Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lusk Anti Social Behaviour has become dangerous

• 18-02-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Be Careful - Kids/Teens in Lusk seem to have lost the plot when it comes to anti social behaviour. Today they purposely set a fire using accelerant right outside the front door of a house in Orlynn within inches of the car in the driveway. Its a miracle that no one was seriously hurt. In my opinion this is way beyond kids just being a nuisance and everyone needs to start keeping an eye out for each other - please keep an eye out and report anything suspicious to the Gardaí. There has been a lot of anti social behaviour in this area recently but this is escalating things to a new level.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Window of a bus smashed with a brick on Monday near old soccer club

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

micraX wrote: »
    Window of a bus smashed with a brick on Monday near old soccer club

Was it a 33X? There was a load bang or noise on one on Monday evening alright, just after the stop across from the Garda station. It sounded like a noise outside of but impacting the bus. iirc, someone did report it to the driver.

Back to the OP - not to knock the Gardai, but they are stretched and short on resources around NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Was it a 33X? There was a load bang or noise on one on Monday evening alright, just after the stop across from the Garda station. It sounded like a noise outside of but impacting the bus. iirc, someone did report it to the driver.

Back to the OP - not to knock the Gardai, but they are stretched and short on resources around NCD.
    I'm nit sure, just seen someone on face book saying '... Sitting on the bus minding my own business and next a brick comes in the window...' being nosey, like everyone is on the facialbooklet I looked at the comments and seen it was in Lusk.
    I think the kid that done it was mentioned too, because the same name was tagged a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

@the black oil - I understand that they are stretched however its 24 hours later and still no visit or drive by. This situation could very easily have resulted in at least one death or serious injury if the house or car had caught fire - youre talking inches to spare here. I saw it for myself and have no idea how it didn't all go up, I reckon it was petrol or lighter fuel involved.
    My sympathies are with the Gardaí to a degree but they are well aware of a problem down there and they need to react now before someone gets seriously hurt. These kids either don't realise or don't care that they could get into some serious trouble here. If it was someone trying to set your house or car on fire with petrol would you expect the Gardaí to respond, I certainly would?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My understanding is (I'm not a Garda) that Lusk does not have a patrol car that it can call its own. The previous one was scrapped and the current van is on loan from Balbriggan and this has to also cover Rush and Skerries. I may have those finer details wrong, but I believe boots on the ground have also reduced - to say they are stretched is an understatement. In another incident a request for the helicopter was denied on the basis of the cost of the fuel. I'm not giving out to you or the rank and file Gardai, but this is the reality Alan Shatter and co. do not want Joe Public to know.

I hope no one was injured in the bus incident.

• Advertisement

I take your point - but what do we do? We cannot let the village be taken over by gangs of kids, times are bad when you cant even be in your own house without fear of being burned out of it and having your windows put in.
    Yes - The Gardaí are stretched now but if they done deal with underage anti social behaviour they will have a lot worse problems to deal with in years to come. Also these Kids must belong to someone - where is the supervision??

That's a good question.

This thread has reminded me to contact local TDs, so I'll try that for now. Not hopeful of a decent response, mind.

Thanks - have already done that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hechz

There have to be more things for the youth to do around here. I was seventeen years of age half a life time ago... You have all of this energy and nothing to do. it is no wonder they are up to no good, but at the same time where are their parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

shamu2new wrote: »
    Yes - The Gardaí are stretched now but if they done deal with underage anti social behaviour they will have a lot worse problems to deal with in years to come. Also these Kids must belong to someone - where is the supervision??

Cant agree with your sentiments more. First thing people need to do is to complain and also put it in writing. Every neighbour needs to do it not just one or two. Most likely if the person has been named on Facebook locals know who it is and if enough people phone the Gardai giving the names something will have to be done.
    Where is the supervision is also most important point. It is time people stopped speaking up for some of these thugs when the sh1t hits the fan (I regularly defended the youth in the past and still would in most cases but things have certainly got worse over the last 2 years.). Their parents must be made pay. If they are out of work they should still be fined and have a small amount of the money stopped from their payments.
    That's a good question.

This thread has reminded me to contact local TDs, so I'll try that for now. Not hopeful of a decent response, mind.
    I have nearly given up on T.Ds doing anything about this problem. They are well aware of what is going on and sadly it continues and no extra resources for ncd, dont mind the spin we will hear or the silly replies we get. When I did complain about an incident at my house and followed it up 3 days later the Gardai had no record of my call so its no wonder crime figures are falling.
    hechz wrote: »
    There have to be more things for the youth to do around here. I was seventeen years of age half a life time ago... You have all of this energy and nothing to do. it is no wonder they are up to no good, but at the same time where are their parents?
    I dont buy this argument. I am not familiar with Lusk but I hear the same excuses in Rush, nothing for the youth to do. There are loads of clubs and organisations in every village in NCD but not enough people are coming forward to help run them. Its the same handful of people running around most nights to various clubs. Kids are just dropped outside youth clubs, football clubs, Soccer clubs and off the parents go for a "free hour". If some more went in and maybe helped the coachs and tutors and share the workload the clubs would all be better ran and maybe kids would stick with some past times.

Off the top of my head
    Round towers G.A.A. club, Lusk United, Judo, Karate, Pipe band, Lusk Athletics club and I am sure there are others.

The Gardai are stretched to the limit and we are going to have a lot more problems in the coming years if the politicians and civil servants don't increase the budget for Justice. I spoke to 2 Gardai recently and both were just fed up and stated morale has never been so low. They both know what is going on but felt helpless. Their cars are junk and not really fit for the job they are intended. Sadly the relationship between the Gardai and the public is being slowly eroded and in my opinion is doing irreparable damage all over Ireland

Write to superintendent and record your correspondence

• Advertisement
Advertisement