Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No just normal android , I couldn't find anything about an openelec version for the mxiii 2gb version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

dahat wrote: »
    MXIII came with 110k4 installed so decided to see how it was before tinkering with it.

Installed Total installer and Andy's build, super impressed with that. Everything a user needs really, user preference will decode if a few extra add ons are needed but it is set up correctly using Aeon NOx.

Firmware ran fine for the 45 mins I put a film at 1080 through it but will likely update it to a better version from Freaktab. I will keep this box on Android as it is a second box for the wife to use upstairs mainly.

Back to the builds again, thses will cut out box sellers ripping folk off with "fully loaded" boxes, I literally had ot installed on 5 mins with no tech knowledge needed bar in putting the Total source

Yeah that is the hope...

I did notice with Aoen Nox, I uninstalled Kodi and what I thought was everything from tablet. Done a few reboots and reinstalled Kodi. Booted into it and it came back with same Aoen Nox setup. Looks like the skin is a program on its own

Wiped the tablet, it needed it anyway and going to rebuild now and try out the community builds....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    No just normal android , I couldn't find anything about an openelec version for the mxiii 2gb version.

Look in Freaktab, Just me has a OE fpr MXIII 2gb.
    Also the Russians have one done with 5.0 Open Elec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Setting up my mxiii and I have no volume. using the same hdmi cable I had on an atv2.
    Tried turning up volume in android settings and on TV.
    Anyone had this?

Also I have flashed finless rom for this box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Could also try factory reset them reboot if OP is comfortable re installing add ons etc.

Should be able to get the box going via toothpick method anyway and if not then that's a whole different issue altogether.

Just an update on my issues.

So thanks to some help from the great Allyall, I did manage to get the cache and data wiped. I tried both a regular reboot, as well as installing a new rom. Both worked once, but then the second I'd turn the power off, the machine would again free when I rebooted it.

It seems like it's just a faulty box, unfortunately :-(

• Advertisement

Look in Freaktab, Just me has a OE fpr MXIII 2gb.
    Also the Russians have one done with 5.0 Open Elec

Tired the Just me Open Elec bit couldn't get it flashed at all, seems to need the .zip plus two files he has linked, couldn't see the actual original zip file at all.

Will go with the Russian Open Elec later to test it out before I have to relinquish control of the box to the Mrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Can someone confirm which OE I use for 2gb MXIII.

From here: http://amlinux.ru/image/5.0.0/

Is it the .zip or updated.zip? S82 I'm assuming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

gar wrote: »
    Setting up my mxiii and I have no volume. using the same hdmi cable I had on an atv2.
    Tried turning up volume in android settings and on TV.
    Anyone had this?

Also I have flashed finless rom for this box

sorted. had to disable the usb audio. seen the dongle connected to the box as an audio output!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Can someone confirm which OE I use for 2gb MXIII.

Is it the .zip or updated.zip? S82 I'm assuming?

I used the .zip s82 on mine, No problems to report here with it bar the odd freeze in Kodi once or twice

I bought 2 mxq's for family members aswell and will hopefully have them this week, the power supply issue worried me a bit but it seems to be more so US adapters that were affected. There's still no linux or openelec release for the mxq though is there?

• Advertisement

5500 wrote: »
    I used the .zip s82 on mine, No problems to report here with it bar the odd freeze in Kodi once or twice

Did you use the updater app on the box?

Hey

Would this box:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Droibox-Android-Wireless-Streamer-BLACK/dp/B00CLZ7BP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421855334&sr=8-1&keywords=android+4.2+mx

Do the job just the same as the MX2?

I'd rather buy off Amazon than Ebay so that I've a warranty, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Alright lads.

Mate of mine is selling one of these android boxes http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/mxq-quad-core-gotham-13-2-loaded-unlocked-smart-tv-box-android-kit-kat-4-4-xbmc-wifi-hdtv-hdmi-sports-movies/6778195

Any of ya's use it before?

Price of UPC is gone crazy at the moment is it possible to get rid of paying for the UPC box but keeping the internet?

I get the internet of a modem not the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Did you use the updater app on the box?

I unzipped to sd card and did it via recovery but the updater app afaik just boots to recovery so should do the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Burkie7 wrote: »

Sorry to go OT

You are aware when they increase the price, they are changing the terms of the contract with you the customer which means you can cancel even if you are in contract. Ring them and tell them you want to cancel over the increase they will actually give you a discount.

Monokne wrote: »
    Hey

Would this box:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Droibox-Android-Wireless-Streamer-BLACK/dp/B00CLZ7BP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421855334&sr=8-1&keywords=android+4.2+mx

Do the job just the same as the MX2?

I'd rather buy off Amazon than Ebay so that I've a warranty, just in case.

Look for satbox.is , Irish seller who has bricks and mortar shop on Waterford. He won't rob you and you can always go back to him with issues.

That box is a dual core which is getting outdates now as newer boxes are octacore.

Look for satbox.is , Irish seller who has bricks and mortar shop on Waterford. He won't rob you and you can always go back to him with issues.

