Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"I" lost

• 16-04-2006 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im sorry if this has been discussed I know I read a thread on it a few weeks ago. Thats what got me searching the internet on the topic, but alais Im still a bit confused.

What is the deal with the soul in Buddhism ?

I had always assumed that reincarnation (hindu) was the same as the buddhism view on rebirth, but I think its not. Could someone explain in a few lines if you have a soul or not. If not which part of you, if any is carried over into the next life ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

DinoBot wrote:
    Hi,

Im sorry if this has been discussed I know I read a thread on it a few weeks ago. Thats what got me searching the internet on the topic, but alais Im still a bit confused.

What is the deal with the soul in Buddhism ?

I had always assumed that reincarnation (hindu) was the same as the buddhism view on rebirth, but I think its not. Could someone explain in a few lines if you have a soul or not. If not which part of you, if any is carried over into the next life ?

Thanks

Hi Dinobot and welcome.
    You are asking the most common, yet most complex, question asked of Buddhism and the answer is very hard to fully grasp even with years of study. Up front, Buddhism does not believe in the soul. It very clearly states a belief in anatman {anatta in Pali} or soullessness. Buddhist teachings expound no beginning and no end to one's existence or life. There is virtually no recognition of a first cause — e.g. how does human existence first come about?

There is no almighty God in Buddhism. There is no one to hand out rewards or punishments on a supposedly Judgement Day. It is strictly not a religion in the context of being a faith and worship owing allegiance to a supernatural being. Especially emphasized in Mahayana Buddhism, all sentient beings have Buddha Nature/ Essence. One can become a Buddha (a supreme enlightened being) in due course if one practises diligently and attains purity of mind (ie absolutely no delusions or afflictions). In Buddhism, the ultimate objective of followers/practitioners is enlightenment and/or liberation from Samsara; rather than to go to a Heaven (or a deva realm in the context of Buddhist cosmology). Samsara is a fundamental concept in Buddhism and it is simply the 'perpetual cycles of existence' or endless rounds of rebirth among the six realms of existence. This cyclical rebirth pattern will only end when a sentient being attains Nirvana, i.e. virtual exhaustion of karma, habitual traces, defilements and delusions. All other religions preach one heaven, one earth and one hell, but this perspective is very limited compared with Buddhist samsara where heaven is just one of the six realms of existence.??Karma and Karma Force are cornerstones in Buddhist doctrines. They are expounded very thoroughly in Buddhism. Karma refers to an important metaphysical concept concerned with action and its consequences. This law of karma explains the problem of sufferings, the mystery of the so-called fate and predestination of some religions, and above all the apparent inequality of mankind. Rebirth is another key doctrine in Buddhism and it goes hand in hand with karma. There is a subtle difference between rebirth and reincarnation as expounded in Hinduism. Buddhism rejects the theory of a transmigrating permanent soul, whether created by a god or emanating from a divine essence.
    As you can see form the above, it is very easy to answer your question with a simple NO SOUL response, but it does not answer the question what then takes the place of the soul in Buddhism. The reason is because we are still looking at the question from the point of view of SELF. Here the soul is seen as a continuation of ones current entity. We Buddhists do not believe in the SELF in that context, therefore, we do not need that kind of continuity. The best way to look at it is in the following analogy.
    A man lights a candle during the night to see by. Over the course of the night the candle burns lower and lower until a point is reached when the old candle needs to be replaced with a new one. The man takes a new candle and lights it from the flame of the old one. The old candle is extinguished, and the new candle burns on brightly.
    Does this new flame contain the old flame? Is the new flame the same as the old flame. Is the new flame part new flame and part old flame. What is the connection between the old flame and the new flame, and what actually took place. Something was transferred. What was transferred. For the sake of simplicity lets say that light, or the ability to create light, was transferred. So to in Buddhism, the light of what was me is transferred during rebirth.
    Now you are probably even more confused. I have spent 20 + years at this and I am still confused. However, from these twenty + years I have gained the wisdom to know that a component of what I am (it is actually called Character in Buddhism) continues on life after life until that component attains Nirvana . My task is not to dwell on this issue of self and or to try to pin down what this component is. My task is to work towards being the best/doing the best I can for myself and others realizing that my life is transient. I do the best I can in the clear knowledge that nature will take its own course and thing will work out as they are destined to do. My good actions will keep me on track to meet my destiny. PLease feel free to question more, I will do my best to come up with answers as i am sure my fellow Buddhists here will also do. It is wonderful to see you searching for truth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The problem with the idea of a soul is that it's supposed to be a permanent pretty much unchanging thing. In buddhism, that's a definite no-no.
    Everything changes. Asiaprod brought up the good example of a new candle being lit from the remains of the old one.
    What makes us the same person as we were, say, 10 years ago? It's still clearly us and yet we'd have changed so much - plus apparently every cell in our body gets completely replaced every 7 years. So it's completely different but still us continued on from that.

