Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Éireann faces criticism over new online payment system

• 22-07-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/bus-eireann-criticism-school-buses-1583136-Jul2014/

"BUS ÉIREANN HAS come under fire for not providing an adequate system of payment for school buses to those without internet access."

"While a postal system of payment is still available to those without internet access, it is not clearly advertised on the companies website."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But if you don't have Internet you can't read the Website, and if you can read the website, you don't need the Postal option.

Perhaps this is the Joseph Helleresque logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Ah here, could you not ring Bus Eireann customer service or your kids school and ask where to send the cheque?

Its not some impossible task...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bealtine

Dangel4x4 wrote: »
    Ah here, could you not ring Bus Eireann customer service or your kids school and ask where to send the cheque?

Its not some impossible task...

What's a "cheque"?

bealtine wrote: »
    What's a "cheque"?

It's what people who don't have credit cards use to pay for school bus tickets. :rolleyes:

Want to ask any more smart questions?

It's what people who don't have credit cards use to pay for school bus tickets. :rolleyes:

Want to ask any more smart questions?

I assumed they were dead as there is no cheque guarantee scheme since 2011 and they were excluded from the EU Payment Services Directive.

My bank doesn't issue cheque books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cheques are very nearly dead.
    I think some Government depts don't take them and lots of large companies don't.

You can pay by IBAN if you knew Bus Eirean's IBAN number.
    IBAN is safe and secure.
    Free to use most of Europe.
    Anyone with a bank account should find out their IBAN details so people can send you money.

People can only use YOUR IBAN code to put money in your account, never to take it out.

bealtine wrote: »
    I assumed they were dead as there is no cheque guarantee scheme since 2011 and they were excluded from the EU Payment Services Directive.

My bank doesn't issue cheque books

Cheques are still a valid means of payment despite your bank choosing not to issue cheque books. My bank issues cheque books, and I've got €2k in cheques on my desk here that I need to lodge later :)

Government departments will cease accepting cheques at the end of the year, so if a person wanted to be pedantic he would need to get that cheque for next term's bus tickets in soon.

Or pay by postal order, or by bank transfer....

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭impega1

I used the system to pay for my nephews bus ticket for the upcoming school year and I must say I did not find any great problems with the system.

All in all it took about 5 mins to complete the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

In 2014 nearly everyone in Ireland has a current account. Every current account has a debit card issued to it. If you don't have a debit card in 2014, you need to get one. More and more purchases are card only. Even my 85 year old grandmother has had a debit card for 15 years.

Cheques are slow and expensive to process. They are rapidly dying.

I'm not getting into a thing with you on your opinion as to whether cheques are "dead" or not.

Somebody thought he'd make a smart @rse remark - what's a "cheque"?, as if he had just come from Mars and had never heard of the concept before, despite them being a valid method of transferring funds around the place...

Getting back to my original point: if you don't have internet access to make a payment using one of these new-fangled debit card things your granny has, you can post a cheque, bank draft or postal order to pay for your school bus ticket, or do a bank transfer... Plenty of options there. :)

• Advertisement

Getting back to my original point: if you don't have internet access to make a payment using one of these new-fangled debit card things your granny has, you can post a cheque, bank draft or postal order to pay for your school bus ticket, or do a bank transfer... Plenty of options there. :)

Sure indeed you can do all those things in the rapidly closing rural bank network and the rapidly disappearing post office network...

The point is if you don't have internet access you will be penalized for the privilege

Advertisement