That box is a dual core which is getting outdates now as newer boxes are octacore.

Cheers mate I'll check it out.

The one I'm getting off my mate is a quad core one not a dual core one I just sent that link as that's how it looks.

This is the photo he sent me: http://s24.postimg.org/wxoy4em7p/10942479_10153138262844474_2046082030_n.jpg

A technician comes out to the house and fits it in for you an all and if you don't like it you don't have to pay.

Would their be much difference with a Octacore and Quadcore performance wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I've ordered 3 of them boxes from China for less than the price of that one.

I imagine everything on it could be put on it by yourself with a little help from YouTube.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I've ordered 3 of them boxes from China for less than the price of that one.

I imagine everything on it could be put on it by yourself with a little help from YouTube.

Yes after looking up prices off it that seems to be a lot dearer. The satbox website I think would be my best bet though as they can help you if anything goes wrong. Would you know what would be the best box to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cheers mate I'll check it out.

The one I'm getting off my mate is a quad core one not a dual core one I just sent that link as that's how it looks.

This is the photo he sent me: http://s24.postimg.org/wxoy4em7p/10942479_10153138262844474_2046082030_n.jpg

A technician comes out to the house and fits it in for you an all and if you don't like it you don't have to pay.

That's the MXQ I'm pretty sure you could buy it with DHL shipping for about €50 off gearbest.

or buy this the MX3 2gb from amazon for €85 delivered http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Quad-Core-fully-loaded-MXIII/dp/B00O0LEQIW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421862191&sr=8-3&keywords=mx3+2gb

You could run the tv addons wizard in about 5 mins flat and I would be shocked if there was less on it than your mates box he is selling.

Thank you brother.

Is there much difference between this: M8 Quad Core Android - http://www.satbox.ie/apps/webstore/products/show/5259706

and this: MXq Quad core Android - http://www.satbox.ie/apps/webstore/products/show/5353797

?

Inclined to go for the 80 quid one but if the other one is appreciably better, I can be swayed.

rob316 wrote: »
    That's the MXQ I'm pretty sure you could buy it with DHL shipping for about €50 off gearbest.

or buy this the MX3 2gb from amazon for €85 delivered http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Quad-Core-fully-loaded-MXIII/dp/B00O0LEQIW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421862191&sr=8-3&keywords=mx3+2gb

You could run the tv addons wizard in about 5 mins flat and I would be shocked if there was less on it than your mates box he is selling.

Thanks mate I checked their and it said it doesn't deliver to Ireland.

Would this one be better to get that the previous poster linked to: http://www.satbox.ie/apps/webstore/products/show/5259706

Monokne wrote: »
    Thank you brother.

Is there much difference between this: M8 Quad Core Android - http://www.satbox.ie/apps/webstore/products/show/5259706

and this: MXq Quad core Android - http://www.satbox.ie/apps/webstore/products/show/5353797

?

Inclined to go for the 80 quid one but if the other one is appreciably better, I can be swayed.

I have the M8 and its a great box but not running Android.

The MXQ is a newer box bit have one coming and I'm sure he wouldn't sell one without knowing it was fully operational and well built.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

The MXIII with Octacore Graphics Processor is Ultra HD capable (ie. 4K or 2160p) - so it future proofs your box a bit if/when you go for a next generation Telly. A faster processor and the 2GB of RAM version in particular, compared to the 1GB MXQ should give you better performance all round anyway.

Like the others I don't think you're getting good value for the solution proposed. With plenty of youtube demos "monkey see, monkey do" DIY custom configuration has never been easier or more beneficial.

I have the M8 and its a great box but not running Android.

As in it doesn't run android well or you're not using it for android?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Invincible

Thanks mate I checked their and it said it doesn't deliver to Ireland.

Would this one be better to get that the previous poster linked to: http://www.satbox.ie/apps/webstore/products/show/5259706

It's priced high at €104.99!
    I got the M8S S812 2GB for $85 from a seller off Aliexpress, It's H.265 capable and 4K ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROVER

Is the MXIIII 2GB H.265 compatible? I seem to get conflicting information on eBay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Got my MX3 2gb from gearbest last week it came with the 110k4 Firmware so i found a new one 112k4 to update, but before I updated to this i wanted to make a nandroid back up so i installed TWRP recovery did the backup and then installed the new Firmware 112k4 which has a few more settings in relation to Dolby Dts audio settings, anyway I then decided to install openlec 5.0 and that's where my problems began, I couldn’t for the life of me get the box to boot into recovery mode to update it's seemed when I installed the new Firmware 112k4 it was not compatiple with TWRP so my back up was uselsss, it's after taking me all this week to figure out but I got into recovery mode I did this firstly by downloading an old 108k4 Firmware, downloading amologic USB burning tools and copied over to the mx3 which gave me a Fresh install and which allowed me to get into the CWM recovery mode to install openelec 5.0 which i have to say is fantastic everything seems so much zippier But what a f****** dose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement