Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smarten up the bedroom TV

• 11-02-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

Looking to get the bedroom TV smartened up and have the ability to stream stuff from a NAS/HTPC on my home network. I am looking for thoughts from someone who may have purchased an Android Stick or Google TV type device to see what to go for.

Here are the requirements.

· Ability to run XBMC or similar type of media centre set up to allow me to view TV shows, movies etc stored on a NAS/HTPC on my network

· Can be wireless but I have the option to go wired if it really helps

· Small form factor so it will fit behind wall mounted TV

· Would like to be able to use flash to enable RTE player and AerTV etc to be viewed

· Would like it to be able to view shows that have been recorded on Windows MC but thats not a deal breaker

· Remote would be handy (could use my phone as remote if thats possible)

· I don’t need to have all the Android bells and whistles but would like to be able to have things like Youtube and Google Music etc etc but I wont be doing email or much typing etc on the device (as we have a PC for that type of stuff)

· Not over approx €100 all in

I had spotted this today so wondered what people think of it.
    Also have seen good reviews of Pivos but they are stretching the budget a bit so are they worth the extra few quid (and can they be gotten here in Ireland?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I was looking into something similar over the last month or so and ordered this the other day. Similar to the one in the bundle you linked but with bluetooth and has gotten good reviews.

Also only €46 including delivery. They're having a laugh with the price on foffit as well, €199!!! The wireless mouse can be bought here for about €15. That bundle is worth €65 max!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭00sully

what tv do you have? I have numerous friends who have tried cheapo android sticks to run xbmc only to be disappointed with them to say the least. I purchased 2 raspberry pi's to replace my WD live setups - oh man are these things SWEEEEEEET!

I have a Panasonic viera with "viera link" and little did I know this is just panny's version of a HDMI standard called CEC which lets you control the raspberry pi from your tv remote - class.

the only downside I have right now is DTS audio decoding. I need to get a HDMI > SPDIF splitter as the Pi doesn't do audio digital out. that said, if your amp has HDMI input you are laughing. cannot recommend this enough runs xmbc lovely - not as smooth as your pc but damn it's good! btw, I've been researching this for months before I took the plunge ;)

yesterday, I set up a MySql database on my NAS and have my xbmc library shared between devices - wicked. means I only ever have to update my library once in any location (2x tv or my pc) and all are up to date. Start watching a movie upstairs - finish it downstairs. track all watched items etc... wicked job.

there is a thread on bargain alerts saying this does the trick but it's over twice the price I paid for 2 pi's. http://www.amazon.de/ARCTIC-MC001-E-Media-Center-Barebone/dp/B005DL6V8G/ref=sr_1_17?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1360614553&sr=1-17. So there are options, android sticks are a not a good one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

00sully wrote: »
    what tv do you have? I have numerous friends who have tried cheapo android sticks to run xbmc only to be disappointed with them to say the least. I purchased 2 raspberry pi's to replace my WD live setups - oh man are these things SWEEEEEEET!

I have a Panasonic viera with "viera link" and little did I know this is just panny's version of a HDMI standard called CEC which lets you control the raspberry pi from your tv remote - class.

the only downside I have right now is DTS audio decoding. I need to get a HDMI > SPDIF splitter as the Pi doesn't do audio digital out. that said, if your amp has HDMI input you are laughing. cannot recommend this enough runs xmbc lovely - not as smooth as your pc but damn it's good! btw, I've been researching this for months before I took the plunge ;)

yesterday, I set up a MySql database on my NAS and have my xbmc library shared between devices - wicked. means I only ever have to update my library once in any location (2x tv or my pc) and all are up to date. Start watching a movie upstairs - finish it downstairs. track all watched items etc... wicked job.