There is the idea of the lesser self and greater self - the greater self is something I don't think I can explain, but the lesser self is the ego, the conditioning that we have that brings about the "I". The greater self is what's left when you strip all that way. There's not nothing there.
    What is carried onto your next life is your excess karma, possibly accompanied by the "greater self".
    http://www.sgi.org/english/Features/quarterly/0604/buddhism.htm That might help a little bit... I've only come across the idea relatively lately, but it does help me get over the idea of soul-lessness, or anatta.

As for similarities to hinduism, there is karma as Asiaprod mentioned, and there's also Moksha which I think is similar except I think it also involves a soul. Something a little like enlightenment.

I hope this helps...

bluewolf wrote:
    The problem with the idea of a soul is that it's supposed to be a permanent pretty much unchanging thing. In buddhism, that's a definite no-no.

That was very well explained Bluewolf. Thank you. I had forgotten to mention the lesser and Greater self. I was also impressed that you linked to my groups page. For your refeerence here is my own page which I hope is a little more in depth http://etherbods.homeip.net/etherbods/index.shtml. How was Easter, did you get many eggs. I am peed as the wife and kid brought me none. Let them just wait for Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Asiaprod wrote:
    That was very well explained Bluewolf. Thank you. I had forgotten to mention the lesser and Greater self. I was also impressed that you linked to my groups page.
    lol I just noticed that.
    It was the only match I found on the first page of google that seemed to be halfway decent and I couldn't find it again on wiki, they have a good explanation too.
    How was Easter, did you get many eggs. I am peed as the wife and kid brought me none. Let them just wait for Christmas.
    I got 4 and a giant chocolate bunny I haven't even touched yet. I've hardly eaten that much chocolate but I'm so sick of it already =(

Now now, you could use that as a perfect opportunity to show extra tolerance and compassion and buy them things :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sorry to go off topic

Speaking of Easter, I'm surprised we have been asked the question of, Can Buddhists celebrate Easter? ...And what about Christmas?? seeing that it's something that can pop up in a Buddhists life many times over as people try to understand it.

Oh and got a gift of 'After Eight' Egg and an very happy:)

Back on topic,

I am very happy, you take subjects that are hard to grasp from an outside point of view and turn them into something readable and understandable and leave people wanting more :)

Thank you, happy Easter!

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote:
    Now now, you could use that as a perfect opportunity to show extra tolerance and compassion and buy them things :D:D

Thats the whole point, I did!!!
    Did you get to check out the link I sent. I stopped updating that site last year but have decided to resurect it, bring it up to date and expand it to encompas all schools of Buddhism.
    How big is the Choco bunny, I need to drool:(

god's toy wrote:

Oh and got a gift of 'After Eight' Egg and an very happy:)

Arrrrrg, you see, another happy Choco-filled person. Poor me:(

god's toy wrote:
    I am very happy, you take subjects that are hard to grasp from an outside point of view and turn them into something readable and understandable and leave people wanting more :)

Thank you, happy Easter!

Believe me, the pleasure is all ours (that includes you). I am really happy that we are developing this vibrant community here. I have been taught that the two keys to understanding Buddhism are honest debate and less complexity. The old KISS formula holds true for Buddhism. As far as I am concerned, when it come to celebrating things like Easter and Christmas, I am in it for the food. I would never make a good monk, I like food way too much.:) Thats why I am an excellent cook, even if I do say so myself.

Asiaprod wrote:
    Thats the whole point, I did!!!
    Did you get to check out the link I sent. I stopped updating that site last year but have decided to resurect it, bring it up to date and expand it to encompas all schools of Buddhism.
    How big is the Choco bunny, I need to drool:(
    Nope, will check soon.

He's taller than my hand (as tall as but I ate his ears :o ) and fairly wide.
    Speaking of Easter, I'm surprised we have been asked the question of, Can Buddhists celebrate Easter? ...And what about Christmas?? seeing that it's something that can pop up in a Buddhists life many times over as people try to understand it.
    For me -
    easter = chocolate
    christmas = time when people seem to be a little more thoughtful and nice and spreading goodwill and presents. What could possibly be wrong with that!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Hi everybody!
    Just some additional thoughts to the very nice things you have all written about the self. I am absolutely not an expert on the matter, but I’ve just been re-reading a very nice book on the topic by the Norwegian Buddhist philosopher Jon Wetlesen - Self Cognition and Liberation, would be the title in english I think. He writes very thoroughly about these things – But these thoughts here are just what I’ve understood of it. I might not be right in everything… (and if I'm not, I'm sure it is not Wetlesens fault)

Asiaprod wrote:
    we are still looking at the question from the point of view of SELF. Here the soul is seen as a continuation of ones current entity. We Buddhists do not believe in the SELF in that context, therefore, we do not need that kind of continuity.

