Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail Cork-Dublin €39 day return

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

While better than the "normal" fare I wouldn't be getting overly excited TBH

- It's for a "limited time only"
    - You still have to get from Hueston to the City Centre or from the station in Cork to wherever you're going (just like Dublin Bus, not everyone wants to go to An Lar either)
    - Still takes longer than the car.. I can do Cork in 2 hours from the M50/M7 interchange
    - Costs me about €50 in diesel at current rates (ex-tolls). That's for a quicker journey, comfort, door-to-door no changes required. Add on all that to the train fare and the value of the latter lessens somewhat, and not just in raw monetary terms

While a step in the right direction for IE - which would be more the case if they made it permanent - I wouldn't go breaking out the medals either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

This is a great example why competition on the route is working. Irish Rail have had the bus companies put it up to them for the individual traveller who doesn't care how they get to Cork as long as it's good value.

On my last trip to Cork a few weeks ago, we drove as is the norm these days, but I wouldn't dream if was on my own, sharing the diesel and tolls makes driving worth it. The road is surprisingly quiet, so it's very quick run. 2 hrs 30 mins City Centre to City Centre.

Now to the train fares, there is great value for rail passengers in my opinion on the Cork route for passengers:

Individual:
    Advance Booking: €20 return.
    Turn up on the day for a day return after 9am: €39. (Cork - Dublin only for some bizarre reason)

Family:
    1 month open return (2adults + 4 kids): €99.

It seems we moan if they don't offer promotions and when they do, we still give out. Have you ever tried to bundle your kids in a car for a 2 and half hours journey? Que moaning! Tell them they get to go on the train, there and back, they love it!

Not everyone is a solo customer who doesn't mind being cramped up on a bus.

Well done Irish Rail, now roll out the promotions on other routes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Bear in mind from what I have seen the 9.99 fares are only available on about 4-5 trains a day, they're not on every train but it is a good deal if the times suit and you are going from city center to city center and don't mind paying for the luas.

From looking ahead it seems to be the same trains every day at least on weekdays so I'd say they are probably allocating a certain number of fares on the quietest trains at a cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

devnull wrote: »
    Bear in mind from what I have seen the 9.99 fares are only available on about 4-5 trains a day, they're not on every train but it is a good deal if the times suit and you are going from city center to city center and don't mind paying for the luas.

From looking ahead it seems to be the same trains every day at least on weekdays so I'd say they are probably allocating a certain number of fares on the quietest trains at a cheaper price.

Precisely what any sensible business would do. In my job, we offer a discount if you use our services during quiet periods.

There will always be people who can adjust their departure times to fit in with the promotional fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm a big fan of motorways and a big fan of rail. Ive always been a big fan of transport systems. I would dearly love to see IR improve the speeds to compete or reduce the price. But both cost money. However I'm sickened by this further charge to actually get you to the City Centre in cities such as Dublin and Cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement