Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Jayuu wrote: »
    They'll probably bring all of these as far as design status and then do them piecemeal as money allows.

I think the N24 should be built to 2+2 status although I reckon we'll probably end up with a WS2 scheme. Given that it serves as a link between Limerick and Waterford it's would be a much better link for those two cities than the M20/N25 route via Cork, so it could justify the upgrade.

As for priority I would go with Pallasgreen > Cahir (or even Pallasgreen > Bansha) first followed by the Carrick-on-Suir/Kilsheelan bypass. Taking Tipperary/Bansha/Carrick/Kilsheelan out of the route would dramatically cut journey times.

The worst part of the N24, in my opinion, is from Pallasgreen to Rathkeevin (which is a townland west of Clonmel just at the R687 junction. There's also a pub there). Pallasgreen to Cahir alone would take a good twenty minutes or more off journey times at any time of the day, and would eliminate one of the most dangerous roads in the country while, simultaneously, providing the much-needed N24/N74 bypass of Tipp Town.

In terms of connecting the interurban motorways (and this might be considered heresy), I don't think the N24 will be of much use, as it meets the M9 and M7 only at their termini. For interurban connectivity, I really think that a midlands corridor (either N62 or N80) Type 2 DC would be far more beneficial. This does not detract one bit from the need to upgrade the N24. A dualled N62 or N80 would be a luxury, but a dualled N24 is a necessity in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The N24 needs doing, but not dual carraigeway the whole length. 2x2 bypasses of Tipp town, Carrick-on-Suir and Clonmel, and then a good standard single carraigeway, realigned past all the villages would be perfect.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    The N24 needs doing, but not dual carraigeway the whole length. 2x2 bypasses of Tipp town, Carrick-on-Suir and Clonmel, and then a good standard single carraigeway, realigned past all the villages would be perfect.

A good standard single carriageway would be WS2 - which is basically the same width as a Type 2 DC. Like this. You get more bang for your buck, in terms of safety and journey times, with Type 2 DC than WS2.
    In deciding which spec to go for, it seems to me that a designer would also have to allow for increased traffic volume were the route to be upgraded. For instance, Limerick is only 60km from my house, while Cork is 100km. But it always takes less time for me to get to Cork than to Limerick because of the M8. Hence I never think of going to Limerick unless I have too. With a DC I'd go much more often, as would a lot of other people, including hauliers. A WS2 could become unsafe after ten years or so, but not a Type 2 DC. That's my view anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

IMO the N24 should multiplex with the M8 and run due east from Tipperary town, this would improve links from Tipp town (& Galbally , Ballylanders etc) with Dublin, North Tipp. Something like this:

nordydan wrote: »
    IMO the N24 should multiplex with the M8 and run due east from Tipperary town, this would improve links from Tipp town (& Galbally , Ballylanders etc) with Dublin, North Tipp. Something like this:

The NRA would also succeed in eliminating the despicable N74 if they did that.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    The NRA would also succeed in eliminating the despicable N74 if they did that.

Indeed, not sure about the topography mind you but the N74 would also go. It's a national route in name only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

A good standard single carriageway would be WS2 - which is basically the same width as a Type 2 DC. Like this. You get more bang for your buck, in terms of safety and journey times, with Type 2 DC than WS2.
    In deciding which spec to go for, it seems to me that a designer would also have to allow for increased traffic volume were the route to be upgraded. For instance, Limerick is only 60km from my house, while Cork is 100km. But it always takes less time for me to get to Cork than to Limerick because of the M8. Hence I never think of going to Limerick unless I have too. With a DC I'd go much more often, as would a lot of other people, including hauliers. A WS2 could become unsafe after ten years or so, but not a Type 2 DC. That's my view anyway.

Absolutely no need for hard shoulders to have a good quality single carriageway. I don't really see the point - they seem to be a peculiarly Irish thing. As long as the road is reasonably straight to allow overtaking, and wide enough to allow two trucks to pass on opposite sides without slowing down, and has a good surface, that is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

the road betweet tipp town and bansha is closed from 8am to 7pm until the 1st of october they better be doing something fantastic to justify closing it for that long

I know, people have to divert via the M8 (a pleasure) and the N74 (a nightmare). Nothing major will happen during this closure, you can be certain of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

instead of using the detour, its actually a lot quicker to turn off N24 at rathkeevin , follow R697 to new inn, from new inn turn left and follow the local road to golden , there you can join the N74 to tipp town..

hopefully the N24 closure is to facilitate work on removing the bend at tankerstown, its quiet possible at there is local diversions between bansha and kilmoyler...

• Advertisement

Indeed, not sure about the topography mind you but the N74 would also go. It's a national route in name only

The topography would be conducive. I fired off an email to the NRA this evening. I asked them a number of questions, one of which was:
    I would like an update on the state of the N24 Pallasgreen-Cahir scheme. Tom Hayes TD has said that the NRA intends to progress this upgrade. He reports Fred Barry as saying the scheme is being retained. This is most welcome. First, what is the status of the scheme, and when will the EIS be published and made available to the public? Second, it was suggested recently on the Roads Forum of boards.ie that part of this scheme be multiplexed with the M8, as shown here. Can you please comment on this idea: was it (or is it) considered an option? If done it would eliminate the need for the dire N74, improve the N24, as well as shorten the alignment of the new N24, thereby reducing costs while making maximum use of the spare capacity on the M8 between Cashel and Cahir, all in one go. In any event, is the NRA open to putting this scheme into a second or third tranche of PPP projects to be advanced after the current batch (M17/M18/M11/Newlands Cross) is delivered?

The N74 is an N-road in name only, you're quite right. Golden is the only village of note on it, and it's slightly larger than Bansha on the N24. The N74 is an extremely sinuous road, worse than either the N72 or N73 with absolutely no overtaking opportunities due to the bendy, narrow alignment. Your suggestion is excellent.

charlemont wrote: »
    instead of using the detour, its actually a lot quicker to turn off N24 at rathkeevin , follow R687 to new inn, from new inn turn left and follow the local road to golden , there you can join the N74 to tipp town..

hopefully the N24 closure is to facilitate work on removing the bend at tankerstown, its quiet possible at there is local diversions between bansha and kilmoyler...

Fixed that for you. ;) If coming from Clonmel I suppose it probably is. The R687 isn't anywhere near as safe as the M8 though, and there's a few bad bends on it, plus you can get stuck behind a tractor on that local road (the L3121) you mentioned (which I notice is a little busier lately). I'd personally stick with the posted detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Personally I'm not sure why an upgraded N24 (if it were 2+2) would need to divert in the manner suggested.

I would think that if people had the option of a dual carraigeway and motorway link between Tipperary and Cashel they would take it even if it meant going a few extra miles via Cahir. It would still end up as a faster, safer journey.

Personally I'm not sure why an upgraded N24 (if it were 2+2) would need to divert in the manner suggested.

I would think that if people had the option of a dual carraigeway and motorway link between Tipperary and Cashel they would take it even if it meant going a few extra miles via Cahir. It would still end up as a faster, safer journey.

Indeed, but one could make the same argument:

I would think that if people had the option of a dual carraigeway and motorway link between Tipperary and Cahir they would take it even if it meant going a few extra miles via Cashel. It would still end up as a faster, safer journey.

The thing is, the new N24 will divert to parallel part of the M8 for about 5km anyway (see attached). This is because the terrain along the current alignment makes new offline roadbuilding close by difficult. I think Nordydan's idea has real merit, but it would necessitate a new GSJ to be constructed between what is now junction 9 and 10.

The thing is, the new N24 will divert to parallel part of the M8 for about 5km anyway (see attached). This is because the terrain along the current alignment makes new offline roadbuilding close by difficult. I think Nordydan's idea has real merit, but it would necessitate a new GSJ to be constructed between what is now junction 9 and 10.

Potentially it makes sense but given the need to create a new GSJ as opposed to tying in with an existing one, I can't see them doing that.

Potentially it makes sense but given the need to create a new GSJ as opposed to tying in with an existing one, I can't see them doing that.

Sure aren't they building a service area around here anyway?

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab235/Seighean/DSCF3435.jpg

Does that not require a new GSJ?

Sure aren't they building a service area around here anyway?

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab235/Seighean/DSCF3435.jpg

Does that not require a new GSJ?

The service area is on the other side of Cashel (the Thurles side) so its not applicable.

The service area is on the other side of Cashel (the Thurles side) so its not applicable.

They can move it 5 miles down the road, and serve both the N24 and M8

That would be more like 16km down the road unfortunately, which makes it too close to the other proposed MSA at Kilworth going by the 60km interval rule the NRA have adopted.