Yes. However, if I understand this correctly, Buddhism does not deny the existence of a “self” in the conventional meaning of the word – that is that we have personalities, emotional patterns and a sense of an “I”. What Buddhism denies is that this personality and this sense of “I” (in the normal conventional meaning of the word) are something unchanging, eternal and unconditioned - and that it should have existence in an absolute way.
    Interpreted in this way Buddhism can be viewed as a middle path between eternalism and nihilism.
    bluewolf wrote:
    There is the idea of the lesser self and greater self - the greater self is something I don't think I can explain, but the lesser self is the ego, the conditioning that we have that brings about the "I". The greater self is what's left when you strip all that way. There's not nothing there.
    What is carried onto your next life is your excess karma, possibly accompanied by the "greater self".
    http://www.sgi.org/english/Features/quarterly/0604/buddhism.htm That might help a little bit... I've only come across the idea relatively lately, but it does help me get over the idea of soul-lessness, or anatta.

Some Buddhist thinkers therefore leave open the possibility of a Transcendental Self in Buddhism. A Real Self that cannot be explained, and that is not personal, I think? The Buddha seems to have left these questions unanswered. He didn’t really teach about the transcendental, I think?
    Asiaprod wrote:
    Especially emphasized in Mahayana Buddhism, all sentient beings have Buddha Nature/ Essence. One can become a Buddha (a supreme enlightened being) in due course if one practises diligently and attains purity of mind (ie absolutely no delusions or afflictions).

and from a Buddhist point of view isn’t it… also…. possible to say that we already are Buddhas? So becoming a Buddha is really to experience and understand what we really are, and have been, all the time? What we didn’t see, because we were deluded and confused?

Regards,

Maitri

maitri wrote:
    Hi everybody!
    Yes. However, if I understand this correctly, Buddhism does not deny the existence of a “self” in the conventional meaning of the word – that is that we have personalities, emotional patterns and a sense of an “I”. What Buddhism denies is that this personality and this sense of “I” (in the normal conventional meaning of the word) are something unchanging, eternal and unconditioned - and that it should have existence in an absolute way.
    Interpreted in this way Buddhism can be viewed as a middle path between eternalism and nihilism.
    I think in the case of the "I" and personality, a lot of it is sort of social conditioning and so on. Try living in a cave for many years a la Tenzin Palmo and see how much of it is still there...

Some Buddhist thinkers therefore leave open the possibility of a Transcendental Self in Buddhism. A Real Self that cannot be explained, and that is not personal, I think? The Buddha seems to have left these questions unanswered. He didn’t really teach about the transcendental, I think?
    Nope. I must point out that the Theravadan tradition (I think it's them) don't go for the greater/lesser self teaching at all. So yes, it's fairly unanswered and open.
    and from a Buddhist point of view isn’t it… also…. possible to say that we already are Buddhas? So becoming a Buddha is really to experience and understand what we really are, and have been, all the time? What we didn’t see, because we were deluded and confused?
    That's the Zen way of looking at things - that we already have the buddha nature, but it's been built upon by so much rubbish and ego and "I want I want" that it's concealed. But zazen helps bring it out again, I think.

• Advertisement

Thanks for good comments, Bluewolf!
    And for very helpful Buddhist links in the "Buddhist Factbook/Website"-thread. :)

Regards,

Maitri

I am delighted to be helpful :)

maitri wrote:

bluewolf replies:That's the Zen way of looking at things - that we already have the buddha nature, but it's been built upon by so much rubbish and ego and "I want I want" that it's concealed. But zazen helps bring it out again, I think.

Maitri you ask is it possible that we are already Buddha's and the experience is to understand what we are and what we have been. In a way yes, that could indeed be said to hold true. In the school of Buddhism I am in, time has been broken down into ages. The current age is called the The Latter Day of the Law., the time before this one was known as Mappo. The current age, is defined as the age where the Bodhisattvas appear in the world to guide all who seek to reach enlighten.This is going to be hard without a full understanding of this schools teaching, but here goes. According to these teachings, many Buddhists that you will meet are deemed to have been Buddhist in previous lives that attained enlightenment, or some high level of understanding, but who then elected to return to this age to help others attain the goal of enlightenment. A very good example would be the Dalai Lama and a scattering of other monks and individuals around the world. So from this perspective one could indeed say that becoming a Buddha is really to understand what we were, what we are now, and what we will become. Very nearly the same as what you said. But with one major difference, the key difference is that we have to reveal all over again our Buddhahood in each rebirth since an enlightened person cannot reside on this earth in an enlightened form. It is for this reason that we do not say we are already a Buddha.
    bluewolf wrote:
    That's the Zen way of looking at things - that we already have the buddha nature, but it's been built upon by so much rubbish and ego and "I want I want" that it's concealed. But zazen helps bring it out again, I think..

