Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike Show NEC 2009

• 07-09-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I need new boots, trousers, gloves and possible a new lid (if the price is right), so thinking about heading to the NEC bikeshow this year.

Is there a better day to go for deals etc?

I see there's a preview day. Whats the benefit of paying an extra tenner in to go for this?

A friday suits me best and the ryanair flights are cheapest midweek (€30 return). Would the last friday be best i.e. towards end of show and best deals? or would this only really happen on the last day?

Or is there a danger of them running out of sizes etc towards the end of the show?

I believe its best to take an empty bag for ryanair baggage charges purposes!! Any other advice appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

I went with a shopping list last year - wanted a new helmet, boots and gloves. Flew over and back on one day (Tuesday, so early in the show). I remember that I got the last of the helmets in my size (Schuberth C3, small in white), even though it was early in the show schedule. As it was the display helmet I got a few quid off too!

I brought over an empty carry-on wheelie bag (meeting ryanair's dimensions) and put my shopping in it for the trip home. It was a tight squeeze! My boots didn't actually fit in, so I had to take off the shoes I was wearing (which could fit into the bag) and wear the bike boots onto the plane!

Ryanair were very insistent on the "one-bag" rule, so peeps who had several shopping bags had to try to cram them into a single bag or wear whatever they'd bought. I remember one guy (not from the bike show by the looks of it) who had a small backpack and a laptop who got acres of grief from the flight staff. They eventually gave him a black plastic bag to put his stuff in....then stopped him from bringing it on because it didn't meet their hand luggage dimensions! He did get on the plane in the end!

If you're checking in a suitcase, Ryanair's charges go up from October (€15 each way per case, max 15kg) and you should book it when you book the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

gipi wrote: »
    I went with a shopping list last year - wanted a new helmet, boots and gloves. Flew over and back on one day (Tuesday, so early in the show). I remember that I got the last of the helmets in my size (Schuberth C3, small in white), even though it was early in the show schedule. As it was the display helmet I got a few quid off too!

I brought over an empty carry-on wheelie bag (meeting ryanair's dimensions) and put my shopping in it for the trip home. It was a tight squeeze! My boots didn't actually fit in, so I had to take off the shoes I was wearing (which could fit into the bag) and wear the bike boots onto the plane!

Ryanair were very insistent on the "one-bag" rule, so peeps who had several shopping bags had to try to cram them into a single bag or wear whatever they'd bought. I remember one guy (not from the bike show by the looks of it) who had a small backpack and a laptop who got acres of grief from the flight staff. They eventually gave him a black plastic bag to put his stuff in....then stopped him from bringing it on because it didn't meet their hand luggage dimensions! He did get on the plane in the end!

If you're checking in a suitcase, Ryanair's charges go up from October (€15 each way per case, max 15kg) and you should book it when you book the flight.

thanks for the responce gipi. I was just checking the flights and can get the preview day (27th Nov) for €30 return. I'm headin with a friend who won't be buying so probably head over with 2 empty backpacks.

Do you know what the preview day is about or is it just an excuse to charge an extra tenner to get in?

The alternative is head over on the friday and back on the saturday afternoon. flights are €20 return for this but then theres obviously hotel and drinkin money but could be a good trip!!! Any idea what Birminghams like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

I found the following info on the preview day on the bike show website:

Preview Day allows visitors access to all the Show features FREE OF CHARGE. So for £28.00 (Adults) not only will you get the first public viewing of the Show, an hour extra, more celebrities, more staff on exhibitor stands, more opportunities to participate in the interactive feature areas, you will also be able to participate in the Mini Moto and Karting, visit the BRAND NEW Bike-light Zone, Wall of Death and Daily Supercross performances (NOT CHAMPIONSHIP ROUNDS). ALL FREE OF CHARGE, plus our other features such as Suzuki Off Road riding, Indoor Off Road riding & Training Zone.

Its worth depends on whether you're interested in the mini-moto & karting I suppose. Having an hour extra isn't going to be of benefit if you're tied to flight times (or going for beer :D).

I've never been in Birmingham itself so can't comment! (as the NEC is at the airport, I didn't leave the area at all last year!).

gipi wrote: »
    I found the following info on the preview day on the bike show website:

Preview Day allows visitors access to all the Show features FREE OF CHARGE. So for £28.00 (Adults) not only will you get the first public viewing of the Show, an hour extra, more celebrities, more staff on exhibitor stands, more opportunities to participate in the interactive feature areas, you will also be able to participate in the Mini Moto and Karting, visit the BRAND NEW Bike-light Zone, Wall of Death and Daily Supercross performances (NOT CHAMPIONSHIP ROUNDS). ALL FREE OF CHARGE, plus our other features such as Suzuki Off Road riding, Indoor Off Road riding & Training Zone.

Its worth depends on whether you're interested in the mini-moto & karting I suppose. Having an hour extra isn't going to be of benefit if you're tied to flight times (or going for beer :D).

I've never been in Birmingham itself so can't comment! (as the NEC is at the airport, I didn't leave the area at all last year!).

sound. I think I'll book that day alright. It's a friday so suits better. cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Iv'e been there twice and they give good bargains on the last day, it saves them bringing home their gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

headin on the 3rd of dec for the day, cant wait. Definitely gonna see what the craic is with the offroad thing they gonna have going on

just booked the preview day on 27th nov.

flights with Ryanair €30 return & Aer Lingus €40

I took the Aer Lingus cause they fly back at 8pm whereas ryanair is 9.30pm. the show ends at 6

can't wait now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

I'm heading on the 2 Dec, Wed with that horrible blue airline. Whats the story with bringing back a lid and the carry on rules for size and one piece of hand luggage.

Can't see if fitting in one of those wheelie bags that meet the sizes so would have to bring a sports bag or ruck sack. Maybe I should wear it onto the plane as a hat?? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

traco wrote: »
    Maybe I should wear it onto the plane as a hat?? :D

Bring a straw so can you have a few drinks and you're sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Bring a straw so can you have a few drinks and you're sorted :D

:rolleyes: Good idea, and I wouldn't have to worry about falling backwards off the bar stool either. Would I need to take it off for passport control I wonder?

• Advertisement
Advertisement