Now, the very area you mentioned, halfway between Cashel and Cahir, was considered as a site for the MSA, but this was ultimately disregarded in favour of the site north of Cashel, primarily on grounds of distance from Kilworth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

I would turn in golden and to new inn alright find it handier, on the radio the road is closed until the 8th now whole way from cahir to tipp, they would want to be moving some bends alright, will have to go for a spin the weekend see whats happening,,, I think its crazy they arent working the weekends to get it finished with, id say if it was any other country they would be working 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

The road is open at night from 7pm. Drove it last night. Unfortunately they are doing nothing more than a basic resurfacing job. No realignment of bends or anything like that. Best we can hope for is they will paint the lines on this job. They did parts of it 8 months ago and just put a temporary splash of dark red paint down the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

charlemont wrote: »

I'll believe it when I see it :rolleyes:

This was in the Clonmel Nationalist today:
    The public's views are to be sought later this month on a new proposed route for the Carrick-on-Suir Bypass as concerns mount among county councillors that this project and the proposed Tipperary Bypass have been put on the long finger by a cash strapped Government.

Calls were made at the September meeting of South Tipperary Co. Council for the plans to be scaled back and ring roads of Carrick-on-Suir and Tipperary be pushed for instead to allieve the traffic congestion that is choking both towns.

Fears were voiced that it could be as long as ten years before the bypasses were built due to the dire economic straits the country is at the moment.

But the Council's Roads Director Billy McEvoy insisted the Council was very positive about the projects' progress and confident of securing funding. .

He stressed the best chance of securing funding for the bypasses was to continue with progressing the current proposals for dual carriageway bypasses that would eventually link in with a new dual carriageway N24.

Councillors highlighted their concerns when Mr McEvoy updated them on the current status of the major N24 projects in planning.

Mr McEvoy reported that a public consultation process to inform the public and consult with affected landowners will get underway in the next week or so for the new preferred route for the Carrick-on-Suir By-Pass once the NRA approves the proposed corridor.

The Council plans to complete this stage of planning by the end of the year and to then proceed with publishing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) and the Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) for the project.

The new preferred route of the Carrick-on-Suir Bypass replicates the old one along substantial sections of the western half of the scheme. It bypasses Carrick-on-Suir on a wider arc to the north of the town and extends into Co. Kilkenny which the previous route didn't.

It was decided to select a new preferred route two years ago when a review carried out by the NRA found Carrick-on-Suir had expanded up to and beyond the original preferred route.

He said it was anticipated that the EIS and CPO for the Cahir to Pallasgreen dual carriageway section will be prepared before the end of 2011. Once these are approved, an oral hearing will be convened by An Bord Pleanala.

The report was greeted with dismay by councillors. Fine Gael Cllr Michael Fitzgerald said he couldn't see anything happening with these road projects in the next ten years.

"We are talking about EIS reports, CPOs, talking about An Bord Pleanala, talking about reams of paper but quite honestly we are getting nowhere.

We know and the public knows that major road construction in this country is over for a while," he declared

He requested that the Council treat the Tipperary Town Bypass as a separate project and request funds to construct it to relieve the traffic problems on Tipperary's Main Street.

Cllr Fitzgerald's Tipperary Electoral Area colleagues Cllr Denis Leahy, Cllr John Crosse (FG) and Cllr Mary Hanna Hourigan supported the ring road option for Tipperary.

Carrick-on-Suir Cllr Denis Landy proposed that the Council also pursue a ring road for Carrick-on-Suir instead of the dual carriageway bypass as a "half measure" to sort Carrick-on-Suir's traffic problems.

"Now that the money is gone, we are waiting for this dual carriage when we would have been happy with a ring road. We have allowed ourselves to be codded by the NRA," he complained.

He said he was a "bit bamboozled" by Mr McEvoy's report concerning the review of the Carrick Bypass preferred route. He believed it was just another "fob off" and excuse by the NRA to delay the project.

Another Carrick-on-Suir councillor Sylvia Cooney-Sheehan said she was very concerned about the "phenomenal" amount of money already wasted on consultants for this project, whose work was not going to be used now. She asked was it possible to regurgitate some of their proposals for a ring road for Carrick-on-Suir.

Mr McEvoy responded that to get any road project along the N24 over the line the Council had to go through an oral hearing and justify its preferred route and through about six different planning phases.

