Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Higher Level Maths !

Options
  • 15-05-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

I currently do OL Maths for the junior cert , but I want to do HL maths for leaving as the courses I want require it. Is is possible to change?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Sure. Give it a try.. there's no law or rule against doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

Exo wrote: »
    Sure. Give it a try.. there's no law or rule against doing so.

I was just wondering as my school would not let me change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

The choice is yours. If they insist, then I'd recommend doing HL Maths externally at a grinds college, or both if they do let you. It'll serve as good revision.

I appreciate the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭C14N

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    I currently do OL Maths for the junior cert , but I want to do HL maths for leaving as the courses I want require it. Is is possible to change?

If you really want to, I'd say try it. If the school won't let you, get your parents involved, unless they have absolutely no honours spaces they can let you at least try it starting out. Bear in mind that you probably will have to really want to do it though, it will be a big step up from what you're used to so you're going to have to put in extra hours yourself to catch up, maybe get extra classes after school if you can afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What kind of level are you at now? You would want to be a high B at least in OL to consider HL for Leaving Cert. It's definitely do-able but be prepared for grinds from the start of fifth year and a lot of hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Billyblog

I got 19% in a second year end of year maths higher exam. I managed the B in Junior cert and got an A1 for the leaving. maths is all about getting the foundations right. It will require extra work but it is entirely possible. I reckon you should go for it.

I appreciate all the advi

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ProjectManager

Billyblog wrote: »
    maths is all about getting the foundations right. It will require extra work but it is entirely possible. I reckon you should go for it.

This is absolutely correct. However you do need first close the gap between JCO and JCH. I suggest that you could use transition year for that because you will be at a disadvantage if you go to LCH in 5th year without a good understanding of JCH.

If you can prove that you have closed that gap in TY then your school cant stop you from doing LCH

This is absolutely correct. However you do need first close the gap between JCO and JCH. I suggest that you could use transition year for that because you will be at a disadvantage if you go to LCH in 5th year without a good understanding of JCH.

If you can prove that you have closed that gap in TY then your school cant stop you from doing LCH

I'm skipping Ty unfortunately but I have the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    I'm skipping Ty unfortunately but I have the summer

Don't do anything during the summer. You'll only just have done the Junior Cert and 5th year can be tough going. You'll need a break. There will be plenty of time in 5th year if you work consistently.

You will more than likely start with Algebra in 5th year. Once you can nail that, it is the basis for many other areas in LC maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭C14N

thelad95 wrote: »
    Don't do anything during the summer. You'll only just have done the Junior Cert and 5th year can be tough going. You'll need a break. There will be plenty of time in 5th year if you work consistently.

You will more than likely start with Algebra in 5th year. Once you can nail that, it is the basis for many other areas in LC maths.

I wouldn't say do nothing. It might be a good idea to give yourself a week or two but if you're serious about it then I would recommend trying to get an early start during the summer. Mightn't be necessary but it would sure give you an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

I did OL for the JC and they told me that if I got an A in the JC and did TY they'd let me try honours and I've kept it on for the past two years and I'm gonna sit the higher paper next week :) it's doable but you need to work at it. If you can manage to even pass honours maths for the leaving it's well worth the points

Advertisement