Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Television' Drop Down Cleanup

• 09-10-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure where to direct this so I thought I'd drop it here in Feedback. An ongoing thread in Forum Requests brought this to mind.

Is there any chance one of the Admins could clean up the 'Television' drop down menu a bit?

There are several forums in it for shows that are either finished, unused or otherwise redundant.

I've mentioned this before on some other threads but I thought I'd bring it up properly here. I've seen 'There are too many sub forums in the Television forum already' been used on several occasions as a reason for some shows not having a sub forum. If the TV forum was shifted around a bit there might be some space for those new forums.

This is a list I quckly drew up;

Battlestar Galactica link...should be deleted..already in the 'Finished/Cancelled' drop down menu.

Breaking Bad - Should be in the 'Finished/Cancelled' sub forum

Gameshows and Quizzes- Should be deleted altogether, there are posts in it from 2012 and actual quiz shows like Pointless just have threads here in the main TV forum.

Glee-I'd call for deletion, it isn't being used. There are only 30 posts combined across every thread on the front page of it.

Stargate link- same situation as the Battlestar forum, delete the link, it's in the SciFi & Fantasy drop down.

The Covies- goes without saying.

There's six slots opened up right there.

24 could stay depending on whether or not there's a follow up to Live Another Day.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,743 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It may be worth PMing the Arts CMods to alert them to this thread as they look after the category which covers Television. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

My Little Pony isn't buzzing either, it could be reduced to just a mega-thread in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

My Little Pony isn't buzzing either, it could be reduced to just a mega-thread in fairness.

I didn't want to upset the Bronies :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

That's you waking up tomorrow with a plastic horses head in your bed.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This is already being worked on by the Arts CMod together with the Arts Mods and Mr E.

I'll post this thread over there as a suggestion.

I suppose the big issue with TV is that shows are fad-like so when the fad is over, the forum has to be left to die on its own before moving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

This is already being worked on by the Arts CMod together with the Arts Mods and Mr E.

I'll post this thread over there as a suggestion.

I suppose the big issue with TV is that shows are fad-like so when the fad is over, the forum has to be left to die on its own before moving.

Not really, if its added to the charter that "If and when a show ends a dedicated sub forum will remain open for (a week,month,six months,whatever) and will then be moved to the finished/cancelled section.

Then no one can complain when a show ends and its moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Blay wrote: »
    Breaking Bad - Should be in the 'Finished/Cancelled' sub forum

Will probably be used for the spinoff, I'd leave that one for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Technically the Star Trek forum could go to the cancelled/finished forum too. Granted the franchise isn't (quite) dead yet & has survived through films over the years, but in terms of episodic stuff the franchise fo now is dead. The film forum can cover the next film release too. Just a thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

First thing to do is move Television to the top of the list (A Television?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Myrddin wrote: »
    Technically the Star Trek forum could go to the cancelled/finished forum too. Granted the franchise isn't (quite) dead yet & has survived through films over the years, but in terms of episodic stuff the franchise fo now is dead. The film forum can cover the next film release too. Just a thought :)

Trek is under sci-fi and fantasy in the arts space and could be used for more than television or the films as there are the book series ect.

I don't think it should be removed as its scope is much bigger than just television. It also has the highest post count in its genre.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    Trek is under sci-fi and fantasy in the arts space and could be used for more than television or the films as there are the book series ect.

I don't think it should be removed as its scope is much bigger than just television. It also has the highest post count in its genre.

The scope is bigger alright, but as a regular in that forum I'd say very very little in that forum is posted about the non canon universe. Trek as a tv show is dead, Trek in terms of films gets covered in the films forum...when considering cleaning up the categry you have to question does it warrant staying where it is. You could say the same about similar forums, Stargate etc. Plus it's only a change of address we're talking about, not a closure of the forum

The scope is bigger alright, but as a regular in that forum I'd say very very little in that forum is posted about the non canon universe. Trek as a tv show is dead, Trek in terms of films gets covered in the films forum...when considering cleaning up the categry you have to question does it warrant staying where it is. You could say the same about similar forums, Stargate etc. Plus it's only a change of address we're talking about, not a closure of the forum

Yes but isn't it under arts in general and not under tv?

It maybe dead now but could it pick up, if we are going to look at the sci-if section in this manner there are many forums across the site in which this could apply.

Yes but isn't it under arts in general and not under tv?

Ah I get you now, I thought you meant the Arts category in general. Yep it's under Arts/Sci-Fi & Fantasy.
    It maybe dead now but could it pick up, if we are going to look at the sci-if section in this manner there are many forums across the site in which this could apply.

Trek could pick up, I can't see it happening though, certainly not for a long time. There are zero plans for any new tv show to my knowledge, & the next film could be the last in thee rebooted series of films too. I can't speak for the site as a whole, but the way the Arts category deals with organising tv shows has gotten a bit bloated in recent times, & could benefit from some streamlining. This is being looked at, as mentioned above.

Ah I get you now, I thought you meant the Arts category in general. Yep it's under Arts/Sci-Fi & Fantasy.

Trek could pick up, I can't see it happening though, certainly not for a long time. There are zero plans for any new tv show to my knowledge, & the next film could be the last in thee rebooted series of films too. I can't speak for the site as a whole, but the way the Arts category deals with organising tv shows has gotten a bit bloated in recent times, & could benefit from some streamlining. This is being looked at, as mentioned above.

Same conclusion could be drawn about many sections of the site including your own.

I know you did streamline but there are still forums under the same yard stick as your logic for trek should also be removed.

As trek is under arts and not TV i feel for now it should be left alone, when it comes to reviewing the Sci-Fi section then maybe review it.

Same conclusion could be drawn about many sections of the site including your own.

I know you did streamline but there are still forums under the same yard stick as your logic for trek should also be removed.

We've massively streamlined the Games category over the last year, & gotten rid of quite a few dead forums while amalgamating others. It's a process which is always ongoing, & never 'finished'. Tastes, popularity & trends change all the time, meaning that there's always room for improvement, & new forums will come & dead ones will go. It's a process that happens over time though, & wouldn't be prudent to implement sweeping changes without going through several stages that provide a platform for on going analysis/observation.
    As trek is under arts and not TV i feel for now it should be left alone, when it comes to reviewing the Sci-Fi section then maybe review it.

Star Trek is under Arts/Sci-Fi & Fantasy. Tv is under Arts/Television, so they're both 'under' Arts. Star Trek wouldn't be alone in Arts as being a forum that has arguments for/against moving it, but these types of things are again being discussed by the relevant Cmods/Admins.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'll be writing to the queen to have categry replace category in the dictionary now, much better word altogether.

We've massively streamlined the Games category over the last year, & gotten rid of quite a few dead forums while amalgamating others. It's a process which is always ongoing, & never 'finished'. Tastes, popularity & trends change all the time, meaning that there's always room for improvement, & new forums will come & dead ones will go. It's a process that happens over time though, & wouldn't be prudent to implement sweeping changes without going through several stages that provide a platform for on going analysis/observation.

Star Trek is under Arts/Sci-Fi & Fantasy. Tv is under Arts/Television, so they're both 'under' Arts. Star Trek wouldn't be alone in Arts as being a forum that has arguments for/against moving it, but these types of things are again being discussed by the relevant Cmods/Admins.

The games one has more to do in my opinion as you only have to look at the popular games section to see they are not so popular or the Japanese RPG. My point is that there are more to forums than simple post count at one time and i think from the end of your statement on the games forum you know what i am getting at.

The trek forum could potentially have a relaunch in terms of its purpose, shift off the cobwebs of the TV mind set and open up to the expanded universe.

Advertisement