Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NTA and Translink Journey Planners

• 13-06-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭

The databases for each of the journey planners have been shared, such that you can now plan a trip between any two points, any where in Ireland, north and south.

www.a-b.ie
    www.translink.co.uk

The NTA are looking for feedback on cross-border routes.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Although I believe that the Translink one will only include publicly run bus services and not private ones?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

devnull wrote: »
    Although I believe that the Translink one will only include publicly run bus services and not private ones?

Seems to be Dublin to Belfast on a-b.ie includes the Aircoach service, but the same journey on Translink doesn't!

I see they both use the same travel planner system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Victor wrote: »
    The databases for each of the journey planners have been shared, such that you can now plan a trip between any two points, any where in Ireland, north and south.

www.a-b.ie
    www.translink.co.uk

The NTA are looking for feedback on cross-border routes.
    thats brillliant news.

I contacted NTA about the lack of crossborder services on the a while back so its good to see the databases now being "integrated", although it'd say its more like an occasional import of the other systems dataset more than proper single shared database.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

bk wrote: »
    Seems to be Dublin to Belfast on a-b.ie includes the Aircoach service, but the same journey on Translink doesn't!

I see they both use the same travel planner system.

That is because the NTA are independent of any operator therefore their system shows all of the companies operating routes who are licensed.

Translink are Translink, they directly run the bus and train services through their subsidiaries so of course they will not show their competitors.

NI could do with a body like the NTA, but that is a different topic altogether.

Advertisement