there is a thread on bargain alerts saying this does the trick but it's over twice the price I paid for 2 pi's. http://www.amazon.de/ARCTIC-MC001-E-Media-Center-Barebone/dp/B005DL6V8G/ref=sr_1_17?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1360614553&sr=1-17. So there are options, android sticks are a not a good one imo.
    I have a 22 inch Logik tv with CEC and it works a treat with my Xperia S at the moment.
    I had a Raspberry Pi running XBMC and too be honest I didn't like it. Too much fiddling and I don't have the time.
    I sold my Pi and now want something I can just plug in and off I go. I am familiar with android so that's why I am looking for a android option.
    I however like the look of the bare bones pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Check out this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056752835

There is no proper option for under €100, the raspberry pi hasn't got the power and most Android options lack hardware acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

What about the Ouya? comes in at budget at $99, bit of a wait but your getting alot for your money with alot of support coming from the big names such as XBMC ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

The mk808b I have is running xmbc no problem. Link : http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290861789834?redirect=mobile

Dazza wrote: »
    The mk808b I have is running xmbc no problem. Link : http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290861789834?redirect=mobile

It'll run it, my phone will run it, but without hardware acceleration video will be rendered on the cpu, not on the graphics chip, you will not be able for 1080p. Have you tried playing a high bitrate 1080p?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

afaik there's a new version of xbmc for android out recently that does support hardware encoding by launching mxplayer instead of playing the video in xbmc. it's meant to play 1080p fine from a local source, but not over wireless... not sure about ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I am just looking for something to play stuff on a small 22 inch tv. I don't have too much HD content so if it will play stuff like my Xperia S at the moment then I think I would be happy.
    I see the Pivos is kinda the XBMC preferred hardware and wonder what people think of it

I think it would be unwise in this day and age not to consider HD as a requirement. Buy cheap, buy twice. Just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

PogMoThoin wrote: »

It'll run it, my phone will run it, but without hardware acceleration video will be rendered on the cpu, not on the graphics chip, you will not be able for 1080p. Have you tried playing a high bitrate 1080p?
    Yeah just this evening I was watching the 1080 version of the walking dead.

Dazza wrote: »
    Yeah just this evening I was watching the 1080 version of the walking dead.

That's not a high bitrate 1080p, all TV is 1080i (interlaced) so would not have a high bitrate. Try the 30Mbit from here (I have movies going over 30Mbit)
    http://jell.yfish.us/

Surprised the pi has been dismissed tbh the video decoding is all on the gpu so is flawless. Couple that with the yatse android remote makes this simply the best bang for Buck there is!? You want more spiffy ui performance just change one line in a config text file to overclock and presto!

Seriously if you've not used this try it. And get yatse for your phone job done!

00sully wrote: »
    Surprised the pi has been dismissed tbh the video decoding is all on the gpu so is flawless. Couple that with the yatse android remote makes this simply the best bang for Buck there is!? You want more spiffy ui performance just change one line in a config text file to overclock and presto!

Seriously if you've not used this try it. And get yatse for your phone job done!

It's the speed it handles the library over SMB. From what I've seen it's not able for 1080p over SMB and lags badly browsing through a big library.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    I was looking into something similar over the last month or so and ordered this the other day. Similar to the one in the bundle you linked but with bluetooth and has gotten good reviews.

Also only €46 including delivery. They're having a laugh with the price on foffit as well, €199!!! The wireless mouse can be bought here for about €15. That bundle is worth €65 max!
    How is this one with XBMC and 1080p video?
    The video mentions streaming fine but off a connected hd?
    And does Netflix work on it?
    Some I read you have to use an older version.

PogMoThoin wrote: »

It's the speed it handles the library over SMB. From what I've seen it's not able for 1080p over SMB and lags badly browsing through a big library.

The library on xbmc is only the meta data. I put my library on my nas mysql server and have it shared among my 3 xbmc installs. It's quick enough as only the thumbnails are cached locally ;-)

Overclock should sort out 1080p video unless it's trying to software decode the audio stream. If you've an amp with HDMI your sorted else you need a splitter.

Advertisement