The NRA made a strategic decision in 2007 to build the new N24 corridor as a type two dual carriageway and the Council pressed for that for safety and accessibility reasons.

In relation to Tipperary, he said there was no easy way to bypass the town due to the Galtee Mountains, the River Suir, railway and building development. Otherwise it would have been done years ago.

The best way to get the bypass constructed was to present a very postive cost benefit analysis of the project. The Council believed it had done this for the N24 section from Cahir to Pallasgreen and was making progress to the final phase.

On the Carrick-on-Suir Bypass, he said the Council believed this route will have a much better chance of getting through the oral hearing.

On consultants, he argued that the Council had to employ them in relation to issues like habitats, noise impact, landscaping as securing approval for a road project was a minefield and you can be tripped up.

County Manager Ned O'Connor said they shared councillors' frustration. He accepted there was some merit in taking out the Tipperary and Carrick-on-Suir sections but you first had to have the route in place and oral hearings completed.
    http://www.nationalist.ie/the/Ring-roads-mooted-for-Carrick.6531754.jp?articlepage=1

Thanks for that link Charlemont - I've cross-posted it on the N24 thread in the Roads Forum.

I have to say, I'm against these ring roads. Firstly, they too will have to be designed, and that means more constraints studies, EIS reports, oral hearings and CPOs. They would also take some time to build even after approval had been granted.

The fact is that the N24 Pallasgreen-Cahir Dual Carriageway scheme will bypass Tipperary Town and do far more besides: It will also bypass Pallasgreen, Oola, Monard, Limerick Junction and Bansha. It will cut journey times between Cahir and Limerick by well over twenty minutes and eliminate tailbacks, many dangerous bends and narrow bridges from the route for over 38 kilometres. It is a far better option, long-term, than a half-baked ring road around Tipp Town. The reality is that the EIS will be ready in 2011 and it will probably be approved in early 2012. After a tendering process of perhaps six to ten months, it could theoretically start construction in mid-2013 at the earliest. This could see it included in the NRA's third PPP programme, which is its best chance of going to construction prior to 2015.

theres a tender out for works on the N24 near the Apple Farm ( which i boycott thanks to the objections to the cahir rathkeevin dual carrigeway ..www.theapplefarm.com/n24.htm - Cached )

http://www.ga.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG165975

Realignment of a 600m Section of the N24 National Primary Route at Rathmore, Cahir, Co.Tipperary.

ill take a guess its the bend with the advisory 60km signs on it.

Thanks for that. Strange to see some realignments on the N24 after years of relative neglect. Since the Cahir-Rathkeevan scheme has been mothballed, some works at least are needed in the interim. I came across that Apple Farm site last week as well. Talk about a vested interest!

Anyway, here is an email from Tom Hayes about the Cahir to Pallasgreen Scheme (which seems to have emerged as a fusion of Pallasgreen-Bansha and Bansha-Cahir):
    Thank you for e-mailing me with your concerns about the proposed N24 Pallasgreen to Cahir By-Pass for Tipperary Town

Can I say you are correct in your assumption that it is not one of the cancelled [schemes] and it is at the EIS proposal stage, which the NRA intend to complete as soon as possible.

I can assure you that I am in constant contact with both the Minister and in particular with Mr. Fred Barry, Chief Executive of the NRA. Mr. Barry has at all times shown a solid commitment to this road as he is familiar with Tipperary Town and the whole corridor and there is an underlying concern by him that something needs to be done.

You are correct in that the pressure needs to be kept on and I intend to do this and I will keep you posted on any developments.

A bit sketchy on the details of when the EIS will be published. I've sought further clarification on that.

This was tendered last January, demonstrating that it's now Pallasgreen to Cahir rather than Pallasgreen to Bansha.
    The provision of environmental consultancy services in relation to the proposed N24 Pallasgreen to Cahir road scheme.The scheme is approximately 38km in length, and is currently at Preliminary Design stage.The services required include the preparation of an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) in accordance with relevant legislation and guidelines, the execution of all necessary environmental studies, surveys and consultations required for the EIS, publication of the EIS subject to the approval of the client, and preparation for, and attendance at oral hearings required for the statutory approval of the EIS. CPV: 71313000.

Also, this was the proposed route corridor for the Cahir to Rathkeevin scheme:

n24map.jpg

• Advertisement

This was in the Clonmel Nationalist today...

DSCF3444.jpg

I wonder who wrote that... ;)

Advertisement