I am a little confused with your answer back to Maitri as she was referring to being a Buddha now and your comment is on Buddha nature. Though your answer is correct in relation to an understanding of Zazen, it may not be the answer to the question she posed which was about being a Buddha now. I think we both understand the same thing, if not, please correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is that all branches of Buddhism, not just Zen, adhere to having Buddha nature as an inherent part of our make up. As I understand it, we are all born with the Buddha nature inside but it needs to be revealed. It is by virtue of awakening this Buddha nature that we then create the potential inside to become a Buddha. This is symbolized in Buddhism by the special place attributed to the Lotus Flower. Just for any that do not know this one. The Lotus flower has two unusual properties. The first is that though it is considered to be a beautiful looking flower with a heavenly scent, it grows in the dirtiest of muddy water. The dirtier the water, the more beautiful the flower. The second point it that it both seeds and blooms at the same time, most plants of course flower, are pollinated and seed. The dirty water and the beauty of the bloom represents that fact that from the heaviest bad karma we can still bring forth our Buddha nature. The dual seeding and blooming represents the simultaneity of cause and effect. It is also why the Lotus Sutra is considered by many to be the King of Sutras. It is the one I use daily.

Asiaprod wrote:
    I am a little confused with your answer back to Maitri as she was referring to being a Buddha now and your comment is on Buddha nature. Though your answer is correct in relation to an understanding of Zazen, it may not be the answer to the question she posed which was about being a Buddha now.
    Oh. That was the difference I'd picked up on with Zen - other traditions sort of aspire/try to become buddhas, Zen says we already are underneath all this. That's what I meant.

In the school of Buddhism I am in, time has been broken down into ages. The current age is called the The Latter Day of the Law.,
    Are you an LDS in disguise?? :D

bluewolf wrote:
    Are you an LDS in disguise?? :D

That answer will cost you one choco Easter bunny, with ears intact

bluewolf wrote:
    Oh. That was the difference I'd picked up on with Zen - other traditions sort of aspire/try to become buddhas, Zen says we already are underneath all this. That's what I meant.

Ah got you, sorry I am not really up to power on Zen. It is the one member in the Buddist family that I have doubts with. It does of course have lots of good stuff too, but I am just not at ease with it.

Asiaprod wrote:
    That answer will cost you one choco Easter bunny, with ears intact
    No bunnies around here I am afraid :D
    Ah got you, sorry I am not really up to power on Zen. It is the one member in the Buddist family that I have doubts with. It does of course have lots of good stuff too, but I am just not at ease with it.
    How come? It seems good to me. Somewhat inclined toward it

bluewolf wrote:
    How come? It seems good to me. Somewhat inclined toward it
    Let me get back to you on it, I want to refresh my memory. I might see it differently after so long.

I just want to add something to what I wrote about that: "Buddhism does not deny the existence of a “self” in the conventional meaning of the word – that is that we have personalities, emotional patterns and a sense of an “I”. What Buddhism denies is that this personality and this sense of “I” (in the normal conventional meaning of the word) are something unchanging, eternal and unconditioned - and that it should have existence in an absolute way."

The trouble, according to Buddhism, starts when we begin to identify with - and therefore to cling to - those changing phenomenons as our personality, psychological patterns and emotions (and even our bodies) are - and even more when we are clinging to pictures/images of what we would want them to be (and so we are not open to the reality - the now - anymore). Clinging to changing impermanent phenomenons is bound to create suffering.

I know that this has probably been said many times here on this forum and in different ways, but anyway I repeat it, since it is very important part of the Buddhist teachings, if I understand them correctly.

Regards,

Maitri

But what are we when everything that is impermanent and changing
    69.gif

is stripped away? ;)57.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Hi,

Thanks all for the replies. This was a very new concept for me. I had always assumed the soul was common to all faiths.

So after some time thinking about it let me see if Im close to understanding.

On rebirth the essence that is "I" will be passed on to the next life, but that essence is not a permenant state, it is itself in constant change hence not a "soul". Is this close ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

DinoBot wrote:
    Hi,

On rebirth the essence that is "I" will be passed on to the next life, but that essence is not a permenant state, it is itself in constant change hence not a "soul". Is this close ?

Thanks

That's about how I understand the buddhist concept of rebirth, too.

84.gif

But where does the Buddha Nature come in to it?

Advertisement