thought I had a lot with 8 tb.....

I hope he's not with Eircom's "Generous" allowance, otherwise he'll be paying for the upkeep of the entire Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Folks is the cashback offer still available? a little confusing reading through the thread. If someone could link me to the server and cashback form I would appreciate it.

Thanks

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Folks is the cashback offer still available?

Thanks

No, not currently and probably never again.

The N54Ls are discontinued and the replacement G8 Microserver is much more expensive and with a worse cashback (you need to buy a £100 switch with the server to qualify).

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Ahh well, thought as much. Can someone stick an expired tag on this thread so others know.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

The G8 is just new to market, they're hardly going to start knocking them out cheap at the start. It'll probably be next year before they come down in price on a similar deal, but it'll happen. They wouldn't have done the 40 and 54 deals if the 36 (and subsequently 40) deals weren't successful for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cool, its unix anyways, so hopefully I have similar results with Ubuntu server.

I installed plex on my server last night and it seems to be working fine with just the stock amount of RAM. I didnt try it too much but seemed to stream to the Now Tv perfectly fine.

takes a good while to scan, but thats understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I installed plex on my server last night and it seems to be working fine with just the stock amount of RAM. I didnt try it too much but seemed to stream to the Now Tv perfectly fine.

takes a good while to scan, but thats understandable

Directplay won't tax the RAM too much. Transcoding is what puts it through its paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

i just read my previous reply back and it came across as really snarky (to me at least). not sure why, but apologies anyway.

i blame a hard day of muppet juggling at work! :o

there a cat for that :P , print and stick on yer desk :

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Sorry to wreck everyones head with this but how are people getting their orders processed with ebuyer.com. Im' getting rejected with my Irish visa and my paypal linked to that visa. What method is everyone using?
    I ordered via elara the last time I bought one of these. Ebuyer couldn't accept an order from Ireland last time I tried to order anything from them (over 2 years ago now)

thesteve wrote: »
    I ordered via elara the last time I bought one of these. Ebuyer couldn't accept an order from Ireland last time I tried to order anything from them (over 2 years ago now)
    if the price is right at ebuyer then parcel motel is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

if the price is right at ebuyer then parcel motel is the way to go.
    True, I didn't know of this service back then but iirc, they blocked the transaction based on the payment source and not the delivery location. Could be wrong though!

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Folks is the cashback offer still available? a little confusing reading through the thread. If someone could link me to the server and cashback form I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    No, not currently and probably never again.

Cashback is back! I knew it would be :p

http://h41225.www4.hp.com/UK_focus/PA0074%20-%20HP%20Microserver%20%C2%A3100%20Cashback%20September%202013%20v3.pdf?jumpid=re_r10104_uk/en/ent/tsg/promoindex-ot-xx-pu-golden_offers_smb/chev-hp_microse_17923/

also great value on the 3yr HP care pack for £20 too if you get it with the microserver.
    HP Care Pack for only £20!
    Enhance your MicroServer’s warranty with 3 Years onsite cover
    with HP Care Pack (details below). If we are unable to rectify a fault
    over the phone and need to send out an engineer, you will incur no
    additional charge, plus parts and labour costs are also included.
    In support of this offer, attach HP Care Pack (UR482E) and claim a
    further £76 cash back - making the price of your HP Care Pack just
    £20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Nforce wrote: »
    Cheers!

Just picked up another one of these from http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp . Cost me £206 inc. delivery.
    Sorry to repeat one of the questions that has been asked a trillion times on this thread but how did you pay for this? I just did a livechat with one of their staff and they said that the only method of payment that they would accept would be bank transfer. Was hoping to use Visa debit card and deliver to Parcel Motel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

johnybean wrote: »
    Sorry to repeat one of the questions that has been asked a trillion times on this thread but how did you pay for this? I just did a livechat with one of their staff and they said that the only method of payment that they would accept would be bank transfer. Was hoping to use Visa debit card and deliver to Parcel Motel
    I paid using visa debit card with delivery direct to ROI. Order went through no problem.

Thanks for that. Now to home and run it by the "accountant" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Do as I did. Purchase first and apologise for it afterwards.

Thanks for that. Now to home and run it by the "accountant" :cool:
    protip: make sure you lead in with how much money you'll SAVE by buying it. ;)

also, try and avoid comparing it to a shoe or handbag purchase, for some bizarre reason this just seems to rile them up? :confused:

also, try and avoid comparing it to a shoe or handbag purchase, for some bizarre reason this just seems to rile them up? :confused:
    Nforce wrote: »
    Do as I did. Purchase first and apologise for it afterwards.

Just sprayed coffee all over my keyboard, thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ringside

Consider amazon.de http://www.amazon.de/Micro-NAS-Server-Turion-keine-4-Bay/dp/B00AKWUUXU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378130994&sr=8-2&keywords=n54l

comes in at €280 plus shipping rather than (€457-€120) €337 plus shipping and you don't have the hassle of having to claim back the money. Amazon.de are cheaper for lots of electronic goods despite the slightly higher shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

That's what she said! :D

Using reason is never a good idea. Best approach is explain why your actually buying it for her....

ringside wrote: »
    Consider amazon.de http://www.amazon.de/Micro-NAS-Server-Turion-keine-4-Bay/dp/B00AKWUUXU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378130994&sr=8-2&keywords=n54l

comes in at €280 plus shipping rather than (€457-€120) €337 plus shipping and you don't have the hassle of having to claim back the money. Amazon.de are cheaper for lots of electronic goods despite the slightly higher shipping costs.

Serversdirect are selling the HP for £202 delivered less the cashback of £100=£102 final cost of the server. You also have to buy the server off a HP approved seller to be able to claim the cashback and I'm not sure if any of the sellers on Amazon are approved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 ringside

Serversdirect are selling the HP for £202 delivered less the cashback of £100=£102 final cost of the server. You also have to buy the server off a HP approved seller to be able to claim the cashback and I'm not sure if any of the sellers on Amazon are approved

You can't claim the money back from Amazon but it still works out cheaper than ordering in from an authorised HP reseller and getting the money back. The shipping from amazon.de was very reasonable the last time I did this. hpshop is €10 and amazon.de was ca €20 so you're still ahead

Advertisement